Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Complete new computer system - NEED CRITIQUES

Pro Member Trainee
algonz Trainee

Group,

My computer guy has finally put together his recommendation for a gaming computer to use for FS2004. PLEASE review the list and offer your comments. Is this going overboard? Is this enough to satisfy FS2004 and hopefully FS2006 (whatever it may contain)? Would you recommend any components other than the ones one the list? We are brand new to flight simulator and want to be able to do it right but not necessarily have a bunch of overkill. Oh! may also want to add some of the combat flight simulators later. I already have CH yoke and pedals (USB) and a Saitek ST290 PRO joystick.

Thanks in advance for any answers. You guys are lightyears ahead of me in this area and I need all the help I can get. All answers will be seriously considered.

System:

Case - Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX midtower

Mainboard - MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI - Mainboard - ATX - nforce 4 SLI-Socket 939-UDMA133, SATA II(RAID) - 2 x Gigabit Ethernet-FireWire - 8 channel audio

Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+/2.2 GHz - Socket 939 - I.2 2 MB - Box

RAM - Kingston ValueRam - Memory - 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) - DIMM 184-pin-DDR- 400 MHz/ PC3200 - CL3-2.6 V unbuffered

Hard Drive (2) - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS - 250 GB - internal - 3.5" - SATA II - 7 pin Serial ATA - 7300 rpm - buffer: 16 MB

Video Card - Dual ASUS EN7800GTX 3DHTV 256M GeForce 7800GTX PCI-E 256 MB DDR3 2DVI VIVO 2ND VGA

Power Supply - Coolmax - 600T (internal) - ATX12V - 600 Watt

DVD - ASUS DRW 1608P - DVD +/-RW )+/-R DL) drive - internal - 16x/16x - 4.25" - IDE - black

DVD - ASUS DVD 16x RETAIL BLACK IDE Internal

Floppy Drive - 1.44 MB SILVER

Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/SP2

Speakers and sub woofer - no brand listed

Fans - 4 Custom Blue LED Case Fans

Custom FDD, IDE, SATA Internal Cables, Black

Monitor - BenQFP231W - Flat panel display - TFT 23" - 1920 x 1200 - 0.258mm - DVI, VGA (HD-15) 23" Wide LCD Monitor

Alternate Monitor - Apple Computer 20" Cinema Display

I don't pretend to understand all that I have typed, I typed it straight from the quote. Please offer advice

Thanks,

Al Gonzales

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Dear Algonz...First of all i welcome you and wish u good flights. 🍻

As far as for ur brand new pc my opinion is that it is perfect and follow the most updated specs 👏 👏 👏 .(of course u will find better ones..but u have to try a lot 😉 )

You will enjoy FS and lots more...power hungry...games.

I m happy to join us. 😀 😀 😀

Greekman72

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

The only difference between our computers is the processor so you should have an incredable time flying.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

😳
Wow, that's my dream computer. It's perfect

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 Looks fantastic.
The aluminum case will be easier to handle but the fans will be louder than in a steel case.
You can save $ with XP home, it's a better gaming system, XP Pro is more geared towards business applications but will play games just as well.

Make sure the fans are both intake and out put, it'll keep the case cooler.
I didn't notice if you are using a copper CPU fan to keep that hot CPU cooler, don't forget silver paste, just a rice size drop.

You can never have too much power for the sim or for the next one. Great choices on some of those parts.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Skymuncher Trainee

Wow! This just looks amazing! I am going to by a new computer too with decent specs, but nearly as good as yours! Congrats and enjoy flying

Skymuncher

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Umm... That'll do it!

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

Nice set up. Your Mboard will take 4MB memory see if your computer guy will throw it in for free

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1734

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

First of all welcome. Second I would get a new cooling fan for the CPU as your going to run a dual core processor it's going to get hot. i would get rid of the floppy drive as you have a DVD RW you can copy all your important programmes onto DVD or CD.

As you have a sub woofer I would purchase a desent sound card. How much is this guy charging you? as you could probably build your own as it would be cheaper.
Do you really need a 23" monitor as a 17" & 19" would be a lot cheaper?

Check the following websites out ➡

http://www.newegg.com/ in the US

http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/ in the UK.

It might look hard but it's very easy. The only difficult part is the processer but apart from that it's all easy.

check out my specs for my home build PC when I get the chance to start building it ➡

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/6592/self-build-pc/

BashDaBish Guest

sylvan wrote:

Nice set up. Your Mboard will take 4MB memory see if your computer guy will throw it in for free

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1734

4Gb would be much nicer though 😛

Pro Member Trainee
reddhaus Trainee

algonz wrote:

Group,

System:

Case - Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX midtower

Mainboard - MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI - Mainboard - ATX - nforce 4 SLI-Socket 939-UDMA133, SATA II(RAID) - 2 x Gigabit Ethernet-FireWire - 8 channel audio

Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+/2.2 GHz - Socket 939 - I.2 2 MB - Box

RAM - Kingston ValueRam - Memory - 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) - DIMM 184-pin-DDR- 400 MHz/ PC3200 - CL3-2.6 V unbuffered

Hard Drive (2) - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS - 250 GB - internal - 3.5" - SATA II - 7 pin Serial ATA - 7300 rpm - buffer: 16 MB

Video Card - Dual ASUS EN7800GTX 3DHTV 256M GeForce 7800GTX PCI-E 256 MB DDR3 2DVI VIVO 2ND VGA

Power Supply - Coolmax - 600T (internal) - ATX12V - 600 Watt

DVD - ASUS DRW 1608P - DVD +/-RW )+/-R DL) drive - internal - 16x/16x - 4.25" - IDE - black

DVD - ASUS DVD 16x RETAIL BLACK IDE Internal

Floppy Drive - 1.44 MB SILVER

Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/SP2

Speakers and sub woofer - no brand listed

Fans - 4 Custom Blue LED Case Fans

Custom FDD, IDE, SATA Internal Cables, Black

Monitor - BenQFP231W - Flat panel display - TFT 23" - 1920 x 1200 - 0.258mm - DVI, VGA (HD-15) 23" Wide LCD Monitor

Alternate Monitor - Apple Computer 20" Cinema Display

I think it all boils down to your budget. With that said here are my thoughts..........

The case is mostly a matter a personal taste. I like big cases for more room to work and lots of places to put cooling fans.

I would go with a DFI brand motherboard. Mainly because they are better for overclocking. If you don't plan to overclock then it may not matter.

The dual core AMD chip is very nice but expensive. If it is in your budget go for it. I bought an AMD Venice 3000+ which is stock at 1.8 ghz. I have it overclocked to 2.8 ghz right now. It cost me $147 on Newegg.com. I think it is had to beat that bang for the buck.

The only other thing to consider on the dual core processor is, will the next generation of MS Flight Sim be programmed to take advantage of a dual core system. My GUESS would be yes but you never know. 2004 will not use the extra power of the dual core. It will only help you if you plan on running other applications while you are running Flight Sim.

I would buy as much high quality RAM as you can. It is very hard to have too much RAM.

I would buy a fast hard drive like the Western Digital Raptor. It will make things run faster. It is only 74 gigs but it is fast. You can just add in a second large capacity drive for storage.

Nvidia 7800 Graphics card is right on the money!

Power supply sounds good.

Keep the Floppy Drive - 1.44 MB. They are cheap and you never know when you might need it.

Go with XP Home. It is cheaper and you will most likely never use the extras of XP Pro anyway.

Get the biggest monitor you can afford. You won't be sorry. I still lean to CRT monitors but if you go with LCD, make sure it has a fast response time.

Good luck!!