SearchSearch 

vors

newbie1 Guest

i used to fly to airports with ndb. but i want to use vors. i enter the vor into the radio before i take off but i cant find and track it once in the air. please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

2 Responses

newbie1 wrote:

i used to fly to airports with ndb. but i want to use vors. i enter the vor into the radio before i take off but i cant find and track it once in the air. please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Don Wood Guest

A few things it might be:

1. VOR's are fairly short range - some as little as 50 miles. You need to be in fairly close proximity to most VOR's to receive the signal.

2. I hope this is not insulting but you need to check it anyway. Make sure the radio stack is set correctly. The frequency for the VOR you want to use must be set in the primary freqency window of the VOR radio you want to use. A good real-world practice, if you are not using the second VOR for something else, is to set both VOR's to the frequency, center one of them, then set the OBS on the second to the same course line to compare read outs. Both radios need to have close to identical readings to be considered reliable. If they don't, absent some other nav device, there is no way to know which is reliable and which is not.

3. Make sure you have the correct frequency for the VOR that FS9 uses. There are a few cases where the FS9 frequency for a VOR is not the same as the real-world frequency for that VOR.

4. Make sure the "Nav/GPS" toggle switch on your instrument panel is set to "Nav".

If all of these conditions are met, use the "OBS" knob on the selected VOR and rotate it until the needle is centered and the "From'To" indicator read "To". You should then be able to fly to the VOR and navigate on it.