Something to think about

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I dont know if anyone had really paid attention to this in the past, but I thought it was kinda amazing.

When I was trying the "Challenge" thing in that paticular post, I had a 717. I had about 300lbs of fuel onboard. What I thought was sorta interesting was the sheer amout of fuel it drank just taking off.

I got about 3/4 down the runway, and 20 feet in the air, when it ran out of fuel O.O

I thought it was interesting just how much it took ONLY to get it in the air!

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

If you are talking about some sicraft, they can have fuel burns that are in the low 10,000lbs per hour. 300 lbs isn't much even in a C-130 which has about 6,000 lbs an hour burn.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Not pounds per hour, I mean 300 lbs for 5 SECONDS of operation!

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

I meant 300 lbs isn't that much total fuel.
With 6000 pph, that's 600 ppm.
We figure 1,000 lbs alone for start, taxi and take-off.

My point was that you were lucky to hit Vr with 300 lbs.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Fire_Emblem_Master,

I bet that gave you a sinking feeling...LOL

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

we can put it this way: if you could sneak into the engine when is runing, you would see the fuel injector is so damn big that the fuel is actually gushing out like from a broken fire hydrant.......for B747-400, 4 engines take a gallan per second....try to top off your gallan milk bottle in one second, see how big your faucet has to be Surprised

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

The only thing on my mind now is, How fast does it take a concorde to guzzle that amount of fuel ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain

Concorde burns during cruise 25629 Lieters of fuel per hour.

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew (n287s) Trainee

yeah that is amazing. heres something i found in an issue of Atlantic Flyer...

(this is a real ATC conversation)
ATC: 727, make two 360s for traffic spacing
727 captain: Tower, do you know that it costs $2,000 to make a 360 in this airplane?
ATC: Ok, then give me $4,000 worth of 360s

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...