Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

767 giving me problems on descent

crosscheck9 Guest

The Ifdg 767 has been giving me a lot of problems on descent. For example, I was cleared by ATC to 9000 feet, so I when I arrived at that altitude, the aircraft had to start making alterations of about 20 feet or so, which is natural, just to say at altitude, but it was trying to make these alterations at 500 fpm, which makes it very unstable. The aircraft kept nosing up and down because of this. If what I said isn't clear, please tell me, and I'll try to explain a little differently. Thanks.

crosschek9 Guest

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad - I just had the WORST flight of my life - I have a lot to add to the this post. On approach, approah, about 5 miles before turning base, I reduced to 225 kts, with flaps 15, and the plane had a 6 degree angle!! On landing, I reduced to 145 kts, with full flaps, and the plane was easly going above 12 degrees, so frantically, I raised my airspeed to about 170 kts. On final, When I began to descend on the glidepath, the plane would suddenly nose up quikly, and so I'd have to push forward on the stick. This happened a few times. I tried to make little alterations with the throttle, but they made no difference, throttle wasn't helping for some reason, I increased thrust a lot more, and then I'd end up above the glidepath, then I reduce thrust, and I'd be below glidepath. I crahsed the 767 durng stall recovery about 1500 above the ground. This was definately the worst flight I have EVER had. It really puts a damper on my love of flight. These things shouldn't happen. I haven't crashed in 3 years now, and this little stupid accident shifted my whole view of flight. It can be frustrating as hell, I understand, but these things just tear you up on the inside. I will keep flying - yes, and I will love it just as much as I did before, but ....AAGH! Please help. I was using Jimmy Richards's 757/767 panel, and IFDG's 767-336 British Airways. Please offer some suggestions. 😞

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

OK I'll try my best to help. So regarding your first post are you trying to say that at 9000 feet the airplane keep on going up at down to teim itself out and not stay level at the certain altitude. Now on the second post, check your landing weight. If you were coming in heavy your approach speed would need to be faster. I don't know if the plane came with speed charts but you would need to find some to use. also we all have bad flight. I have some bad flights. We all learn from our mistakes. I crash sometimes when im flying in FS9.

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks for your reply Jared. In the first post, I meant that I was cleared to 9000 ft, so when I arrived at the altitude, I expected the aircraft to make little adjustments of about 20 ft or so to stay on altitude. Normally, an aircraft would correct altitude differenes like this at about 50-70 fpm, but the 767 was trying to make the adjustments at 500 fpm, and so it would overshoot/undershoot it's target repeatedly.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

OK that is what I was thinking you were saying crosscheck. I can't tell you why the do that. It has happened to me with some freeware planes. The problem has to be with the trim. Also i was having this problem with the default 747 awhile back but it all of a sudden stopped.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Crosscheck, I too have problems with many 767's. They are fairly unresponsive and I find them quite hard to handle. I would say that reducing your speed to 145 KIAS may be one problem. 145 KIAS is a good landing speed in a 737 but in a 767, it is quite slow. Try increasing that to around 160 KIAS on approach and land at around 150-155 KIAS. That usually works for me. If you are quite heavy, i.e. 40% fuel left or above then increase that to 160-165 KIAS.

As for your first problem regarding the 767 over shooting. I too have had this problem and I find it is just the autopilot over compensating badly. A lot of people have problems with this on approach. When it happens to me, I disengage the altitude hold and VSI hold and manually correct my height so I am around 100 feet of 9000 feet. Then re-engage the AP for altitude and it should work fine after that.

Let us know how you get on 😉

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have taken your advice, and have decided to hand-fly my approaches in the 767. Although I don't necesserily want to do it, it's my only option. Thanks again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have taken your advice, and have decided to hand-fly my approaches in the 767. Although I don't necesserily want to do it, it's my only option. Thanks again.

Sounds like a good idea, it helps a lot to do it manually 😉