looking to the future

crosscheck9 Guest

In about 2 years, I'm gonna have to start making a decision on what I want to be. For the past 4 years, I have looked to becoming an Airline transport pilot, however, there is not one member in my family who agrees with my decision. I understand there are some risks, for example, what if I get diabetes. What if I get asthma, or, what if I get sick of it.. (unlikely - 😂 ) There are a lot of if's involved, so, I need to find an alternative, but there isn't much that appeals to me. I figure I'll go to university, get a masters degree in aeronautical engineering, then go to flight school. I'll work my way up the ladder, then, when I'm to old, or something forces me to give up my job as a pilot, I'll become a flight instructer. Does that sound reasonable? Seriously, it's really a blow to one's self esteem when he gets no support for something he loves to do, and yet, I can relate to them. They don't have the same passion for flight as I do, and so they'll never learn to appreciate it, as much as I do.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Dear Crosscheck.

I have to tell you that you MUST insist to make your dreams come true.This is the only way that you are going to be happy in your life.Sometimes the allaround people for a thousands of reasons try to persuade us to avoid some things...maybe cause they dont have the courage to make their dreams true...to fight for them ...to do sacrifises for earn them...or maybe cause they afraid for you cause they love you.
Although im sure that some day when they see that you are happy they will be happy too.Try to remain close to your dreams...fight for them and im sure that someday everybody around you gonna get that you were right.
You must remember that your life belongs to you and your choices are the guide to make you happy or sad.

We dont live FOR others...we live WITH others.

Greekman72 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

All I can say is follow your heart and your gut. Your family might not agree with your decision but they will come around in the end if you stick with it. I had the same problem about 3yrs ago when I wanted to DJ, they was'nt happy but stood by me and help when ever they can. Your parents might do the same.

Stick with the education as long as possible (it might sound a pain but in later life you will be greatfull) get as many passes in your course's as possible and you want be sorry.

I know what your going through CrossCheck9

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks Greekman72 - Those were some great words of wisdom Blush Im grateful. It's nice to visit this forum often. I guess it's where all avation enthusiasts can relate to one another. Great website and for all who are regulars here, well, lets just say we need more of you

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

You can what-if things to death. Main thing is to get a degree that you can fall back on when (yes, I said when) the airlines start laying off and you are out of a job. A business degree goes a lot farther than a General Aerospace degree out in the world.

Airline transportation is safer than any other mode of trans. Look how many people are killed in car accidents daily. There are literally millions of people who fly each day and they are safer than riding in a car, trust me.

As far as getting a Master's Degree and then stepping out as a flight instructor, you are going to be severely dissapointed. Many flight instructors live off of Ramen Noodles and can barely afford clothing to go to work in. With the bills you'll have to repay with a Master's Degree, you are going down the wrong track for financial stability.

You aren't going to get a job flying a 737 after you've been a CFI. You'll more than likely get a commuter or puddle jumper that will pay $20,000 a year. Go look at some of these Captains and First Officers that fly the big airlines. They are mostly grey haired seasoned pilots. They have been flying for YEARS to get where they are.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but more rather give you a perspective of what it's like. Their are too many CFI's out their now that are counting their hours to get to 1,500 to get to a regional. Those guys/girls aren't worth the space they take up in the cockpit.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

No problem Crosscheck.

But i have to tell you something more.I think that we are not only funs of flights.We are also funs of real life 😉

Get life and do your bests 😉

Greekman72

crosscheck9 Guest

And thanks to you liono, av8r, and everyone who actually beleives that if one has a passion for flight, then the saying, "where there's a will, there's a way" comes into play.

Andy2005 Guest

Crosscheck
Today a guy came into my school to talk to us about what we want to do in the future and that's what you should focus on. He told us that often it's the people closest to you that put you off course. You must decide if this is really what you want to do and if it is to be your ultimate goal in life. It's not the life for everyone but if you think you're suited to being a pilot go for it and focus all your energy on reaching that goal. This is your dream but if its not going to work out for you that's for you to find out on your own. Not because someone else tells you it wont work. People in life that don't pursue their own dreams persue someone elses and end up not enjoying their job. As you said, your family don't have the same passion for flight as you obviously do but don't let that stop you. You seem to have planned out what you want to do well so you shouldn't have any problems.
In the future I would like to start my own small charter airline. Maybe it won't work out but I'm going to do everything I can to do it.
REMEMBER: It's for us to decide what we do in life. Not anyone else.
Andy 😀

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

See i want to be an ATC. I plan on going to college and UND. But my parents kinda want me to go into the AirForce. Im not sure if i want to though. Its decisions like these that make u think.

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

Been having problems with my system at home, so my post is a bit late.

Try to talk with some airline pilots, explain that you are planning a career as a pilot. Most, if not all, will be more than willing to talk to you about how they got started etc. You will find that some went through a pilots school (like Emery Riddle) or the military (Air Force or Navy) usually flying VIP aircraft or Trash Haulers (Cargo).

Also plan a back-up career. Most buisnesses, especially the Airline industry, have down turns. When this happens employees, starting with the new guy, get laid off. If this happens, keep your hand in your primary as it will leave you behind if you do not. (That is why I'm working as a Medic in the Emergency Department and not software testing).

Most important, and I know you have heard this before (and will many times again) get your degree.

Best of luck in your endevors.

Frank

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

If being layed off could be an issue you could also be a cargo pilot.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...