Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Around the World in a 747

Pro Member Captain
Canyon (NoWorries) Captain

I started an around the world flight in the Rutan Voyager, but after about fifteen minutes of looking, I realized that it didn't have an autopilot, so I reset the flight and hopped in my trusty Virgin 747-400. Cool I dumped all the baggage and passengers, taking a full load of fuel and myself, a navigator, and a radioman.

My navigator flew me to some major locations, but we never landed, a nonstop around the world flight!

My route was this:
McCarran, Las Vegas to Charles De Galle, Paris.
Charles De Galle, Paris to Vnuko, Moscow.
Vnuko, Moscow to Irkutsk, Lake Baikal.
Irkutsk, Lake Baikal to Adak, Allutian Islands.
Adak, Allutian Islands to McCarran, Las Vegas.

I used 260,000 lbs of fuel, and it took 26 hours, 30 minutes!

Major points of interest from the flight was this was the first time I've flown over Greenland, it was really pretty. I saw two sunrises, one over Greenland and another over Russia. I saw two sunsets, one over France and the other over the Pacific. I saw the Northern Lights just out of Moscow, I didn't know they were programmed into the game, it was really cool. Just north of Lake Baikal is a huge Canyon that looks better than the Grand Canyon, I'm going to have to go back and see if I can find it again.

My 747 was a dream to land with absolutely no weight and only 50,000 lbs of fuel remaining.

Just past Moscow I redid my calculations and realized I wasn't going to make it at my current power settings, I was cruising at 288 kias, about 510 knots actual, using 3400 lbs of fuel per engine per hour. When I bumped it down to 272 kias, around 477 knots actual, I was only using 1800 lbs of fuel per engine per hour! I couldn't believe those 16 kias made that big of a difference! I cruised 35,200 feet the whole way. My basic calculation was 14,000 miles, most of the flight was around 35-50 degrees North, but on the first leg I went a LOT higher.

I was in contact with ATC for most of the flight, except for when I got bored and had to leave the computer room, then I'd take it off of 4x acceleration and tune out ATC.

That was a freakin' blast, I'm glad I did it, and I'd do it again, but maybe in a faster airplane! Smile

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

NoWorries wrote:

288 kias = 3400 lbs of fuel per engine per hour.
272 kias = 1800 lbs of fuel per engine per hour! I couldn't believe those 16 kias made that big of a difference!

Sounds like a great flight. It is amazing that such a small decrease in velocity cuts fuel usage by almost half. Good to know when the oil boys are price gouging you at the JP5 pump and your wallet is a bit on the thin side. Very Happy

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

What a way to get to know your FS world.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I finished my global trip recently. I wanted to stay nearer to the equator.

My itinerary:
MMAA Acapulco [General Juan N. Alvarez Intl], MX ->
SEQU Quito [Mariscal Sucre], EC = 1858 mi ->
SBSL São Luis [Marechal Cunha Machado], BR = 2374 mi ->
GLRB Monrovia [Roberts Field], LR = 2417 mi ->
FIMP Mauritius [Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Intl], MU = 4972 mi ->
WSSS Singapore [Changi Intl], SG = 3474 mi ->
AYPY Port Moresby [Jacksons], PG = 3069 mi ->
NTAA Papeete [Faa'a], Tahiti, Society Islands, PF = 4269 mi ->
KLAX Los Angeles [Intl], CA, US = 4095 mi

Total miles: 26527 mi : 17 hrs.

Pro Member Captain

michlin wrote:

Good to know when the oil boys are price gouging you at the JP5 pump

JP-5!?!?!?! What, are you crazy? All of my jet's run on JP-8 if they're lucky, sometimes I just pour Diesel in there! Laughing I can't afford JP-5!

Your flight sounds pretty impressive, I wanted to mimick Howard Hughes and that's why I stayed up North.

I was going to hit Kotzebue like Hughes, and because a good friend of mine works there, but I realized that my 747 didn't need to stay that close to land as Hughes plane did, and by heading south, I knocked off a lot of mileage.

The more I read about the Voyager flight, the more I'm glad I did the Hughe's version, I knew it would take a long time, but 9 days? Eek.

What kind of plane did you do your your flight in? Sounds like a great flight.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

JP8 it is!

I started the first leg with the Lear 45. On the second leg I switched to the fictitious SST Stratojet Excaliber to cut down on flight time and stayed with it. With the faster aircraft I was able to actually stay in the cockpit much longer.

Last edited by michlin on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
BTLew81 Trainee

A little off topic, but when you say you had a radioman and a navigator, do you use a program for that, or is it incorportated into FS? I don't have the game yet, but will soon!
thanks!

Pro Member Captain

BTLew81 wrote:

A little off topic, but when you say you had a radioman and a navigator, do you use a program for that, or is it incorportated into FS? I don't have the game yet, but will soon!
thanks!

FS2004 takes a lot of creativity to keep it fun for more than a few flights. When I said I took them, I pretty much just added their weights onto the plane, 165 lbs for the navigator and 185 lbs for the radioman.

Unfortunately I was still responcible for all of the radio frequencies and gps functions.