Hardware for FS2004

What Joystick/Pad/Controller are you using?
Microsoft Sidewinder
36%
 36%  [ 16 ]
Logitech
36%
 36%  [ 16 ]
Thrustmaster
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Saitek
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
CH Products
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Logic 3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 44

Pro Member Trainee
James Loker-Steele (jamesloker) Trainee

Hi,
Just got back into the flight sim scene (originally played with version 3 and Version 4 for DOS many moons ago.)
I have Flight Sim 2004 and want to get a fairly decent Joystick and Throttle controller without breaking the bank.
Have looked at MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, but apparently microsoft arent making it anymore and are ending their line of Game Controllers (Shame because i think there pretty damn good. I have a force feedback steering wheel)
Can anyone suggest a joystick controller that is similar to the Microsoft one? I read that the Logitech ones are rubbish. Anyone know if Saitek are any good.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
BashDaBish Guest

I am using Logitech WingMan Force 3D and have no problems with it whatsoever.

I here the one to get though is the Saitek X52 http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52.htm

Don't think it has force feedback but according to those who use this, that really is not an issue.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I am using exactly the same joystick as BishDaBash and have had no problems with it, extremely nice and quite cheap 👍

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

Logitech EXTREME3DPRO here.

Like the girl in the nursery rhyme: "When she was good, she was very good, but when she was bad, she was horrid."

I've never dropped it, kicked it, spindled or mutiliated it. I've cleaned out the old drivers and reinstalled new. I've spoken to it softly. Nothing works for very long--it will just randomly act funny and I have to calibrate again. It will work great for several days, and other times it misbehaves serveral times in the same day.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Well' Im using mainly the Microsoft Side Winder for the Flight Simulator and I'm using the Logitech WingMan Force 3D with some throttles for ELITE [ a PC training simulator].

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

SoCalRick wrote:

Like the girl in the nursery rhyme: "When she was good, she was very good, but when she was bad, she was horrid."

I've never dropped it, kicked it, spindled or mutiliated it. I've cleaned out the old drivers and reinstalled new. I've spoken to it softly. Nothing works for very long--it will just randomly act funny and I have to calibrate again. It will work great for several days, and other times it misbehaves serveral times in the same day.

I have the same stick as you, Rick. It is a greeeat stick. I just love it!
Oh, by the way, what drivers did you download for the stick?

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

Agus0404 wrote:

SoCalRick wrote:

I have the same stick as you, Rick. It is a greeeat stick. I just love it!
Oh, by the way, what drivers did you download for the stick?

Yup, it's a great stick. Was even greater during the warranty period, lol.

Drivers: Clear Calibration Utility, Flight Simulator 2004 Profiles, and LGS.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I used to have a MS Sidewinder but it had no twist
So I went for a Saitek ST290pro Very cheap but works a treat as it does everything I need 👍

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

I use a ch products yoke. It has throttle, prop and rudder control. It has a landing gear and a flap button. It also has a bunch of trim control wheels and buttons. It has view buttons to change from the cockpit views to spot, virtual cockpit, and tower buttons. Even though it costs $120 dollars it well worth it.

Pro Member Captain

tomthetank wrote:

So I went for a Saitek ST290pro Very cheap but works a treat as it does everything I need 👍

What does the twist on a Joystick do ❓

amermel wrote:

I use a ch products yoke. It has throttle, prop and rudder control. It has a landing gear and a flap button. It also has a bunch of trim control wheels and buttons. It has view buttons to change from the cockpit views to spot, virtual cockpit, and tower buttons. Even though it costs $120 dollars it well worth it.

I've got it to and I have admit it well worth it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

A twist stick controls the rudder,which is very handy for getting those centre line landings 👍

Tip for you with a twist stick,switch off the yaw damper

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

SoCalRick wrote:

I love to use it. Group Wave

Pro Member Captain

tomthetank wrote:

A twist stick controls the rudder,which is very handy for getting those centre line landings 👍

Tip for you with a twist stick,switch off the yaw damper

Thanks for the handy tip. I'll put it to good use.

tomthetank wrote:

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

SoCalRick wrote:

🤔 must have gotten a 'monday-morning' stick... I'm using mine, flying around the globe happily.
Never had any sort of issue with it whatsoever since day one.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

sidewinder 2 precision for me..... cant beet it. EBay has loads for sale if you have a preference.

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

I use a Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro. I gess it's old-skool now. 🙄 Its really nice, and after like 6-7 years, still works like a charm.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have a Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro2 USB, too bad they discontinued it, it's a great stick.
I guess if I had to buy one now I would have to go for the Saitek X45 or X52.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

It is a bit old now.... but you get used to what you're used to..... would be interested in other peoples views though

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Since FS '98 I've been using the MS Sidewinder Precision Pro. Very happy with it and will keep it until it falls apart.

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

Tailhook said:

MS Sidewinder Precision Pro. Very happy with it and will keep it until it falls apart.

Punk Me Too![/b]

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Logitech Attack3 for me.(cheap but good solution) 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

I've got the microsft sidewinder 2 Force feedback. its great as it has a twist stick and good for lining up on the centre line especially in crosswinds.

its especially good for hard landings and ya feel it all, and especially if ya stall the stick starts shaking.

im getting the ch yoke soon only reason im changing from sidewinder 2 is it will be more realistic with yoke 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...