Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Cockpits

Pro Member Trainee
abaris Trainee

Since the learning center doesn't do much of a coverage about jet cockpits: Is there any site or ducument, that explains all the different dials in the Big Irons?

I'm especially trying to figure out VOR navigation in the jets to learn, how far I'm really from the airport I'm trying to land on.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Some Navigation tutorials:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/

Pro Member Trainee
abaris Trainee

Well, thank you. Those tutorials certainly come in helpful. What I wanted to know though was, how to read the jet instruments concerning navigation. I can figure them out a little, but I'm far from understanding, what they tell me about VOR directions and the course I have to make for them. Very different than the props.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

There are probably some tutorials and instructions included with FS2004. Check them and let us know how you get on Smile

Pro Member Trainee
abaris Trainee

flyaway wrote:

There are probably some tutorials and instructions included with FS2004. Check them and let us know how you get on Smile

Well, that's the whole problem. The included material doesn't tell me anything about that.

Pro Member Trainee
CinciBearFan Trainee

There are a million places to learn that...you can learn it in the Cessna 172 lessons...

VOR is VOR. Now how to tune the VOR might be slightly different, but that should be pretty easy to do.

Here is an EXCELLENT trainer:

http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/

Pro Member Trainee
markmac141 Trainee

well, what i get from what you posted, you know how to do the vor navigation, but the panels of the bigger aircraft buttons and dials to set the stuff is confusing? well, true there is no documentation for it. It just takes trial and error I guess. All the instruments are basically the same from the cessna 172 to the 747. You just need to locate and figure what each button does. I still have problems when I download addon aircraft and panels... I have looked for the darn GPS button for at least 5-10 minutes before for some of them.

Pro Member Trainee
abaris Trainee

Well, markmac41, you got it right. I was confused where to find what in the jet cockpits and especially of how to turn the direction finder. I've figured it out in the meantime, though I'm still far from understanding all the nice instruments.

Next thing I have to understand is the ILS landing.