Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Sunderland Flying Boat.

Pro Member Trainee
malspal Trainee

Seeing as this beauty has no undercarriage, does anyone have an idea where I can down load a docking area as a starting point.? 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Go to any city on the coast. I go to Florida, when you choose the city in the bottom left corner you can choose runways see which has a "water" runway.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

I used to watch the Short Sunderlands on the water at a base in Felixstowe
where a huge crane was used to lift them from the water. This was in the late 40's so I'm showing my age - where can I download of these wonderful birds??

Pro Member First Officer

For Mals pal - Felixstowe is on the east coast of the UK and the boats used the river Orwell - between Felixstowe and Ipswich (that's not the Ipswich in
in Australia!!)

Pro Member Trainee
malspal Trainee

Thanks RadarMan will do.
Verygom try here

FS Planet have an extensive data base, and membership is required to get fast downloads otherwise you wait in a queue. They do, however, send you frequent listings of new add ons.
Incidently we are of the same era 😉 I came out here in 1985 after retiring from the RN. I had a couple of weekends in Ipswich while I was at Honington serving on 809 Buccaneer Sdn.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Malspal
The only way I can see of flying the Sunderland from the river at Felixstowe and over HMS Ganges (how real can this get! 😂 ) is to drop a float plane in and then switch aircraft. I've had success flying the Dornier
flying boat (which also has no undercart) from various lakes found on 'new search' in the location set up but probably not big enough for the
Sunderland.

Pro Member Trainee
Gryffyn Trainee

Pardon a newbie's naivete, but where does one obtain a Sutherland flying boat?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

There's alot in Alaska.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Gryffyn wrote:

Pardon a newbie's naivete, but where does one obtain a Sutherland flying boat?

Note the spelling.

This is a 2004 model. you can't use it in 2002.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
lds_soldier First Officer

A lot in Alaska? Where? I have yet to see even one, at least here on the island. Tell me where please, I'd like some photos and maybe a flight or two. But I haven't seen it in Homer, Seward, Kenai, Soldotna, Sterling, Anchorage, Kodiak, or any other peninsula areas. Maybe Fairbanks. I don't care if it's in Juneau, I wouldn't go see it. Nothing in Juneau but a bunch of Capital wanna-be's. The real capital is Anchorage and everyone knows it.

Anyway...where?