SearchSearch 

Thats my story, whats yours?

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Hi guys,

Laying in bed the other night, i took to thinking about our lovely sim and i wanted to know 2 things.

1) How old are you? I would love to know the ages of the pilots on here, or at least approx ages if you are shy! Embarassed

2) what made you start flying in flight sims?

To be fair, my answers are as follows.

I am 24 and i started simming as i picked up a cheap copy of fs2000.

Pretty naf graphics, but still managed to get me hooked! I left it for a year but soon returned and will never leave it again.

Thats my story, whats yours? 😎

30 Responses

BashDaBish Guest

24 and laying in bed thinking of flight sim! 😛

I will not tell you what I was thinking whilst laying in bed the other night..........but put it this way, I didn't need a GPS 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

I just turned 15 and I started flying because I really liked planes, and wondered what it would look like to see the earth from the sky. I was so crazy of them that I would stare at them flying in the sky until they were out of sight!!! Then one of my friends showed me his simulator and I got hooked!!!!

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

I just turned 13.

I got interested in airplanes when I was really little. My dad and I would always go down to the airport and watch planes take off. I also had a little wooden plane that would hang from my ceilling over my bed. Before I went to bed my dad would tell me these bazzar airplane stories and reanact them with the airplane obove my bed. Then I got FS98, then took a couple of flight lessons, and got FS2004. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I am 12 year-old boy.
My birthday is November 4. (just thought I'd add that) 😂

To make a long story short, my dad used to fly and he had FS98. Then I got FS8 and FS9.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

so far, pilots are a lot younger than i thought.

Where are the old bold pilots, that there should be here?

Well done to you guys though, a fantastic interest you have. Never know, you could be flying me round the world in years to come!

Micah 😎

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I'm 34 and got into flight sims on the Sinclair ZX81 (Nite Flight). Most members of the virtual airline I fly with are over 25, most over 30.

Dave

Pro Member Trainee
neseng Trainee

Well, well, well! .....It is good to see so many young people enjoying flight simming! I have had a very keen interest in most forms of aviation since I was about 10 years old. I started flying sims in about 1996 (don't remember what version it was then) on an old 486 PC, ....painfully slow and really crude graphics! I get a great deal of enjoyment and relaxation from FS9 and never get tired of trying new places or new aircraft or simply sitting back and cruising around in my favourite aircaft. .......Oh darn, I am rambling on and didn't get to answer the main question, ....must be the age! .......I turned 57 this year........

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I'm nearly 17 (next month) and had FS95 for which I used for quite a while, but never really understood it, so I got bored of it and then a few years later, bought FS9 which I became very interested in and I now use it very often 😉

robbier Guest

I am 11 years old, and i got interested in flightsim when i was younger, i used to like trains a lot, then i switched over to planes. my dad started to take me to the airport to watch some flights every once and a while. i had a friend who had FS98, and i went over to his house one time and tried it, and i loved it!! so, i went to the store and got FS2002, and i was amazed on how more realistic it was than FS98, and now i have FS2004, and eagerly waiting to purchase FS2006.

Its a lon story, but its my story

-robbier

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

FS9 is my first sim and I started about 10-11 months ago.I have always loved aircraft and my dream is to become a airline pilot for a major airline and then one day fly the long houlers 🙂 but from what I have heard its vary hard to become a cermercial pilot.

I'm 13 and was born in Edinburgh

I was on a 737-500 Aer lingus yesterday and everything was so bueatyful with the amazing clouds (Stratus and Cumulas and even some thunder) and the AP was so much fun with a 15 knot cross wind (thats a guess) and terbulance led to very fun landing with HARD braking!!I took some photos of cruise but no landing one shots becouse I was not aloud to Crying or Very sad Mad I wish pasangers were aloud to go into the cockpit then I would have got some great photos for you.

How about some of you telling us about your worst experience in the air was?

Last edited by Zach (ranald) on Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

ranald wrote:

The approach into Sharm el Sheikh on an A300 (HESH?) in Egypt was the worst thing ever. It was quite stormy and the clouds were very dense and extremely humid. We were dropping out of the sky every 5 seconds. Amazing I didn't throw up on someone, I just felt ill when I got off. I'm not normally one to be affected by turbulence and bumpyness but that was just horrible 😉

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Never had a bad expirence, but once we were coming into Dallas/Ft. Worth in a 767 and it got hit by lightning. It was so cool!

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew (n287s) Trainee

im 14 (15 in august). I have been flying sims since i was 10 and ive been flying gliders since i was 12. My worst real life flying experience was this past september, i was being towed in the glider and it got very cold as we climbed through 4,000 feet. ice started to form on the canopy and on the wingtips. then we made a left turn and headed toward the mountain. We ended up turning right into a cloud and the towplane disappeared into it. all we could see was the rope. so i pulled the release and made a right turn as you always do when you release. I pulled the spolilers out to get down through the cloud and came out. This was my worst experience because it is not fun to follow a rope into the clouds.

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan hasn't posted on this thread yet! 😂

Not to be mean, just teasing. Poke in Eye

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

RadarMan hasn't posted on this thread yet! 😂

Not to be mean, just teasing. Poke in Eye

😁 And he won't! 😀

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

I've been drawing airplanes in my art since I was two years old and I loved it. All I still draw now is airplanes. I love them, I love the way they fly, I love the way they land, I love the way they take off, I love the fact that they have so many controls (makes you seem more professional 🙂 ). Then as soon as I heard about flight simualtor, I bought the FS2002, then I say the new one, I had to wait a few months before I could buy the new one.

