Real life ATC

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

Does anyone know if you can listen to real life ATC from the UK. i have been on plenty of ATC's from the states but its not really the same when you dont know the airport huh! Hence i was wondering if anyone knew any UK ones.

Cheers

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest

Via an airband scanner you mean?

Pro Member First Officer

Airband scanner? I was lookinf for websites thats stream it live?!? if that makes sense

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I can find everywhere in the world except the UK.

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/ Ask them.

http://www.liveatc.net/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

I know, Its shocking! Here is another challange Radar Man. Find a Virtual Airway that has a hub in Edinburgh! Tongue

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

#111 if they are still in business.

I wonder if it's legal to listen to the ATC in the UK.

Radar

This is reportedly Gatwick and Heathrow ATC.

any other world airport we can hear the ATC ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

any other world airport we can hear the ATC ?

Many, here is just one site with a number of different country feeds.

http://www.liveatc.net/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

#111 i think are out of business. i tried to email them the other day and my email bounced twice so i just left it. Cheers for the ATC at gatwick tho 😛

Thanks

BUY A SCANNER

Pro Member First Officer

Hi Guys,

i have just learned tonight that it is against UK law for ATC to be streamed on the internet! hence i ant really get any UK ones.

Jst thought i would let you know

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

AJWatson2209 wrote:

Hi Guys,

i have just learned tonight that it is against UK law for ATC to be streamed on the internet! hence i ant really get any UK ones.

Jst thought i would let you know

Quite surprising 😳

If you can listen to major airport communication in America, I'd thought you could here Dont Know

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Hi Folks,

Interesting discussion !

It is indeed illegal in the UK to intercept any ATC signals - however it is incredibly easy to do with a VHF scanner, and the law is not exactly "rigourously upheld" when it comes to civilian people who often sit close to airport grounds listening to ATC.

However, this law does mean that there aren't an abundance of Web-based ATC sites for streaming UK ATC ..... just the odd illegal site.

Here's a detailed explanation of the UK law:...................

Legally there is no question about it. AIRBAND LISTENING IS AGAINST THE LAW. We understand that listening to airband does require a licence. However, persons are allowed to listen to such transmissions providing any information heard is not passed to a third party. Many of the scanners we sell can be tuned to the Police band and you are warned. LISTENING TO THE POLICE AND CARPHONE BANDS IS NOT PERMITTED. ANYONE FOUND WITH SUCH FREQUENCIES IS LIABLE TO PROSECUTION AND SCANNERS CONFISCATED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

............. and more good info where this quote came from:

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

So it is against the law to listen to ATC transmissions in the UK. That is just another of the rights and privileges that Americans can take for granted, and be thankful to have.

I wonder how the police would KNOW that you are listening to the aircraft frequencies?? Would your neighbors turn you in to the authorities-- like they did in Nazi Germany?? Crying or Very sad

Madbrit Guest

Surprisingly enough it is possible to determine the frequency that a radio or TV is tuned to from nearby with the right equipment.

It has been in use for many years in the UK to prosecute people who do not have a TV license for the address where the TV is located. Readings from the equipment can be used as evidence in court if the accused is stupid enough to challenge it. Most put up their hands and pay the license fee.

Years ago a license was requried for TV and Radio but on the introduction of the transistor radio it became an impossible task to prosecute everyone so the Radio license was abolished.

TV retailers are required by law to collect the address that the set will be used at when selling a TV. They pass this information to the Licensing Authority. They check addresses that do NOT have a license and prosecute if their detection equipment finds a TV at the address. They also check addresses of expired licenses or where no license is recorded as having been issued.

Not sure of the fines now 'cos it's a while since I left the UK, but one of the Brits can tell us.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...