Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Landings

Pro Member Trainee
flybri Trainee

I need advice on landings. On an ILS route I can't seem to make the plane land itself. I do sometimes but not always. Any tips on landings?

Pro Member Trainee
ronaldpatton Trainee

I found that when flying real airplanes, airspeed is the key. I found it true with FS2004. Set your approach speed at around 1.3 x Vso (the speed at the bottom of the white arc on the airspeed indicator) or the recommend approach speed in the POH and trim the aircraft to follow the glideslope (around 400-800 fps depending on the winds, angle of the GS and speed of the aircraft). I shoot approaches for real with the first notch of flaps and the gear down and keep it that way all the way down. If you have everything trimmed up right, the aircraft should stay on track when you turn off the autopilot (if you used it) at DH (decision height). As you cross the numbers, ease the power to idle, and start your flair so that you settle slowly onto the runway. I pull the power off and hit the trim button on the yoke to use trim for the flair (makes for a smoother maneuver and less chance that you will balloon). I use the CH yoke and have button 1 set as the auto pilot on/off-where it is on an actual aircraft. Actually there wouyld be 2 buttons about there with the other being the push-to-talk. Another good practice is to setup the aircraft for the approach in the procedure turn outbound or before you get to the FAF. That way you need only pull the power back a bit to start your decent at the FAF and follow the GS. I hope this helps.

Ron

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Very Happy Hello
Most pilots only use the ILS to about 1000ft then land manually and a point to make out is that autopilot is not an auto land system (it gives the pilots a less stressful job but cannot land the aircraft)

However if you want a panel with an autoland that works seek out a panel called
greg737 A great panel with alt call outs, cabin announcments,throtle quad,radio stack and an auto land all in one screen

and use the site search on Fs2004 panels

Hope this helps

Pro Member Trainee
ronaldpatton Trainee

Flying an ILS to 1000 ft is no different than any non-presision approach. In real life, you use an ILS to get down when the ceilings are low 200-400' where a circle to land won't work. I don't use an autopilot during an ILS as an autoland system, just as a means of getting to a point where I can land. My point was that if you have set up a stabilized approach and can follow the ILS down to minimums, your aircraft should be all trimmed up and set to land. The last 200' should involve a minimum of heading changes; a power reduction and flair should get you on the runway in one piece. Practice hand flying the ILS all the way down and you will find that your over all skills will improve greatly. No matter what type of approach you make, setting up a stabilized decent on final with the right airspeed is the key to a good landing. Short final is the wrong place to be making major corrections, you are better off to go around and set up the approach again.

Pro Member First Officer
patw First Officer

A good landing starts with a good approach, as ronaldpatton said - you should not be making major correction at short final. I always set a limit of 6nm to have the right speed and altitude, disengage auto pilot around 2nm from runway and I always have a perfect landing.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

As all of you guys have been saying, approach is a critical part of a smooth and well appreciated landing. The landing should be planned a long way before the approach; the worst thing is when you don't realise you are coming extremely fast/close to the airport (very easy in sim!) and you need to land. Make sure you are familiar with the airport you are coming into to, if not physically familiar, make sure you look at the maps. Best of luck Smile