6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but only when it is time to eat.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 43

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I'm interested to see if folks compress time (R+) on long flights.

crosscheck9 Guest

Well, seeing as how I'm not a member, I can't give feed my input into the post itself. I only compress flights when I know that I have to be doing something else, and if I go out or something, I'll miss the landing. In that case, I'll compress and land. I'll also compress if I realize that by the time it comes to landing, I'll be asleep. Otherwise, I like to stay as real as it gets.

Nero89 Guest

Im also a guest so i cant post in the poll either.

I always compress in a flight in which there is some sort of period at a cruise altitude e.g. if the flight is long enough to have cruise altitude point i compress that. I don't compress for lessons or flights that are only approaches. neither do i compress takeoffs and climbs or descents and approaches. Its not very realistic but it saves precious time which i can put towards other flights- also shortens long international flights quite significantly.

Nero89 Guest

Im also a guest so i cant post in the poll either.

I always compress in a flight in which there is some sort of period at a cruise altitude e.g. if the flight is long enough to have cruise altitude point i compress that. I don't compress for lessons or flights that are only approaches. neither do i compress takeoffs and climbs or descents and approaches. Its not very realistic but it saves precious time which i can put towards other flights- also shortens long international flights quite significantly.

Nero89 Fly's:
------------------------------------------
Virgin Blue 737-700
Qantas 'Yananyi' 737-800
British Airways 747-400
Atlas Air 747-400

Pro Member First Officer
Barge First Officer

I fly mainly on VATSIM nowadays and i never use time compression as it is not very realistic at all.

Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I don't like using time compression; its very unrealistic and I don't normally fly very long flights and if I do, I watch TV whilst flying as not to get bored Yes

Pro Member Chief Captain

I generally do not compress, though I must confess that yesterday, I flew from Los Angeles to Honolulu and compressed the time until I go to about 200 miles from my destination. There isn't much to look at over the ocean. Wink

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I too fly a lot on VATSIM, where time compression is a No-No (unless ATC authorizes it in rare cases). I can generally time my long distance ones around my sleep schedule. There are a few though that I'll do during the day (i.e.: IAD - SFO) because 6 hours is always a very inconvinient block of time to be near my computer.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Nope - I fly on Vatsim.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't care for the idea of compressing the time, if the trip is that long I'll set it up when I can leave the computer for hours at a time and let it go in "real time".
It seems to be more realistic to me.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

It depends on the time i have.Im closer to realistic way,but once i was late Hit with Chair and when i get back home.... you all know what i find..... Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing(im never using the auto refuel or the ignorance option of it)

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I only use time compression always on long-distance flights mainly in jets and propliners. Usually I use it at cruising altitude but never during takeoffs, climb, descent, or landing unless if I'm in a rush. When I'm say about 100-150 nm from the airport, I slow it back down to normal to get ready to descent. But usually, I use it till the controller tells me to descend.

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

you must be bored, digging up a one-year-old topic! Shocked

PS I don't use time compression. If I run out of time, I pause and complete the flight later on Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Never have, never will. Personally I don't see a point to doing it. If you don't wanna fly that long, fly a shorter route. Problem solved.

I recently just went my longest flight from Milwaukee to Vegas, which thankfully to a strong head wind took about 4 hours. Nice being able to do long flight without the game crashing. Thanks again to those of you who helped me solve that problem. Smile

Pro Member First Officer
TimH First Officer

I never use compressed time

I dont see why people do it. Why fly a 10 hour flight but speed it up so its only 5 hours? Why not just fly a 5 hour flight and dont speed it up, it makes no sense

My longest flight was 13 hours, YSSY - KLAX I think it was. I didnt use time acceleration but I wont say it wasnt a bit boring over the ocean all that time. I just watched tv and surfed the net in the in-flight browser Wink

Pro Member First Officer
omgttfs First Officer

I use it sometimes.
I like the idea of longer flights and flying into and out of particular airports, but with a boy of 3 and another almost 1, I don't get the opportunity to neglect them for long enough to do it in real time. I could lock them in the car for a while I suppose.

My longest flights are about 2 hours in the evening after they go to sleep. I do agree, it somewhat detracts from the realism, just sometimes I don't have a choice.

Don't hate me because I compress time! There are so many more reasons.

Flyer4000 Guest

I never fly long haul flights, so real time is fine for me. I prefer flying the small single or twin propellar planes on short trips. I have used the Jets, but they just don't interest me as much.

Pro Member Captain
Steve (SpiderWings) Captain

I've made a bunch of long flights and I will compress time when over ocean or deseret that has no changing scenery. I would never have been able to fly to all the countries on the globe without time compression. However I am sitting at the computer the entire flight, seeing what is passing below me and what is going with the aircraft.

When I compress time I'm a bit turn between wanting to get a real feel for that particular flight and wanting to see a lot of places. With that in mind I usually compress to double speed, occassionally 4x, but still want a long flight to be somewhat long... just something I can stand doing. I will continually remind myself that it would be taking twice or 4 times as long in real and I have to say that on some of those flights I'm not sure how the pilots cope with it.

Crossing the Atlantic in the Spirit of St. Louis, Lindbergh was fighting sleep off just 4 hours after takoff and he still had over 30 hours to go. I had the exact same problem at double speed even though I was having to work the stick the entire way.

I love flying on the sim but I'm also a real geography buff and so I want to see as many different places as I can and still have a sense of realism.

Oh... I do use pause. My wife seems to think I should do stuff like mow the lawn when I'm half way across the Pacific. She doesn't get how impractical that really is!

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

never done a flight over 2hrs i don't think - no need to use it Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain

I find it amazing that a thread that is over a year old, has gotten resurrected.

Since the time I first posted, the only times I have used time compression is when some real world event has forced me to. Pausing a flight or saving it and finishing the next day seem equally unrealistic to me.

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

I only fly on VATSIM now so its a nono, i enjoy longhaul flights so usually chat to other pilots online and watch tv or videos films etc Smile

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

For guys who don't compress time, you got to! I just made a second flight from Newark to Kaohsiung, Taiwan over the north pole using the time compression up to 16X (max speed for autopilot) and got there in 2-3 hours in real time! Cool

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

KevinTsai wrote:

For guys who don't compress time, you got to! I just made a second flight from Newark to Kaohsiung, Taiwan over the north pole using the time compression up to 16X (max speed for autopilot) and got there in 2-3 hours in real time! Cool

And the point of that being?

No I don't Smile