And then I bought it....I fainted with happiness 🙂. I really want to be a commercial pilot now, I still have hopes and now that I have joined the air cadets, I might start learning something afterall!

Pro Member First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

😁 And he won't! 😀

You just did!! 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I'm 17 (18 in october) and I started flightsimming with FS9

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

Radarman is like me--he knows the whole world can read this, the good, the bad, and the ugly alike! I do not like to give out too many facts online, so I'll say that I've owned Flight Simulator for 7 years. You can decide if I started at 10 or 20 or...

As for Radarman, he'll be 100 this year, lol!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

SoCalRick wrote:

Radarman is like me--he knows the whole world can read this, the good, the bad, and the ugly alike! I do not like to give out too many facts online, so I'll say that I've owned Flight Simulator for 7 years. You can decide if I started at 10 or 20 or...

Correct! 👍
Why are you making me a year older than I am. No, No! ROFL

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

SoCalRick wrote:

Correct! 👍
Why are you making me a year older than I am. No, No! ROFL

Radar

Drat! Foiled again! So RadarMan Radar is actually 98 and he'll be 99 this year, lol!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

This is my story:

I'm 18 (19 in March 2006 😛 )

When I was young (I think 5 years old) we used to go from Argentina to Brasil for vacations. We are still doing that, but every year, since I live far away from Brasil now.
Well, during all those flights in my younger years, I was really enjoying everything. From that day, I told my mom that I wanted to become a pilot.
Everytime I fly in real life I enjoy every single part of the flight.
I've bought many simulators, but not from Microsoft. That means that FS2004 is my first Micrsoft Flight Simulator.

A year ago, I wanted to be a doctor, since I like medicine, too. But finally I decided to be a pilot and that's my final decision, my dream since I was a little boy, and my hope. The skies are waiting for me.... 😉

I'd like to fly for TAP Portugal, since I'm living in Portugal. That's a very awesome airline and is the newest member of Star Alliance ❤️

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I suppose i never did say any of my future plans and whatnot, so i'll jsut add that I plan on going to the University of Stubenville, in Ohio, for a double-major German/English, then going back for my masters in German, and then gettitng a Teaching certificate so I can teach both Germ and English

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's awesome, FEM!
I like to teach too. I wanted to be a math teacher once, when I was in Middle School, but I decided not to after 1 or 2 months. Anyway, I still enjoy teaching my lazy friends math. They don't do their homework because they don't know how to. And then, here I come, to teach them how to do it. Now, I don't have school, as you probably know. But I actually teached my friends math. I wasn't the best math teacher, but I'm pretty good at it.

Pro Member First Officer

No offence but, if you come and and look in my school and see the behaviour of some of the students there, you might never want to be a teached again 😳 Surrender

Pro Member Chief Captain

Wow, bad guys, huh? 🙄
Luckily, my school has really nice students. They behave well, but some are lazy.
Ok, yes, some of them don't behave as angels, but teachers know what to do to make the school safe.
No one is my school comes with a knife or something. I remember in my school in Miami, FL, that the security guys came the second week of school to check us with metal detectors... 🙄 Well, that's really good, actually. It makes the school safe.

Guest Ed Guest

neseng wrote:

..must be the age! .......I turned 57 this year........

Well, I'm glad I'm not the oldest here-- I'm only 54. I've only been sim-flying since Christmas of 2003, when my dear wife gave me FS09 and a joystick as a gift.

Worst flying experience-- several years ago I was on a business trip, flying into Birmingham, Alabama, USA, (I think it was a DC-9 or something similar), and we were very close to landing, maybe 500 feet above the ground, when suddenly the pilot applied full power and pulled up and "went around." We flew a left traffic pattern over the city at very low altitude, maybe 2000 feet. After we got straightened out on the downwind leg, the pilot came on the PA and said in his best Chuck Yeager drawl, "Well, sorry 'bout that, ladies and gentlemen, but we were just about to land and a small aircraft pulled out onto the runway in front of us." It was one of those "I could have died!" kind of moments. Of course, the guys in that small aircraft probably had to taxi back to the hanger and change their shorts, too. . . 😂

Ed

Pro Member First Officer

Agus0404 wrote:

Wow, bad guys, huh? 🙄
Luckily, my school has really nice students. They behave well, but some are lazy.
Ok, yes, some of them don't behave as angels, but teachers know what to do to make the school safe.
No one is my school comes with a knife or something. I remember in my school in Miami, FL, that the security guys came the second week of school to check us with metal detectors... 🙄 Well, that's really good, actually. It makes the school safe.

I'm glad you like it in your original school, i was just saying anyway 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

I don't do that anymore....you know why.

Ed, that experience must be scary. Well, I wouldn't be scared if the pilot makes a go-around. I know that that's a safe procedure. It could have been worse if the pilot decides to don't go-around. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain

twistedsucker wrote:

No offence but, if you come and and look in my school and see the behaviour of some of the students there, you might never want to be a teached again 😳 Surrender

Well, I go to a private school right now. The school is good, but our class of 6 girls and 3 boys gets very violent! Evil or Very Mad We have riots almost every day! I told you about my night mare I had. Today our school went to a nearby park for the 2nd to last day of school. (this was our last day though because 6th graders get the last day off) While we were at the park, the evil Evil or Very Mad girls attacked my friend with footballs. The teachers saw it and only told them to "knock it off". It's not realistic to get in trouble on the last day of school. Anyway, when we got to the classroom one of the evil ones slapped me over the head! Mad As usual the teacher did not see it. Whip It's a good thing that graduation is tonight! I agree though, there are alot of schools where you can get killed.