Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Real World Weather

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

I flya Baron 58. I programmed Real Worl Weather from (ORD) Norfolk Virginia to (IAD) Dulles Virginia. Yesterday when I was enrout to IAD I noticed lightening and thunder so I paused FS 9.1 and sure enough there was lightening and thunder about 15 miles NE of my house. This is the first time since siming that when I put in Real World Weather it actually worked. The reason I am brining this up there was a posting about real world weaher a couple of months ago and the person had simular problems that Real World Weather wasn't real world.

Just my observations. The only setting that I have changed is from complex to simple clouds. I don't know if this is the reason for the acuracy or not?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Amazing, I never thought that MS could build it so it would be as accurate as that.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
chrisco17 Trainee

That's cool,
I had a similar thing happen with me.
Only difference is, we were having a local heavy thunderstorm, so I took off from an airport out of the storm's range, and flew into my area, and sure enough, it started to thunder and lightning in FS just as I had hoped for. Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I think it depends on how far away you are from a weather station/airport
Most are automatic and the report is made up via a computer then constantly broadcast in a simular way that fs uses for ATC, ie joining words together

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

So, let's talk about accuracy and reporting the weather..............social security.....................truth in reporting.....................military intelligents.....................no fly zones and private pilots,,,,,,,and proffesional wrestling.
Just kidding all, none of these are easy, and we should celebrate when things go right. Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

Do you mean it thunderstormed at the same time in FS and in real world? It could have been just an accident.

Pro Member First Officer

jelami,

You got me there or not me but the weatherman. Weather forcasting probably isn't that accurate atleast it isn't here in Virginia where I live. I could not trust the Real World Weather till the other day. I have noticed in playing with the settings, (now I have them at default) there is a haze at around 1500 feet or so, which could be tru sometimes in Virginia. But most of the time looking out my window I see no haze so maybe it is intermittent?

Pro Member First Officer

Bartholomew,

As a flash of lightening was streaking on my LCD and I heard thunder. I paused the sime and looked in the general direction from what was portraid on the sim and there was the general direction of what I saw on the sim. Pretty good, but it that accurate all of the time...?? I do not know why, but hey take pleasures while you can.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

The real-world weather is great only for those with weather stations near them. Keep in mind though, just because you have a weather station doesn't mean it's always reporting. If you check local METAR websites, you might find that the most recent metar you can get is for...well that morning, or 6 hours ago, etc. It's only the major ones that get updated quickly, and as a result only those major ones that get it right on. Lucky for me, I live in NYC, so I see the changes right as they happen!

Pro Member First Officer

originalgrunge,

Thank you for the tip. I have never heard of METAR.
I try to learn something new everyday.

Pro Member First Officer

After bragging that Real World Weather is working for me. Now I get a error while connecting to Real World Weather? I do not know why it is doing this my connection is running just fine. I went to Jeppesen and there isn't anyhting to offer as a explaination as to why it won't work. Does anybody out there have any information or are you having the same problems?

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

If you run a firewall, check the configuration again to make sure the FS weather update is able to connect to the site.

Pro Member First Officer
lds_soldier First Officer

Real World Weather is most likely more accurate closer to the radars that FS uses.

Here on Kodiak Island, Alaska that means that if I set FS to RWW, I will be flying in weather that is taking place 600 miles NW of me. So I never use it to fly locally.

Pro Member Trainee
Pitt Trainee

edr1073 wrote:

I flya Baron 58. I programmed Real Worl Weather from (ORD) Norfolk Virginia to (IAD) Dulles Virginia. Yesterday when I was enrout to IAD I noticed lightening and thunder so I paused FS 9.1 and sure enough there was lightening and thunder about 15 miles NE of my house. This is the first time since siming that when I put in Real World Weather it actually worked. The reason I am brining this up there was a posting about real world weaher a couple of months ago and the person had simular problems that Real World Weather wasn't real world.

Just my observations. The only setting that I have changed is from complex to simple clouds. I don't know if this is the reason for the acuracy or not?

Well its also very acurate in my area once a thunderstorm is in the area thats the same thing happen when i was flying in fs 2004 so accurate cant wait to get fs 2006 for more realistic stuffs.

Pro Member First Officer

I guess the server has been down. For two days I couldn't get Real World Weather. Now it is working fine again and just as accurate as before. Things get tired and have to be rebuilt. Which I am going to do with my router and just do a general cleanup of my system.

Laughing