Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Weird landing...

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I was coming in for a landing and I was given clearance to land so the runway was right in front of me and i was only about 300 feet off the ground and at the last second for no reason at all ATC tells me to go around but i was already bringing the plane down so i just landed there anyway. It didn't seem to make sense because nothing was on the runway and i was like right there.

crosscheck9 Guest

could be an error from the sim...in reality, however, there could have been some emergency aircraft which needed a 100% clear runway to land on, for safety, etc. so look on the bright side, it's still offering realism.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

It could be a bunch of things.

Here's a real world example that happened to me not even a few months ago.

We were in short final, doing ILS landings, in an HC-130 and part of the job of the non-flying pilot is to scan the runway. I heard the Aircraft Commander say "go-around! GO Around!"

I applied power checked torque, and pulled back on the stick. I had the ILS shacked, so I didn't know what the issue was. We reconfigured the aircraft, and when I wasked what the issue was I found out that the aircraft waiting at the hammer head had taxied over the hold line.

If we would have landed, legally it is a runway incursion, since two aircraft were on the runway at the same time.

The sim has had me taxi onto the runway for departure before the landing aircraft has cleared the active. This is fine for position and hold, but not for full out clearance. It's a glitch with the sim that makes it very unrealistic.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

CoasterXtreme wrote:

I was coming in for a landing and I was given clearance to land so the runway was right in front of me and i was only about 300 feet off the ground and at the last second for no reason at all ATC tells me to go around but i was already bringing the plane down so i just landed there anyway. It didn't seem to make sense because nothing was on the runway and i was like right there.

That's odd. I've totally ignored go-arounds before. I try not to though.

spuddi Guest

the other cause could be that it had given clearance to land to another aircraft before it gave it to you but that aircraft might have been behind you. It seems to be a bug in the way the FS9 ATC handles aircraft at different speeds. heres how the bug can happen.

ATC gives permission to land to a slow Aircraft1. it then gives permission for Aircraft2 to land.
Aircraft2 is much faster so overtakes aircraft1 on the approach.
Aircraft2 has got a clear runway in front of him and has been given permission to land, but at the last minute is given the go-around.
This is beacuse the ATC is waiting for Aircraft1 to land and clear the runway, even though by now Aircraft1 is still a few miles out.

hopefully in FS2006 they will sort out the speeds/seperation handling within ATC.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Oh yes, that is probally what happened. I forgot about that occasion. That has happened to me many times. 😉