Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Top Rated Antivirus

Pro Member Trainee
Rex (rexgrant) Trainee

Hi All
I am going to uninstall my Norton Internet Security System,as I now feel sure it is affecting FS9 on my system.
I have been reading about The Shield Pro 2005 system, 6Star Review rates it as tops, But will it run with FS9. I would appreciate any information about this product as I really don't know which one to use.
Many thanks
Rex.

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

I've been using Norton Antivirus for years now and it doesn't affect FS9 at all. I simply right-click on the system tray icon and disable auto-protect before going into the sim, then I enable it when I'm done.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I was gonna suggest McAffe, but I noticed a tad bit of a performance change when i close the program and play Battlefield 2 online, and when I have it on. Not because of firewall, i mean natural jerky lag. Mind you, this is coming from 2GB of ram, and the X800XT PE. Not that I'm saying what you have is inferior, I dont even know what you have in your machine, I'm just mentioning it so you'll know that I dont have 128RAM and a 64MB card Razz Laughing

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Norton isn't what it used to be but I still use it. Many people who fix PC's for a living say that they eventually threw Norton away because it just causes too many problems for one to enjoy their PC.

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

JVD wrote:

Norton isn't what it used to be but I still use it. Many people who fix PC's for a living say that they eventually threw Norton away because it just causes too many problems for one to enjoy their PC.

If you're talking about the Norton Internet Security package I'd have to agree. But the since the topic title is "Top-Rated Antivirus" I felt like putting in my two cents about Norton Antivirus (NAV), since as a stand-alone it is everything it used to be and more. Norton's internet security suite, on the other hand, has never been a favorite of mine. I bought it once and returned it the same day in trade for stand-alone NAV. Using NAV in concert with a hardware firewall (supplemented by a s/w firewall for even more protection) is much better, and not responsible for the problems that the internet suite can cause. The reason I bring this up is that I wouldn't want people to think that stand-alone NAV is in any way casuing problems. It isn't.

For anyone using a stand-alone antivirus product, I'd recommend ditching IE and installing Firefox + Adblock extension. Use Mailwasher if you use a standard email client like Outlook or Eudora. Finally, do regular checks with Webroot Spy Sweeper, and occasional scans with Microsoft AntiSpyware, AdAware, and Spybot Search & Destroy. It's a good idea to keep some other basics on hand like HijackThis, CCleaner, and Registry Mechanic.

This "a la carte" method of protection is very effective. The only product listed above that you should really run from the system tray is NAV. That way when you go into the sim you can disable NAV and then enable again after flying.

Pro Member Trainee
Rex (rexgrant) Trainee

Hi again.
I have used Norton security since Jan.2004 and never once been infected with a virous.The problem is that it is too good.Even if you switch off internet security & antivirus it still keeps on checking in my system.When I switch it off to load a program that requires antivirous to be turned off,It stops the install for a second or two and tells me it is doing a virus check on the program I am loading.
Browser Firefox Email Thunderbird
The rig.
AMD 64FX55
MOBO A8N-SLI DELUX
2XNVIDIA 6600 GT
2 GIG of 400 Ram
Win XP Pro.
But as the song says (I just need a little help from my friends)
Thank you all for your help.
Rex

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You certainly are right about it being the top listed anti virus.
FREE customer support with a Live person, that's reason enough to buy it, Norton's automated tech help is terrible.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

I just got norton and have got 2 viruses and 39 extreme risk files Crying or Very sad Mad the hackers seem to like my PC Hack

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

I would urge everyone to take a few minutes and visit this site which is totally newbie friendly and safe (I have been using it for a couple of years to test settings, so fear not) to test for open ports:

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/

HackerWatch.org has volumes of good information to help you protect yourself, but the scan they do is an awesome service. I make sure that all of my ports are totally invisible to the outside world, and if you're wanting to check it out it is completely automated, free, and private.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

ranald wrote:

I just got norton and have got 2 viruses and 39 extreme risk files Crying or Very sad Mad the hackers seem to like my PC Hack

So far this year I got 64 viruses and 3 of them shut down my Norton Antivirus. So far I've fixed the majority [of the viruses i've recieved] manually. Mad

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

JVD wrote:

ranald wrote:

I just got norton and have got 2 viruses and 39 extreme risk files Crying or Very sad Mad the hackers seem to like my PC Hack

So far this year I got 64 viruses and 3 of them shut down my Norton Antivirus. So far I've fixed the majority [of the viruses i've recieved] manually. Mad

Man, where are you getting this stuff? Are you on a local network?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

SoCalRick wrote:

I would urge everyone to take a few minutes and visit this site which is totally newbie friendly and safe (I have been using it for a couple of years to test settings, so fear not) to test for open ports:

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/

HackerWatch.org has volumes of good information to help you protect yourself, but the scan they do is an awesome service. I make sure that all of my ports are totally invisible to the outside world, and if you're wanting to check it out it is completely automated, free, and private.

