Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Frame rate

Andy2005 Guest

Hi guys
I'm having a slight problem with my frame rate. It's just too low lately. It used to run superbly, very smooth, even at with all display settings maxed out. However, recently it's been going very jerkily. It seems to have happened since my Dad installed a new computer security programme called 'Mcafee'. Before this we just used Norton and I had no problems with that. In fact, all things on the computer seem to be happening slower, but its more irritating when flying a plane. I've defragged and everything. The only way I can get the frame rate up to what it was before is by severely decreasing the display quality. Any suggestions recieved gratefully.
Andy 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Both of those programs are power hungry, running in the background they use up valuable resources, just check your taskmanager.

Try using this program to shut down all of those while flying.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Henning+Schaefer&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Andy2005 Guest

Thanks RM. 😀 Always there to help.
However, now I've downloaded it I have another problem. I get an error saying fs9 wasn't detected. 😞
Any suggestions?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Delete it, clean it out using search and try it again.

I just loaded it, follow the wizard it should be able to find FS9.

The sim and the shut-down should be on the same drive, the main "C" one where Windows is located.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

I agree with RM that those apps will hurt your performance. I disable "Auto Protect" (Norton) by right-clicking the system tray icon and making that selection before starting FS9.

Another thing to try is a thorough defrag. Believe it or not you can see the difference in the sim afterwards.

Also, if you haven't done so already, go to

➡ C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Autogen\

and rename default.xml to default.xmlBAK. That will increase FPS over populated areas, and you won't notice anything different except better performance.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Agree with everyone above. You certainlay don't need any anti virus scanner running while you are flying..You don't need anything in the system tray except a software firewall if you have one and maybe the volume control.

bye the way, McAfee is notorious for causing more problems than it fixes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I agriee with all the others and i have to add that i had Mcaffe in my Jobs PC (a pentium4 in 2.4Ghz).When i get Norton for home using i install it too in my job and i notice difference.But anyway as all the other said they both are hungry for power and it isnt necesery to run when u run MS or other games.(MS isnt a game to avoid offend someone 😀 )

Greekman72

Andy2005 Guest

Thanks for the reponse guys. Hopefully with your advice I shouldn't have the problem too much longer.

bye the way, McAfee is notorious for causing more problems than it fixes.

I agree from my experience so far.
Andy

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Agree with everyone above. You certainlay don't need any anti virus scanner running while you are flying..You don't need anything in the system tray except a software firewall if you have one and maybe the volume control.

Should add, just so there is no misunderstanding:

If you are flying online, then I would recommend leaving your AV on.

Andy2005 Guest

Thanks for everyone who's given me advice in this topic. I'm now back up to a silky smooth frame rate. Group Wave
Andy

spuddi Guest

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Autogen\

and rename default.xml to default.xmlBAK. That will increase FPS over populated areas, and you won't notice anything different except better performance.

whats the theory behind this? how does it work?

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

spuddi wrote:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Autogen\

whats the theory behind this? how does it work?

The file default.xml contains the new autogen items for FS9, primarily fast food buildings and some signs. If you've ever flown low over a city and seen a large chicken, fish, or steer on a pole beside a building, this is what I'm referring to. So you'll lose these creations by renaming or deleting the file and gain from 5-15 FPS when you fly over cities and towns that contained these autogen items.

The best part is most people don't fly in such a way as to notice these places anyway, so they don't even miss them. The performance gain is nice though. Just remember that you won't see a gain flying over water or unpopulated areas. Hope I explained it clearly. 😉