Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Kodiak Island

Pro Member First Officer
lds_soldier First Officer

I can't remember who it was, but I apologize. On one of my threads someone asked about my humble island. Well I'll tell you that the climate is similar to that of Great Britain. The shorelines are extremely, um, tall and rocky. Lots of green in the spring and summer and lots of white in the winter. Fall is all kinds of colors. Home of the largest U.S. Coast Guard Base (population) in the world. Home of one of the largest commercial fishing fleets in the U.S. One of the rare places in the U.S. where caucasions (did I spell that right?) are a minority. More aircraft facilities in one Phone Book that any other in the world. Population of the entire island: 15000.

I have some pics, but I'm still not very good at posting those, let me practice a bit more with screenshots before I libel my little island.

By the way, Kodiak isn't really little. Second largest island in the U.S. Roughly the size of Massachusettes. (did I spell that right?)

Oh, and this thread does mention an airport, so it does apply doesn't it?

Thanks, and sorry again for not answering immediately.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

That was me. Very Happy Don't worry about it not applying. I always dream of moving to Alaska. After I fly for an airline for a couple of years I'll buy a small piper or cessna, move up to Alaska, buy a few acres and build a landing strip in my backyard.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

That sounds great but are going to do when you are retired or working Question

Pro Member First Officer

Most of the planes on the island are Beaver floats actually. A handful of Cherokees, and some Cessna's. We get seven flights to Anchorage every day on the Dash-8 and 4 to 5 flights per day on a 737. Some flights to Homer on a Twin Otter also.

Pro Member Chief Captain

JVD wrote:

That sounds great but are going to do when you are retired or working Question

Working. As soon as I'm able to buy the plane and the land. Maybe live in Anchorage before I do that also.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Hey my pilot thats a great plan Smile and you have all the time in front you to manage it.Stick on it and i bet that one day you will make it true.

Even i live thousands miles away from Alaska i have see and read a lot of things about this wonderful country and i always wanna have a journey there.
In my company on trying to have fun with my friends when i want to say about an escape from our streesed lives,i always say that i want to be a bear guard Blink in Alaska living in a wooden house beside a lake with a float plane of my own...But unfortunately this happens only when im Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep ...... Wink

Wishes to you.

Greekman72

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks! Very Happy

Don Wood Guest

lds_soldier: I'm going to be on Kodiak Island for a day on August 27th. My flight arrives at 8:05 am and departs at 7:30 pm. I will have a rental car.

Do you have any suggestions about places to go and things to see in that short period of time to expereience as much as I can of your island?

Thanks for your help.

Pro Member Chief Captain

You're lucky!!! Group Wave Have fun! Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer

1. Get a fishing liscense. The silver's are running.

2. Go to Abercrombie State Park. Great WWII artifacts and old buildings.

3. Check out the Fish Tech Center. Like a tide pool in a really big bucket. You can handle everything in it. There is also a huge aquarium with King Crab, Halibut, Seastars, etc...

4. Eat lunch at King's Diner. Right next to the Munincipal Airport. They close at 2 pm.

5. Get some pics out at the Coast Guard Base. Beautiful C-130's, Jayhawks, SeaKings, Cutters, all around good pics.

6. If you've got about $500 to spare, rent a Bear Viewing tour plane. They'll take you all over the island in the air to see Bears, vistas, whatever.

7. Rent a charter Boat. About $200-$300. Some include Dining. They sight see, fish, or combine several things to do. Mostly customizable.

8. Look up kayak expeditions. Tons in the phone book. Paddle the island and see the sighs.

9. Look up the flight club (do you have a liscense) $90 and hour to charter.

10. Stay Longer. There's tons to do, I'll add them as I think of them.

Pro Member First Officer

Check out these photos of Kodiak and around Kodiak, some kinda fuzzy, taken through an aircraft window.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a53/lds_soldier/

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Looks like a lovely place Thumbs Up!

Pro Member First Officer

It is.

Hey Don Wood,

Whatcha doin on my humble island for only a day for anyhow?

You've got to stay longer than that. You visit a resort Rain Forest Island for less than 12 hours. Please find a way to take it all in.

By the way. Fair Warning. This island is not a sunny tropical getaway. This is a cloudy, rainy, windy, once-a-month-sunny-for-one-hour Rain Forest. Just keep that in mind.

Be seein ya, stop by safeway's produce dept. in town, I may be working then, that's where you'll find me. My name is Eric

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

You two oughta hang out provided you'd be able to get out of work early. There's no way to see everything unless you get the guided tour, or have 2 weeks!

Pro Member Chief Captain

OK, I got an Off-Topic quiestion.

1. Get a fishing liscense.

Up in Alaska, (or Kodiak Island) if you have a house where your back yard is a lake or ocean, where you can fish from your balcony, do you have to have a fishing liscense to do that? Down here you don't.

Don Wood Guest

Thanks for your information, Eric. I'll try and stop by to say "Howdy".

The reason it is such a short visit is that it was a last minute idea. I'll be in Alaska for three weeks - most of it on either the Alaska Railroad or with a rented pickup camper travelling between Anchorage and Skagway. At the end, I had one day that I was going to use to explore the Anchorage area. However, I've been there a number of times before and had the sudden brainstorm to fly out to Kodiak for the day. I know it's too little time but it's better than not going at all.

Don

Pro Member First Officer

Only in a privately owned and stocked body of water can you fish without a license and only if you own it or have written and signed permission from the owner and the owner is with you.

Yes, a one day visit is better than no visit at all. However, in my opinion, the rest of Alaska can have that one day, come spend three weeks in Kodiak. By the way, did you know that in the 1964 Earthquake, the southeast side of the island actually dropped six feet in elevation. Pretty awesome eh?