2 others for you, this has a good port scan and assorted applications, free and pay.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 Port scan.

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm Main site.

This is one that I have been going to for many years, reliable and honest. Go here, take your time and read what is wrong with different parts of your computer and the fixes for them.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Radar

Andy2005 Guest

I used to have Norton and had no problems with FS9 at all. Now I have Mcafee. When I first installed Mcafee I had very bad frame rate problems. However, I now have a download that increases the frame rate.
As far as how well they protect your computer I'm not sure. I've only ever been aware of having one virus my sister downloaded from an e-mail.

Pro Member Trainee
Rex (rexgrant) Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

SoCalRick wrote:

I would urge everyone to take a few minutes and visit this site which is totally newbie friendly and safe (I have been using it for a couple of years to test settings, so fear not) to test for open ports:

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/

HackerWatch.org has volumes of good information to help you protect yourself, but the scan they do is an awesome service. I make sure that all of my ports are totally invisible to the outside world, and if you're wanting to check it out it is completely automated, free, and private.

2 others for you, this has a good port scan and assorted applications, free and pay.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 Port scan.

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm Main site.

This is one that I have been going to for many years, reliable and honest. Go here, take your time and read what is wrong with different parts of your computer and the fixes for them.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Radar

Hi Radarman I have removed norton and replaced it with AVG pro + firewall.So I tried the scan and it shook me acording to the scan I only had one safe port. I checked this out with avg tec. and they say the way AVG protects the hacker test is not effective they told me to block all,and I still got the same result but my mate uses Pe,cillin has all green
All the Best
Rex

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

ranald wrote:

I just got norton and have got 2 viruses and 39 extreme risk files Crying or Very sad Mad the hackers seem to like my PC Hack

Well, if you open attachments and download software from "unknown" sources, and run Winows as a user with administrative privileges, that is no surprise.

Relying on software to protect you from your own mistakes...$50.00
Not making those mistakes...priceless. Ninja

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

rexgrant wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

SoCalRick wrote:

I would urge everyone to take a few minutes and visit this site which is totally newbie friendly and safe (I have been using it for a couple of years to test settings, so fear not) to test for open ports:

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/

HackerWatch.org has volumes of good information to help you protect yourself, but the scan they do is an awesome service. I make sure that all of my ports are totally invisible to the outside world, and if you're wanting to check it out it is completely automated, free, and private.

2 others for you, this has a good port scan and assorted applications, free and pay.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 Port scan.

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm Main site.

This is one that I have been going to for many years, reliable and honest. Go here, take your time and read what is wrong with different parts of your computer and the fixes for them.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Radar

Hi Radarman I have removed norton and replaced it with AVG pro + firewall.So I tried the scan and it shook me acording to the scan I only had one safe port. I checked this out with avg tec. and they say the way AVG protects the hacker test is not effective they told me to block all,and I still got the same result but my mate uses Pe,cillin has all green
All the Best
Rex

Why doesn't anyone use the built in firewall XP provides free.
You don't have to have SP2 installed to use it.
I turned it on when I loaded XP-Home and it passed the test yesterday that is listed above.
I just upgraded my Norton AV, I don't buy any of their other power sucking products.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

ranald wrote:

I just got norton and have got 2 viruses and 39 extreme risk files Crying or Very sad Mad the hackers seem to like my PC Hack

Well, if you open attachments and download software from "unknown" sources, and run Winows as a user with administrative privileges, that is no surprise.

Relying on software to protect you from your own mistakes...$50.00
Not making those mistakes...priceless. Ninja

LOL, good one mate!

Also folks, keep in mind that paying a few bucks for an adult magazine at the corner store is way better than getting Trojans and viruses from visiting the "unknown" sources CrashGordon eluded to, bwahahahaha!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I wasn't even thinking about "adult material". You wouldn't believe how thoroughly I scrutinize the FltSim stuff I download. But then, I'm paranoid. Rolling Eyes

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions