Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Power Supply

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Hey, i just found out that i've got a 250w Power Supply, and my vid card says it needs like a 300, or 350 for "fully loaded" systems. My question is, when i get my new case, with a 450W PS, will I notice a difference at all?

Thankee

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes you will, the video card will have full power now if the p/s is a good one.
Cheap ones that are 450w are as good as a good 240w.
The best is Antec, everything in your computer uses some of that p/s. If you drain it too much nothing will run at it's full potential.
USB is now so popular the many of your peripherals are draining the power also.
If I had to buy one separately I would get an Antec 500-600w, in the long run your ahead.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

I have an ANtec 480 watt. And there is definately a difference. Spend the money it is worth it...!!! Besides you can customize with the better Power Supplies.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

If you're curious about how much you actually need.

here is good calculator.

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_supply/

my system calculates to 304 watts..

I have a 350 watt Enermax.

Man, I hate to disagree with Radarman ! But I cannot believe you will notice a difference. You either have enough power or you don't! Having said that, you are building an entirely new system that is much better than your current one...so of courde, you should notice a improvement! If you aren't convinced, put the new PS in the old system first and see if framerates / graphics improve. I envy you as I love building new systems and that first time I start up FS !!! All this wasn't said to discourage you from using a good PS...as I believe you should!! Good Luck, rob P.S. Course, how will we know since you have uninstalled FS?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Man, I hate to disagree with Radarman ! But I cannot believe you will notice a difference. You either have enough power or you don't! Having said that, you are building an entirely new system that is much better than your current one...so of courde, you should notice a improvement! If you aren't convinced, put the new PS in the old system first and see if framerates / graphics improve. I envy you as I love building new systems and that first time I start up FS !!! All this wasn't said to discourage you from using a good PS...as I believe you should!! Good Luck, rob P.S. Course, how will we know since you have uninstalled FS?

Hey, you may be right, I've never built a system but have been doing some research on doing one.

If you go by that power calculator or the directions on some cards (especially Nvidia) you need more than a 250w p/s.

I'm going to be coming to you guys for help when I build mine.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Hey, you may be right, I've never built a system but have been doing some research on doing one.

Do it Radarman,

It is not difficult, and will give you a great sense of satisfaction..

plus, you wind up with a lean, clean machine built by you for your specific needs. Building your own also eliminates most of the add on CRAPware which Dell, HP and nearly all the others throw on their builds. Even the local shoppes like to throw on their own preferences as far as anti virus and other programs.

A better machine for less money..How can you beat that? Shocked

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Michael_H,

Totaly agree with you. They put so much propritary crap on them they wind up breaking down and then you have to replace them anyway. I had an HP that had a baby ATX board and I needed to change the powersupply. Well, I bought a ATX powersupply without thinking about the form factor and well. It didn't last past the post.

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Radarman ! I can't believe I posted as "Guest." The first time I disagreed with you and didn't realize I was not signed in !!! Yes, build it ! We are here for you as you are for all of us ! And Yes, they take more power. I wouldn't build one now with less than 450 W just because of all the junk there is available to plug in !!! SeeYa, rob

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Thanks for the push guys it always helps.
I want to (as you put) pick and choose what goes into it carefully. I'm tired of junk even when I spend thousands every time on a branded machine.
Last time I tried as hard as I could to "customize" this one and forgot about a good p/s and didn't know anything about video cards, I upgraded to a piece of junk and had to spend more to replace that.
I can see what they put on a machine when I do a clean install of Windows, I put so much less back than they do.

With all the hardware changing because the OS will change now is not the time to build from the ground up. I'm aware that a machine is obsolete when you open the carton but by this time next year everything will have been replaced, it's the type of revolution W95 caused 10 years ago. It's going to be an exciting time, high volume DVD burners, duel core 64mb chips, SATA2 drives, duel video cards...amazing. BTX disappeared before it got started.
I could ramble on, I find this fascinating, I only wish I were more of a geek than I am. Now I'm a pseudo geek but I try harder.

Rob (Habu), When I read your post I saw your name on it and was surprised that you didn't log-in to post it.

Radar