Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Well, she's out

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

The PMDG 747 has been released for the small price of $54.99... ridiculously high if you ask me, but hey! To each his own. Let us know what you think of her =p

That price is a steal for the plane. I just got it, its so AMAZING!

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

A steal indeed... highway robbery Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I agree with you bildolaf, that's god-awful high if you ask me. Heck, FsPax was only 30 some.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

How could anyone say that is too high. It's too cheap. For the ammount of time and effort put into the airplane. there is no other add-on out there that is this detailed and is by far going to be the best FS add-on ever.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

It looks like a great product and the price is abit step for my blood. As I'm for the UK it should work out at around 30 for us but it still to rich.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Too high Sad

I'll wait 'till they have a sale Thumbs Up!

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

WAY TOO HIGH!!!! Twisted Evil That price is at or within a few dollars of what I paid for the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 A Century of Flight program when it first came out.

I don't have any qualms with PMGD any of the other companies making money, but now we are getting up into the $60 range for one aircraft!? What will they charge us for FS2006 custom aircraft - $100?

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Thats great! Out of my price range, will have to be happy with what I have now or explore some of the less expensive planes I have not had a chance to explore.

For those of you who have PMDG 747 keep us informed nice to hear what can be done.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Guys, seriously, for that price, I bought Doom 3 when it was released, and Battlefield 2. Now, i know the "hoo haa it's a game" routine, but the time and effort put into those far surpasses a single aircraft addon.

But hey, if the price goes down, I'm buying that and the MD-11, which if it follows the current trend that PMDG has (Notice ALL their prices slowly increasing as they pop out more and more) The MD-11 will be like 70 dollars, i'll bet on it.

Im afraid your wrong FEM. The 737NG was 40 when it first came out. The 800/900 expansion was 30. The B1900C and D are both 14.99. Where are you getting these stats that say the price is steadily going up.

This addon is multiples more complex then FSpassengers. 54.99 is not that much, and for this plane it is a great price. The amount of time and effort that went into this plane is unmatched by any other addon for FS today.

I like to think of FS and its addons as Windows XP and other addon programs for it. FS is sort of like an operating system. You can leave it be like it was when you first got it, or you can add more programs. You can get Windows XP Home for about 100 dollars yet there are programs that are over 1000.

You guys dont know what youre missing. This is is the most amazing and complex addon that has ever come out for FS. If most dont want to buy it because of the price, I guess I will be one of the few enjoying the best addon ever for FS.

crosscheck9 Guest

You guys dont know what youre missing. This is is the most amazing and complex addon that has ever come out for FS. If most dont want to buy it because of the price, I guess I will be one of the few enjoying the best addon ever for FS.

Well guest, true, it is a superb add-on, but pretty soon, the price could go down. A person can wait till it becomes a better bargain, and then get it and enjoy "the best addon ever for FS". We don't all have to get it right away - hey, as long as everyone's happy...It doesn't take a $55 dollar add-on to enjoy the best qualities of the sim. Very Happy However, I do agree, it looks wonderful.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Guest, I totalaly agree with you. But the thing is I am not gettin the 747. I was really thinking about it but the Aeroworx Super King Air 200 just attracted me more. But I will be getting the MD-11 which I know will be the same quality as the 747. I think me and you are the only two here that understand the quality of PMDG products and how much effort the team puts into these airplanes. But I hope you have fun flying the Queen and I will have fun flying my King and I will eventually get getting the MD-11.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Notice ALL their prices slowly increasing as they pop out more and more

As I've stated, the prices ARE steadily going up.

Notice

Beech1900 $14.99
737-800/900 $30
737-NG $40
747-400 $60

is that clearer? I should have said something like that the first time

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

PMDG have increased their prices, but I suppose also the quality ($15 is about the most you could get for a 1900, I mean how much can you charge??). I don't have an issue with that, although I do think it's high.

What I DO dislike is that they are releasing the cargo version as an "add on" (what? no windows is an add on?) and of course, here go another 30 bucks. They did the same with NG. You can get the basic frame-eating package for 40 dollars (already kinda high, but ok), but if you want the NG and a few "minor" fixes (like better frame rates, better flight model, more detailed flight deck, things that should have been there for the initial release)... voila! 65 bucks please... ching ching!

The 747 looks like a great add on indeed. The detail is a little too much for me (I don't want to spend an hour every time initializing systems, I don't want to spend the whole flight worried about the tiniest systems that are interlinked and can cause a catastrophe), in short I don't want a 99% real 747 simulator, because I can't fly a real 747. Add to that the fact that I'm not a great fan of the plane and of course the exorbitant (in my opinion) price and it's a no-go for me. Note the "for me" part. Others will buy it I am sure and enjoy it.

PMDG make good planes, no doubt. But their pricing and marketing procedures are crap. I think we can agree on that Smile

To each his own bindolaf. I believe they have the best pricing and marketing out of all the FS companies. Just look at the demand they recieved when the 747 was released. The servers are still having problems!

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

To each his own bindolaf. I believe they have the best pricing and marketing out of all the FS companies. Just look at the demand they recieved when the 747 was released. The servers are still having problems!

Guest,

You're not a PMDG employee are you? Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain

You'd wonder, eh?

Honestly though, I am pretty sure that I'm going to get at least the MD-11 when that's released, provided it's not 80 bucks. And I do want the '47, but not now! I'll wait untill the "Add-on" comes out

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Hey Folks,

I agree - it's very expensive for a download BUT I STILL BOUGHT IT !

I wouldn't mind that price for a CD version but it is too much for a download.... however, like a lot of people, I couldn't resist.

First impressions ;

- Stunning exterior model. Better in reality than the pics on the PMDG site.

- Very Frame Rate Friendly. Perhaps surprising but amongst the best.

- The best Virtual Cockipit you will EVER see. Just stunning. Looks one great big 3D photograph !

- Awful sound. Sorry but they need to fix this FAST. They tried to emulate the "Air Noise" (whoosh) of being in a large airliner but they went too far and it's too harsh and too loud. It really hurts after a while !

- Amazing systems. From FMC (which is better than 737NG and Level D) to EICAS to the Overhead, it's stunning stuff.

- Great hand flying flight dynamics (but not the sheer 'FEEL' magic of Level D 767).

- The FULL panel State is saved. When you save a flight the FMC and Panel is saved fuly Smile

- Some annoying "First day Bugs" .... if you access the PMDG Menu from a flight, you will get some unwanted failures when you return to your flight (Engine 3 failed twice for me).... however, if you act quickly you can fix the problems without ruining your flight.

For me, I can tell already that this will be my 2nd favourite FS complex airline simulation.... It just doesn't overtake the Level D 767 for me but I still think that most people that buy it (and that understand the complex stuff sufficiently) will love it.

Wink

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

YIKES, it just a flight sim you know

Hooray for the escape of all from the crash in Toronto!

No, im not an employee of PMDG, but I do love their products. My top three aircraft (from best to ummmm next best)
1. PMDG 747-400
2. LDS 767-300ER
3. PMDG 737NG