SearchSearch 

Helicopter Mission, cool flights...

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Alright, I got into coming up with cool flights after seeing the, I dare you, post. Here is a real life flight.

Start with a powerful helicopter, the B206BIII will work, but not so well. While 206's are flown on this flight, they have high altitude engines, which the MSFS Bell does not. I suggest a Eurocopter(Aerospatiale) AS-350B, as it is a favorite for this flight.

Set yourself on airport 1G4, runway 35. The reason I say 35 is because the way the wind comes over the airport, runway 35 is always in operation. Ignore the landform at the end of the runway, it is an anomally. The earth does raise there, but not that much.

Find yourself some passengers, rich tourists are the best, but a couple wanting to get married works too.

Take-off, instantly turn around and fly back in the direction you came. The first left you will come to is Descent Canyon, it's almost straight down, and looks pretty similar to real life. Beware, this descent has claimed six lives and two helicopters in the past four years.

When you hit the river, if you look left, you'll see a little outcropping, this isn't part of the mission, but I wanted to point it out, it is incredibly realistic to real life, I've landed on that outcropping and had to hike half way up the canyon to retrieve what was left of one of the aformentioned helos.

Keep an eye out for boaters that have strayed from Lake Mead and remember to wave.

FS2004 does not have helicopter pads, this makes me sad. Once you've seen the river, turn right following it. Along the river has helipads in real life, it's flat enough in the game that you can set down. Let your passengers get married or eat lunch or whatever they paid you for, and then hop back in. The Canyon leading away from this landing sight is the way out, stay to the right, and the airport will be on your right when you come over the rim.

This flight can also be flown from Las Vegas, but the economy package leaves from 1G4.

Have fun!

10 Responses

Andy2005 Guest

If only I could fly helicopters. 😞 .
Do you actually fly helicopters in real life and if so how similar is flight simulator?
I remember when I visited grand canyon I bought a book called 'Death in the Grand Canyon'. It lists many of the deaths that have occured in the grand canyon, many of which were from aircraft. I took a heli tour with my family in the GC only to look in the book a few days later to find the same company had crashed a helicopter a few months before! Surprised

Pro Member First Officer

I worked on Bell 206BIII, 206L1, and 206L3 helicopters for five years. In those five years, I logged over 100 hours of passenger seat time on maintenance acceptance rides and other flights. I only have about two and a half hours where I was actually in control of the aircraft, and I've never taken lessons.

In as much, I feel that flight simulator is infinitely harder to fly a helicopter than in real life. I have probably thirty hours of simulator helicopter flight time, and I still have a hard time with them. If helicopters were as hard to fly in real life as in the game, no one would ever fly. A real helicopter is a gyroscope that likes it's current attitude, when you make a change to the controls, you get reliable results. In the game, the helicopter hates being on it's skids and loves to flip over. If you can fly a helicopter remotely well in the game, you can fly a real helicopter.

P.S. Real helicopter pilots get really mad when you say that, but it's true.

As for the helicopter deaths in the Grand Canyon, the largest carrier, and most likely the one you flew with, has been in operation since the sixties, and their Grand Canyon contingent has never had a passenger fatality. The other helicopter company has never had an incident.

The 206 helicopter is the safest single engine aircraft in the world. This does not mean that they don't crash, because their sheer popularity means there are thousands of them flying, and they get crashed all the time. But their cabins are designed around crash survivability, and is a very safe place to be.

Grand Canyon is a major contributor to aviation, in 1957 a major mid-air occured when two planes came together trying to give their passengers a better view, and as a direct result, in 1958 a little organization called the FAA was formed. Grand Canyon has its own FAR to safely operate the crazy number of planes that fly in and out of it every day, more traffic than LAX sees over the same time, dawn to dusk.

It's easy to focus on the accidents in the Grand Canyon and say it's a dangerous place to fly, but two 737's and an A320 crashed in the world this month alone, that doesn't mean commercial airliners are dangerous either.

Andy2005 Guest

Interesting info. I hope Microsoft do something about the helicopters for 2006. The helicopter company I flew with was called Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters. Here's what it says in the book.

August 10 2001
Grand Wash cliffs at elevation 3,700ft on 5,600ft cliff on BLM land 5 miles E of Meadview
Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters' American Eurocopter AS350-B2 skimmed the Grand Wash Cliffs then crashed (the fifth Papillon incident in 2 years). A local rancher. Floyd Dwiggens, three miles from the crash site, noted how tour helicopters had been "nose-diving" as a "thrill seeking type of thing." "There have been loads of them doing it," Dwiggins said. "They kick through here 100 feet off the deck." Sole survivor, New Yorker Chana Daskal, age 25, suffered a fractured spine and 80% burns. SHe told paramedics, "It got quiet and fell from the sky." Yet NTSB preliminary mechanical evidence indicates the engine and rotor were both turning during a puzzling, almost vertical, straight down descent to impact.
There were six fatalities in the crash.

Pro Member First Officer

I've been trying to fly my own challenge, and I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible. FS9 has horrible helicopter dynamics, this is an extremely high elevation flight, and the helicopters just won't fly up here to any sort of reliability. I tried to fly the MD-900 through here, which is a high altitude search and rescue bird with 1000 hp, but it just can't handle the simulated elevation. I agree with you, I hope Microsoft fixes it.

The helicopter they are talking about in your magazine is the Aerospatiale AS350B, which is named by the French as "A-Star", but known to pilots as "Squirrel" and to everyone else as "Death-Star". It's a hellofa helo to fly due to it's relationship with ground effect over it's super round belly, and it has no crash-proofing in the cabin. When one crashes, everyone dies, and I won't fly in them. Organizations like the National Park Service, Green Peas, the Sierra Club, inter alia, are always trying to change the way the Grand Canyon is seen from the air. Papillon has been trying to find helicopters quieter than the venerable 206, which is ideally suited for this kind of flight with its Allison 250-C30P engine, and they have bought into some blunders, such as the Air-o-spatula, and Sikorsky S-55 Whisperjet. They fight the legislation hard, but it's a losing battle with the environmentalists.

P.S. The Sierra Club is wrong.

FlyByRotor... Guest

Jesus... Just have to comment on that reply, where if you can fly a helicopter in a simulator, you can fly it easily in real life...

- Nah -

Pro Member Trainee
Falcon3 Trainee

Having over 3000 hours in various helicopters both military and civilian - I'd say you are so full of crap with that statement - it's funny. If you think you can transition from Flight sim helos into real life helos - have a great insurance policy, and call the media - because if you can do it - my hat is off to you. Now, I'm sure you could hop in, pull up the collective and get it to become airborne - but after that - well fella - have fun. Get a grip!

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Welcome to Flyaway Falcon3 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Welcome to the forums Falcon3

🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Welcome,Falcon,i sare the same intrest as you do(but not the expierience). 😀

Pro Member First Officer

Falcon3 wrote:

Having over 3000 hours in various helicopters both military and civilian - I'd say you are so full of crap with that statement - it's funny. If you think you can transition from Flight sim helos into real life helos - have a great insurance policy, and call the media - because if you can do it - my hat is off to you. Now, I'm sure you could hop in, pull up the collective and get it to become airborne - but after that - well fella - have fun. Get a grip!

In an above post, I said, "P.S. Real helicopter pilots get really mad when you say that, but it's true."

Thank you for proving me right.