Question: Flightsims & Dual Core CPU's

Plus24 Guest

I read somewhere that FS 2004 makes extensive use of Intel's hyperthreading technology. Since hyperthreading, Dual Core has come on the scene. What benefits, if any do flightsims (especially MS Flight Simulator, present version or future) gain from this new dual core technology? Or is it only helpful if you are multi-tasking?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with newbies on the board like me.

Plus24

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Moores Law=You double the speed of the chips every 18 months.

Fine until now, we have reached the point where the chips are so fast and HOT that we can't make faster ones and keep them cool.
The duel core chip is now the chip of the future, it's faster without the excessive heat, it does get hot but is controllable with fans, soon with water cooled systems when they become fool-proof.

They will still get faster but it will be a different chip (duel core).

If I'm wrong please correct and enlighten me.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Wait a while, I'm getting a dual-core processor, I'll tell you how it goes. 350 bucks more, that's like 2.5 paychecks for me 😳

Pro Member Trainee
reddhaus Trainee

Plus24 wrote:

I read somewhere that FS 2004 makes extensive use of Intel's hyperthreading technology. Since hyperthreading, Dual Core has come on the scene. What benefits, if any do flightsims (especially MS Flight Simulator, present version or future) gain from this new dual core technology? Or is it only helpful if you are multi-tasking?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with newbies on the board like me.

Plus24

It is basically like having two chips in one. Most software does not take advantage of dual core chips at the moment. Dual core chips are great for multitasking but they don't improve gameplay much. Programmers basically have to tell the program that it can send task A to core X and task B to core Y. If this is not in the code, the software will send everything to core X and core Y will be left to run other software that you may be running in the background. Hey, you could burn a DVD while flying your favorite 747!!

I'm sure (maybe) that Microsoft will make FS 2004 utilize the power of dual core chips.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

The next generation of games will be able to take full advantage of the dual core processer. In one magazine I read they had tested the new processer and found a slight fps on Doom 3 about 1-3 FPS more. FSX should be able to take full advantage of the Dual Core Processor when it FINALLY arrives on the self

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

is the dual core same as hyper-threaded? My CPUs are all hyperthreaded, but I dont think they are the cutting edge chips

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

nottobe wrote:

is the dual core same as hyper-threaded? My CPUs are all hyperthreaded, but I dont think they are the cutting edge chips

Completely different. Read on. Read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_core

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthread

Radar

Plus24 Guest

Thanks for all the replies and info on Dual Core. Since the cost of my new computer plans keeps going up, I think I may pass on dual core and wait for a couple years for an upgrade if it turns out to be a hot item for gaming.

Plus24

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...