65%
 65%  [ 13 ]
F-15
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]

Total Votes : 20

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

The F-15 has two engines but the F-16 can carry a better payload? I watched mail call on the history channel a few minutes ago and that guy was able to fly the F-15. Yucky

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

You might want to define what you mean by better. Speed, manuverability, payload, weapons, etc.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Lets keep it simple and just say that the F16 is more modern.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Just overall better.

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

Definitely f-16

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Here's one person's opinion.

F-15

1. Is faster
2. Has greater range / combat persistence
3. Great radar
4. Can carry a whole lot of AA missiles
5. Built to be an interceptor
6. Large / easy to spot
7. Incredibly large radar - cross section
8. Can turn, but not like the F-16

F-16

1. Smaller and lighter
2. Later versions have excellent range
3. At least decent radar
4. Can carries an equally impressive warload of AA missiles if need be
5. Can turn on a dime
6. Built to be a dogfighter
7. Relatively small RCS
8. Much cheaper, even in the later variants
9. Has great acceleration, but lower max. speed & rate of climb
10.Isn't as good at highter altitudes
11.On average, radar usually isn't as good as F-15

The overall winner: the F-16. F-16s can turn tighter, are harder to spot, and can also reach out and touch an enemy with their AMRAAMs practically just as easily as the Eagle. Also, in topics such as this, pilot skill is usually mentioned, but aren't we talking about the capabilities of the aircraft, not their pilots? I mean, I know pilots are important and all, but shouldn't we take the stance of equally - skilled pilots going up against one another so that we can just look at the planes' abiliites themselves? Any thoughts?

Source: "Normsta3" @ http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-188.html

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Different missions, different requirements. The F-16 is best in what it was designed for...air to air combat, and the F-15 is best at what it does. It's almost like asking what's better, a Abrams tank or a B-52? rob

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Exactly !

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Habu wrote:

Different missions, different requirements. The F-16 is best in what it was designed for...air to air combat, and the F-15 is best at what it does. It's almost like asking what's better, a Abrams tank or a B-52? rob

B-52 for sure. The Abrams flys like a tank! Whistle

Last edited by CrashGordon on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

Actually the F-16 can perform air to ground as well. It carries the HARM, which is an anti-radiation missile. Someone flips on a radar long enough to send a signal out and BOOM! They never knew what hit them.

The 15 is becoming outdated and old. That's why the FA-22 program was out into full swing. The Raptor will be a true dual fighter/attack plane. I don't know if the raptor has any of the Warthog pilots worried, but only time will tell what the Air Force really has in store for it.

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

I haven't looked at any of the specs but I just think that the F 15 just looks better with its 2 engines. I think its design looks better compared to the F16. Now, If I was to look at the specs, I am sure that the F16 is better.