Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Navigation

crosscheck9 Guest

Hello..
Today, for those of you who even care Sleep , I found Disk 1 of Fsim, so I installed the thing and I decided to take a MD-80 from LA to Las Vegas. It was quick flight, but I had customized the weather so I had on 10 miles of visibility and snow thunderstorms, full overcast, turbulence and a crosswind of 8 knots. I landed using the glideslope information, and the GPS. What other ways of landing are there, and how exactly do you use them. Up till now, the process I described earlier, is what I always use to fly. I know you can tune in the DME to the runways frequency, but how would that help? Also, when would a pilot use the ADF/NDB. I can never think of a circumstance where that is my only option, or even my best option. Thanks

Don Wood Guest

In an MD-80, there are probably very few instances where using NDB would be necessary. With smaller aircraft at smaller airports, NDB's are often an integral part of the approach.

In all cases, however, I always advise that using all available navigation devices is prudent. If I am on an approach where the NDB is not a component of the approach but is available, I tune it and use it to remain aware of my location over the ground at all times.

If you are flying an approach, while you take direction from ATC for vectors and altitude, the Pilot-in-command is still responsible for the safety of the flight. Knowing your position at all times is necessary to insure the safety of your aircraft.

If you don't believe that, try to find the probable cause report for the jet crash that killed Frank Sinatra's mother. Her pilot took off from Palm Springs airport and was vectored to the southwest by ATC. Unfortunately, the controller lost track of it and the pilot was apparently not keeping track of his location and the vector took him into the side of a mountain.

Use all the navigation devices you can, especially in IFR conditions.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well thee is the handy ILS app. which is very common. You need thekeep the croshairs in a cross to be lined straight. The DME and LOC(Distance Measuring Equipment and Localizer) app. will fly you to the runway in a straight path but will not hold altitude. The NDB(Non Directional Beacon) is a NAVAID that will help you navigate like a VOR but VOR's have a larger range and you can tack then with your radios. NDB's you put the freq. in your ADF and you follow the needle to it.