Frame rates - sit up and listen!!!

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Guys,

I read loads of forums here and everyone seems to get so hung up on frame£%^!"£$$%£!!rates. 🙄

Here is a fact, the human eye cant really see that many frames per second, around the 20 - 25 mark. Anything over and above that is a waste of resources, where your pc could be putting them to work in drawing nicer scenery etc.

Lock those frame rates to a sensible limit and then let your pc use the rest of its resources to make the whole experience better.

Now i shall step down off my soap box. Nope

Take care my friends and fellow pilots.

Micah 😉

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've always kept mine between 27-30 to allow for the slight fluctuations.
Keeping it higher just uses resources that could be put to better use elsewhere in the sim.

If I had a super computer like many of you I would leave it at 35 and never worry about a slide-show.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Thanks for the sanity check. I have been wondering what I was missing.
Have tryed unlimited, and have it set currently at 30 think I might try 25 or 20 as long as I get smooth enough feed back so can keep control. I first started fs with a different system, control was difficult at 10 to be sure. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I've never tried to set my frame rates, and for most situations I've had no problem. I've never really looked, so where do you set your frame rates?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I've never tried to set my frame rates, and for most situations I've had no problem. I've never really looked, so where do you set your frame rates?

There's a slide in settings like all the others. If you left it at the default setting you should be ok.

Radar

ACA370 Guest

The human eye's perception of FPS and computers is NOT the same thing...

Here's a fantasic link to read up on it. Its a short read, but very insightful...

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

ACA370 Guest

Hit post too soon 🙂

So as you can see from the article, the reason why FS actually works well at low FPS compares to other games is that FS does do its own motion blur unlike most apps/games. For example, when the prop is spinning fast enough, the image gets replaced with an image blured version of a prop. Most games don't do this, and therefore don't look right unless you have a high enough FPS.

In order words, in FS, at 1 FPS or 35, you see a nice motion blured prop. In most other apps, at 1 FPS, you'd see a standing still prop 🙂 And based on the article, you'd need WELL over 35 FPS to see it blured. 30 FPS in movies etc is due to the fact the motion blur is recorded and played back...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...