Europe Church Questions

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Is there any Catholic Masses held in Latin in places besides obviously Rome?
Secondly, in Catholic Churches there, do they still use what's called the Communion Rail? (You kneel on it, and recieve communion)

Third-Does everyone stand or kneel before recieving communion, and then do they sit or kneel after it?

This is ALL I needed to know, no extra discussion. If you want to have one, PM me please. This way I can get the answers, and not have to worry about a big long thread.

Reason I ask is because there's like none of that in any churches i've been to in MI, or many other places. So is it like worldwide changes, or no? I'm not trying to incite an argument, but figuring the amount of European visitors/members here, this would be a pretty good place to ask.

Answers 27 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

Looking at the title of this thought it might have been a scenery question. How about marking these totally Off Topic Posts "OT"? So as not to waste the time of people who come here to help/learn about FS9 related subjects.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

FEM, I'll try to answer your questions as good as I can. I live in Europe, Portugal, as you should know. I am Catholic.

Here, in Portugal, I've never seen a church held in Latin. Maybe there are churches held in Latin in Turkey, because their alphabet is in Latin. That's what a Turkish guy told me.

Communion Rail? Hmmm, no. In Portugal they don't use it. I'm not sure....maybe in other churches they use it, maybe not. I've been in like 3 different churches and I haven't seen anything like it.

Going to your third questions....before receiving communion the people are standing. They are supposed to be standing.
After communion, the Portuguese people sit. This is just right after they got to their seats. So, they receive communion, go back to their seats and immediately they sit. I, and my family, don't do that. We wait standing until the priest put the rest of the wafers inside the shrine (is that the correct word?) Then we sit. Some people do that too, and some don't.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I had to speak to a Catholic friend to find these answers:

1) Yes there are Latin Masses held in the UK but they aren't held very often. From what I can gather, it is quite a big event when it does happen.

2) Again, it is quite rare but some churches still do this practice.

3) Stand for communion and then sit I believe, could be wrong

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Oh, so it is much like the US.

Looking at the title of this thought it might have been a scenery question. How about marking these totally Off Topic Posts "OT"? So as not to waste the time of people who come here to help/learn about FS9 related subjects.

You probably spent more time replying to this than you would have just looking at it, deeming it off topic, and browsing away from it. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

This happens alot here and it's the first time I've bothered with an off topic post. I felt I had to say something as some people here don't care what they write. I won't chuck my dummy out of my pram and say I'm leaving the site and throwing my FS2004 in the bin. All I'm asking is that people mark their titles with "OT" if it is necessary for people to post Off Topic material.

Don't want to start a war or anything it's just a polite, simple request.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

This is ALL I needed to know, no extra discussion. If you want to have one, PM me please. This way I can get the answers, and not have to worry about a big long threat.

I think u both have right 😉

FEM does make it clear about the way he wants to take his ansewrs and Sylvan has right that this is an off topic post.But its interesting anyway 😉. I have learn a couple of things about Catholics 🙂 .
Lets see the positive side and lets try to take it as knowledge.
Although i believe that its an off topic post but its not a bad one.Maybe we have to think to create a Forum about general staff ,and post there all these kind of posts which hasnt to do with simmulation but although they are usefull and interesting for our ..database...of knowledges. 😂

Friendly

Greekman72

Pro Member Chief Captain

OH NO!!!

I didn't mean "Threat" I meant Thread!!!

THANKS greekman!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Its ok ...we get it. 😉

Greekman72

Pro Member First Officer
Barge First Officer

Wow, it does say 'threat'.

I didnt notice that! See how hard it is to even spot those sort of mistakes when you read things fast!

Im sure everybody knew what you meant FEM Whip

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Hey guys

The mistake is mine and i apologise Embarassed ....as i quote the post of FEM i delete the word ''thread'' and by mistake i replace it with ''threat''.

And the funniest is that i write before that we get what FEM means.

Deeply sorry FEM and all the others. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Greekman 72

Pro Member First Officer
Barge First Officer

AHHHHHHHHH!

This is getting really confusing! Dont Know

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

If you read what is supposed to be the subject matter of the posts to the Other category of this forum you will see that it is "Talk about anything related to FS2004 that cannot be placed in any of the other catagories" - (the underlining is mine)
The subject matter of the original post does not meet that criteria and should not have been posted in the first place.
If one wants to find information on Roman Catholic Cummunion Services - then I suggest that they feed these words into Google and I am sure that they will find more reliable sources than all the disinformation contained in the answering posts.
I had fully expected flyaway to come down on this immediately but it would appear that the indiscipline that now infests this site is to be allowed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

As much as I agree with that, I think it is nice to have topics that cover a lot of areas as for me it is quite interesting. As long as the topic is marked as off topic so people not wanting to read posts unrelated to FS2004 can ignore these messages. For others that like general conversation, in my opinion, it is a good idea, after all it is a community here rather than just an FS2004 forum. 😉

Fun flying 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Barge First Officer

Or just make an off topic board for people to post on...

