Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

throttle 3/4?

When I am cruising in the cessna 172 or any other prop plane why do I only cruise with the throttle 3/4? wouldn't it be faster to cruise with it all the way in?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

It would be faster, but after a while you'd see smoke coming out of the engine compartment and it would sputter, falter and die.

You shouldn't push engines to the max for long Smile

Pro Member Captain
Canyon (NoWorries) Captain

Anonymous wrote:

When I am cruising in the cessna 172 or any other prop plane why do I only cruise with the throttle 3/4? wouldn't it be faster to cruise with it all the way in?

If the plane has an adjustable prop, once you're in the air, you adjust the pitch for highest efficiency, thats where you get your real speed.

So I don't d cruise with it at full because it is to hard on the engine. I use the propeller lever to ajust for the maximum speed?
Thankyou for the help

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Usually it's more economic also. (fuel wise)

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

I'm confused!!! Confused

If the throttle is full, AND the prop is FULL isn't that the fastest possible? Of course, I'm talking about 1000ft at most, because when you go higher (much higher than 1000ft), you have to decrease the prop beause that automatically happens to the throttle, right?

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Bartholomew wrote:

I'm confused!!! Confused

If the throttle is full, AND the prop is FULL isn't that the fastest possible?

Here's a comparison. Adusting the prop pitch is similar to upshifting a standard tranmission in a car. You would get the higher speeds in top gear and fuel saving lower RPMs.

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

Um... I think I get it... But I don't drive! Laughing