Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical university

crosscheck9 Guest

Hello,
I was looking at a few aeronautical universities, for when it comes time to send my applications. As I was searching, I came across a very good school, called Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. I've been looking at the website, and I can't find anything that talks about expense. Does it have dorms? Things like that. I need to see if I can afford it. Thanks for the help.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

There is a place someware on their site that says Request More Info, I did that and they sent me a ton of really cool stuff including a DVD. Very Happy

I think it's like $80,000 a year. Surprised Shocked

crosscheck9 Guest

ARE YOU SURE??!! Confused I found a link that estimates about 40,000 for one year, including tuition and housing etc...

here's the link

http://www.erau.edu/er/financialaid/estcosts.html

Pro Member Captain
Canyon (NoWorries) Captain

I am enrolled in Embry Riddle's distance learning program. The teachers and staff are incredible, but it is a very expensive school. Fortunately I've got the Montgomery GI Bill to pay for it, otherwise I think I'd have to look elsewhere.

It's definitely worth it though.

crosscheck9 Guest

Can you please give me an overview of how distance learning works? Does that mean they have campuses elsewhere?

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Don't let a cost like 40k a year deter you though, because most private schools (with room and board included) cost that much (if not more!). There are still loans/grants/scholarships out there to help.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

I am going to University of North Dakota for my degree in ATC. Embry Riddly looks good too.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

I am attending ERAU for my Master's Degree through distance learning. The reason the tuition is high is because of their reputation. It's a good school that is well known.

Take the initiative to look for scholarships. There are tons of them out there.

Pro Member Captain
Canyon (NoWorries) Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

Can you please give me an overview of how distance learning works? Does that mean they have campuses elsewhere?

Distance learning works two ways. I'm on a military base, so we have actual classrooms, and instructors from Cambridge and other schools come up and teach us about general stuff when no-one else is available, for my safety course, we have a retired AirForce officer who was in charge of AFOSH (AirForce Occupational Safety and Health) teach us that, we have an officer of the JAG (Judge Advocate General) teach us law. It works out nice, you are taught both by people to revel in the theory of the stuff, and also by people who live it every day. The biggest downside to actually being in the classroom is that they are short, and you have to work really hard for only a few days, then you pretty much sit around waiting for the next class to start.

The other way distance learning works is over the internet. I'm signed up for three of these, two starting in October and one in November, since I'll be rotating South by SouthEast for a few months. These classes are taught by people all over the world, my last one was taught by a Naval Chief while he was somewhere in the Pacific, while I was somewhere in the Arabian Gulf. They are pretty much self paced, and for the most part you read the book, it's the first time I've ever read a text book cover to cover. The class I took was based a lot in theory, so the class took part about fifty percent in a forum just like this one, only a secure site, and we talked about what we'd read. That is where a lot of the grade came from, because it's the only way the instructor can tell you're getting the material.

Have you thought about a short hop through the military? There is an Embry Riddle on practically ever base, and it's all paid for to service members. It's a great way to see the world, I don't recommend the career, but four years is a small price to pay to learn a vocational job, see things in the world you didn't think you'd ever see, and get thousands and thousands of dollars worth of the best aviation school in the world, for free. The most important part about being in the Military is to make it work for you, the military never gave anyone anything they didn't work for, and most of the people I work with joined for the education, and just sit on their asses drinking all the time.