Pro Member Chief Captain

This SHOULD be the off-topic board. It's not like there's anything that can't be placed in either a board covering the general topics of FS9, Aircraft or Scenery. What else is there?

Anyway, I got the information I needed from this post, and I'm sorry for showing suck a lack of discipline to have posted such a anti-FS topic. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
Barge First Officer

Dont worry FEM, people have been doing this for ages!

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

> Is there any Catholic Masses held in Latin in places

Firstly, check your grammar 🙂

> Secondly, in Catholic Churches there, do they still use what's
> called the Communion Rail? (You kneel on it, and recieve communion)

Depends on the church. I used to go to church as my mother dragged me along. Old churches can have this communion rail, and in fact out church originally had a rail thing at the front but it was modernised and removed. So now the congregation just walk down the centre isle to the priest at the front.

> Third-Does everyone stand or kneel before recieving communion,
> and then do they sit or kneel after it?

Well, if it were a communion rail I think you'd kneel. However as in our case where you just walk up to the front and take communion standing up, you would return to your seat and normally kneel for a while.

Is this for some sort of school project?

Pro Member Chief Captain

What I mean by the third is do they stand or kneel in the pews? Agus already told me what I needed to know, thanks anyway though

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

It depends on the stage of service as to wether you stand, kneel or sit. After communion you'd generally be expected to kneel for a while. My guess is something to do with giving thanks. But I don't know the reason.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I see. Well, thanks. Got everything I needed to know now. It's not for school, i dont go back till August, but I was merely curious if it was any different than here. I am Catholic, so I know how it all goes (every sunday, havent missed one yet 😳 )

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Surprised I've made a number of off-topic posts. It's fun to discuss other stuff.

Greekman72, you are like a mediator here. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thanks ''my pilot'' but believe me my friend im not in the mode to promote myself.I only write what i feel.(and i have done a terrible mistake when i quote FEMs post Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed )
I like general covnersations about interesting things.I think that noone must say ''no'' in knowledge.It helps in keeping our minds open 😉
I would love to see a forum about general knowledges which we can post there some strange or funny interesting things we spot.
Of course i make clear the im not offensive to simulation(how could i do!!!!!!!)but although i believe that the kind of people of this community are clever and educated and have a lot of knowledge to share. Read Read Read

Greekman72 😉

Greekman72 should NOT be a moderator around here.

Nobody that claims they KNOW what is wrong with someone, or their pets should be moderating.

Greekman - are you sure you're not promoting yourself ? You're always trying to be righteous, yet you make a lot of contentious posts yourself !

Each to their own I say and I don't even know you but you deserve to be severely corrected for your post on the topic about FEMs cat, as you CANNOT say that you know what the cat needs as medication and you SHOULD not say that the cat does not sound well and will not recover with just food.

THINK ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR OPINIONS.

Thomas Cruise Mapother Guest

......as for postings about General Knowledge ❗ ❗ ❗

Can't you see that this is a FLIGHT SIMULATION web-site. That is what it is here for, that is what people paid up as members for, that is what the Server is for .....

Why not go to a chat room if you want to talk about other things ❓ ❓

TCM

Thomas Cruise Mapother wrote:

......as for postings about General Knowledge ❗ ❗ ❗

Can't you see that this is a FLIGHT SIMULATION web-site. That is what it is here for, that is what people paid up as members for, that is what the Server is for .....

Why not go to a chat room if you want to talk about other things ❓ ❓

TCM

As a guest TCM, like myself - the gang who persistantly make a mockery of this Flight Sim forum with their yellow eyes, cat's health, righteous thoughts, RC Services, etc, etc - are going to come down on you like a ton of bricks - the advice offered in response to stated problems is usually ill advised and mostly wrong. They will tell you as a non-Member you have no right to criticise them - who the hell wants to be a Member of this circus?? It would be a blessing if they cleared off to a chat room like you advise, - which incidently is the only sensible response in any of this. It would appear to be, on my infrequent visits, that this very small band of 'make your own rules' community, all want to be moderators - last time I visited, the same lot were organising some sort of general meeting on AOL to set up an alternative site/forum, but as none of them seemed to know what they were doing, I don't think it got off the ground. Thought the forum might have got rid of them then but I can't find the post now.
Pity!
Could you imagine this being allowed to happen on Posky, Avsim or any decent forum - still, out of a total of 54,600 members I suppose you must expect some who don't respect forum discipline - it is funny how half a dozen or so, can more or less rule the roost.
Wear your tin hat next time you come by TCM

Andy2005 Guest

Why such a big deal guys? I don't want to seem falsely rightous and perfect because I know I'm not and haven't always thought properly before writing some posts, but lets not make this a fighting ground. In my opinion Greekman is a great member of this site and often helps solve disputes.
FEM only wanted a little info and I'm sure he didn't mean it to come to this. He may well mark OT next time to avoid this.
Lets just all be cool. 🍻 😎
Andy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I ensure you that we are Andy. 😉

Thanks a lot. 🙂

Greekman72

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...