Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

I'm outta here!

Don Wood Guest

Departing today for 3 weeks in Alaska. I'll be back on Forum when I get home at the end of August. See y'all later.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 I envy you, It sounds like a great place to visit, have a good time.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😳 Wrap up warm,I hear it gets cold up there 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Pack your long johns and don't feed the bears. 😉
Have fun.

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Have fun!, enjoy it 😀

Last edited by Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) on Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Have fun and don't slip on the ice!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Perfect place.I wish you great time there. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

You're gonna love it, it's beautiful!

TAKE AND SHOW US PICTURES!

Pro Member First Officer
lds_soldier First Officer

Why does everyone assume it's cold up here, that we travel by dog sled, live in igloos, get attacked by bears, and wear elk skins all the time.

I live in a two story, $365,000.00 house, own a Geo Metro Convertible, seen a bear three times up close without being attacked, in fact, I fished the other side of a river from one. I wear clothes from Wal-Mart, Gotchacks (spelled wrong but who cares), and the temperature right now, in Kodiak is 75 F.

The sun is shining, no ice, no snow except in the mountains, and the ocean is a balmy 58.

So please quit with the stereotypes.

Enjoy your stay here in Kodiak Don, and perhaps we'll meet.

P.S. If you do meet a bear, stay calm, and walk backwards slowly without making eye contact. You'll be fine. And if you make enough noise, you'll never meet one.

Thanks

Pro Member Captain

WE DEDUCE IT because it is up there u know?, near north pole 🙂 , so there is snow and ice, ore not...

Pro Member First Officer

there's snow and ice in Colorado too, but no one automatically assumes it's everywhere, all the time.

I'm not taking offense, I think it's kind of funny actually.

Oh, not all of Alaska is near the north pole, just the northern most parts.

Pro Member Captain

yes, no problem, it is funny by the way 😀 ; it is a good place for a vacations? i like cold weather, a lot!

Don Wood Guest

I made it safely home, despite one emergency landing, after a great trip. I actaully met ids_soldier briefly. As for the photos, in the next few days, as I have time, I'm going to load the best ones to a web site. Once I have them up, I will post the link address for anyone who is interested.

The emergency landing was a Kodiak. On departure in an Era Airlines DeHaviland Dash 8, we had multiple bird strikes at about 300 feet AGL. The pilots continued to climb for a couple of thousand feet then turned back and made an emergency landing at Kodiak. No one was hurt but the aricraft was disabled and I wound up having to reschedule all my return flights beacase Era could not get me back to Anchorage until the next day.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Good to see you back (in one piece) and I for one will be looking forward to your photos.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

LOL

And that one of the better normal flights...So where else did you vist?

Did you go to Barrow or anywhere up north or just the the Capital (Anchorage) and Juneau...(Juneau thinks they are the capital...the joke's on them)

I hope you got some good pictures of my humble little island and I'm glad you got a day of good weather...We actually had three days in a row without rain...many don't know that kodiak is actually a rainforest region...it has rain and a few forests...counts doesn't it?

Don Wood Guest

The furthest north I got on this trip was Talkeetna by train and Tok by road (enroute to Kluane National Park in the Yukon). I also made it Valdez and Homer by road and to Seward (by train and road).

I had a great day fishing for silver salmon in Seward and I loved my first visit to Kodiak Island. It is now my second favorite place in Alaska, after the Kenai Peninsula.

I'll get my phoitos up on the internet in a few days and post a web site link.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I bet we all looking forward to see those pics.Thanks Don 😉

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

looking forward to those pics 😀

Don Wood Guest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Excellent pics.I envy you Don.Its a place i always dream to visit.

Thanks a lot.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Excellent Pictures Don ❗ It looks like a beautiful place 😳

Good Job 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

What a wonderful trip, Alaska certainly is diverse. From the frozen to the flowers and those water falls were just beautiful. The wildlife shots were outstanding (even the pelts).
Thanks for the visit to one of more unusually beautiful states. I appreciate your sharing your pictures with us.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Nice pics 😀 that place looks amazing 😳