SearchSearch 

Descending under ATC

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

What is an expected rate of descent when told by ATC to descend to new flight level - flying light aircraft ??
(When going IFR into Le Bourget and asked to descend from 9000 to 6700ft I lowered at about 800ft/min but this obviously was n't enough as ATC threw his toys out of the pram and after about 2 secs kept repeating "expedite descent" - Embarassed )

7 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

i find that 1k/min. will usually satisfy them.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

2200 fpm will get you there in time regardless of steepness, 2400 with time to spare.

originalgrunge wrote:

2200 fpm will get you there in time regardless of steepness, 2400 with time to spare.

And in a light aircraft it will also have the passengers re-decorating the inside of the cabin for free, probably just after the wings come off.

Mama's sure going to get frightened!! 😂

Pro Member Captain

Well, if you're in light aircraft you're going considerably slower so of course your descent rate will be less. My post was referring to jets of type 737 and up, which I assumed was the original posters question (my mistake on the assumption!)

Isn't 2400fpm descent extreme even for the larger aircraft and passenger comfort?

If you're having to descend at that rate haven't you left it a little late to start the descent?

Pro Member Captain

It's not necessarily too fast for a passenger in a pressurized airliner, and still quite reasonable for it, but it has to be pressurized of course! If it's pressurized, the only real issue then becomes what is the angle you're descending at.