Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Freeware B-1B?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I've been able to locate payware B-1Bs, but can't seem to fined any freeware full versions. Anyone knw where one is?

I don't fly bombers all that often, but I used to live in an area where they frequently flew over at fairly low altitudes. They were awesome...especially in those few occasions where they broke the rules (and the sound barrier). 😳

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

I found one feew month ago, but now it is payware; don´t worry, they are promoting some aircraft to download as payware, but if u wait a couple of month, those promoting payware aircraft will be freeware again, it hapens, i went throught that too Mad .

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

i dont know but i live bye HILL airforce base and every 2 to 3 hours a squade of F-16`s fly over

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Let us know how good this one is.

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004military37.htm

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm downloading it and the fix and sounds and textures. I might be a while, but I'll be sure to let everyone know how it flies.

Pro Member Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

i dont know but i live bye HILL airforce base and every 2 to 3 hours a squade of F-16`s fly over

The only time I objected is when they flew over at 2 AM and one of the pilots had a heavy hand on the throttle and hit Mach 1.

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Let us know how good this one is.

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004military37.htm

Radar

I downloaded all the files and gave it a test run.

The good news:

The base model, sounds and textures all have their own installer so you only have to tell it where your FS is located.

There is a flight dynamics fix which is needed with FS9. Otherwise you gain speed so slowly on takeoff, you would need a really l-o-n-g runway.

The sound is good and the panel is well designed. There are a couple of small gauges that appear t have no purpose, but all the needed work fine.

The bad news:

The flight dynamics fix may be a bit too exhuberant. The takeoff is okay, but you can gain speed after that at a climb rate that is a bit unrealistic. In level flight, the craft is sligtly nose-heavy, but be careful trimming it up or you will climb rapidly. I was just over 800mph when I overstressed it.
Crying or Very sad

One minor thing, applying the flight dynamics fix seems to remove the virtual cockpit. It isn't a big issue since the 2D cockpit view makes it easy to fly.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 5. If the flight handling were tamed, I'd give it an 8. If all the textures worked, it would be a 9.

I will try to work on the flight dynamics

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 Sounds better than worse, especially if you can do your own adjustments.
Thanks for the report.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

I've now fixed the problem with the textures. Apparently, the texture update installer only points one variant to the new texture folder, After changing things so all variants use the new folder, all the variants have there correct paint jobs.

I've been familiarizing myself with it (under 500 mph) and while its response to joystick movement is a little lively for a plane this size, it handles nicely.

Landing is a bit tricky. You have to use the spoilers to slow this plane down. Even then, landing speeds are...exciting.

In my earlier test, I forgot to retract the wings to their high speed position and my altitude was a bit low for such speed. That may account for my overstressing the plane.

I'm beginning to like this plane.

Thanks to RadarMan for pointing the way to it. 👍