1920x1200 monitor-used to full advantage?

Pro Member Trainee
kentheflyer Trainee

When I built my flight simulation computer a few months ago I went back and forth between buying multiple (3) 19-21in crt's with two video cards or 1 Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor that runs at 1920x1200. I ended up going with the Dell because I thought that I I would be able to see about the same as what would be projected on the 3 crt but with the simplicity of one monitor and one video card.

This is where I need help: The desktop and all other aplications run at 1920x1200. The menu of FS2004 runs at 1920x1200 but when MSF loads my flight it looks like the flight environment is just 1080x768. I've used the hardware tab of the display section of MSF settings and changed the resolution from 1920x1080x768 to test my theory and I was right-what is shown on screen is the same it just looks better at the higher resolution.

How can I get my big ol' monitor to show the wider viewing angle I want when flying?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

The only option with a single monitor that I know of is to open additional windows for different views, the problem with that is it will cut down on your viewing area of the main screen. Regardless of resolution you get the same viewing area and multiple monitors is the only way around that that I know of.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't want it to seem like I don't want to answer but you should call Dell. You are still in the free tech support time line.

Is your video card capable of handling that also.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong RadarMan, but resolution has nothing to do with the viewing area you will see does it? You get a cleaner picture but my experience is the viewing area doesn't change.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

100% correct, as far as I know. I fly at 1600x1200x32. It takes some from performance but both the picture I see and my screenshots are better.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
kentheflyer Trainee

Thanks for the info gentlemen-it really bums me out though. I bought that behemith thinking I'd see more dirt trees and rock. I wonder if I can send it back for multiple smaller monitors? I'll give it a try.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...