A little bounce on touchdown

crosscheck9 Guest

When I fly the Posky Amerian 757-200, I always seem to bounce on touchdown. Nothing drastic. It's just that, I don't think I can have the landing any smoother, and yet it still jumps. The amount of the bounce is very little, but you can hear it, and it makes you think you made a bad landing, therefore, you feel incompetent. This has happened everytime I land. I know it's not a glitch in the aircraft, because it used to happen before in different aircraft. I guess you have to "feel" it. Let me run you through my final configuration of the aircraft before touchdown. After glideslope intercept, I descend at about 700 fpm. I intially start off at 140 kts, with flaps 30. As I descend, I increase and decrease the throttle as required to remain on the glidepath. Then, by the time I'm above the runway threshold, my speed is at about 130 kts, and nose is raised to about 6 degrees. I try to "fly" it onto the runway as much as possible, but I'm always afraid of floating, so I get nervous by then. Sometimes, the aircraft floats so much, I end up stopping at the end of the runway, but this is on a rare occasion. Any help would be nice. Thanks

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

When do you cut the throttle?

crosscheck9 Guest

When I've established that I'm above the runway...normally when gpws calls 50 ft

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Since I reinstalled FS2004, my Boeing 737-300 (I don't know by who) bounces too. The stock -400 and the 747's don't do it, the -300 just seems to like being in the air. 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Bouncing usually occurs when the landing is too hard. This can be because of:
1) High speed (which probably isn't your problem)
2) Flaring too early or too much. This means you lose speed quickly and can slam harder into the runway.
3) Coming in at a higher angle. If you come in at a steep angle you'll hit the runway hard and bounce back up.

To combat this, try to land at the correct speed, like you are already doing, flare a few degrees just before you land. Literally, a few feet above the runway is what I do. And when you approach the runway at around 500 feet I usually dip just a tiny bit below the glideslope so I don't hit the runway hard. Works for me 😉

Lastly, try pressing [ to open a new window and set it to spot plane view so you can watch your aircraft from the side which is very helpful

Hope it helps 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

Your passengers like the bounce anyway. They feel like they are getting more for their money if they get two or three landings for the price of one. 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

Hehe nice one kurt

gazpode_l Guest

I always used to think that sometimes if you come in too slow you drop hard on the runway and bounce anyway, so given the fact that you said you land at around 130knts I suspect 6' is not enough angle of flare. I would say go for more flare at this slow speed.

I usually come in anywhere between 140-150knts and if my loaded panel reads out heights, i cut the power at 50 foot and drop the nose, but VERY SLIGHTLY!

the last few landing's i've flown myself i've greased it no problem, but alignment is now my problem. I also am crap at doing an autopilot ils approach.

regards
Gary

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks for your replies everyone - 99jolegg, I tried what you said, and opened up a new view, so that I could see what was going on during touchdown. In the main gear, set at the back touched down smoothly, but the ones right in front of them bounced once, if you know what I mean. I had a very experienced friend try one of the Posky 757's, and he experienced the same thing. I guess it's either an error in the .air file, or all 757's are made like that

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I'm going to try a landing in a 757 and see how it goes. I don't really fly the 757 much so I wouldn't really know.

😉

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks, I appreciate the help 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Also, make sure to check the weight of the plane when you are landing. Airliners are set and fuelled up so they land within certain limits - fuel to weight wise. If the fuel weight is out of this limit, than it is very easy to bounce.

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

I think I know what's the problem. You flare too high! About 3 degress would do it. I know 'cause I've had the same problem with a 727, and then when I decreased the flare, it was alright!

😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...