Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

ILS help!

rupps Guest

Hi! I am a total newbie to Flight Simulator, however, I'm really hooked into FS2004 and am completing the different flight lessons ... they may be useful someday if the pilot is unconscius Smile

Ok ... so yesterday I learned how to deal with ILS. Thing is, I don't know how to use it outside ILS lessons, that is, I use "create a flight", and program a flight from, let's say, Chino (California) to Ontario (California) -very short trip- with the CESSNA. I select "IFR flight". Ok. I can start flying, and radios often keep me bouncing from controller to controller. Moreover, ILS needles don't seem to spin, they're always centered. And sometimes the controllers order me to do weird things, like to climb 10,000 with the cessna, or turn into a weird route (checked in GPS)...

anybody help? I only want to do a simple ILS landing.

thanx in advance!

Pro Member Trainee
ronaldpatton Trainee

You need to enter the radio frequency of the ILS into the number 1 nav to get things to move. Airports with an ILS are shown on the GPS with a green arrow pointed toward the runway. Use the GPS to select KONT as your destination for example and then press the PROC key on the GPS and you can select the ILS approach you want. At Ontario, you will find the the ILS 08L and ILS 26R frequency is 109.7 and the ILS 26L is 111.35 Take the time to fly with Rod and do the ILS lessons. Then you can practice at Ontario. Also, do take the time to master the GPS. I (and many others) use the Reality XP Garnin530 GPS add on. It uses the Garmin simulator is exactly how they really work. Happy flying.

rupps Guest

That radio thing was definitely what I was missing... I thought the radios were using auto-tuning Smile I'll look forward to find the GPS add-on.

Thanks!!!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Another thing for you is when you create a flight have a look to see the hight that has been selected for you and just change it before clicking ok
That way you can limit the hight to anything

Hope it helps

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Also check out our ILS tutorials at:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/

thank you guys! flyaway, I've printed all the tutorials, they are helpful and fun to read... ILS is no longer an issue for me 🙂

Just one question for you 🙂, when the ATC says "mantain heading XXX until stabilished in the localizer" does it mean that when I get spin on the localizer needle I can forget about the assigned heading? or I have to wait to be pretty close, or past the outer marker? I've had some complaints from the ATC a couple of times, even though I thought I was following his instructions...

And another for tomthetank 🙂 Even though I assign 4000 or whatever height in that window, sometimes, in the middle of the flight, the ATC asks me to climb too much (I've even been told to climb to 11500 on a cessna!!)... I've seen a few ATC's giving you the option to request a decrease in flying height, but doesn't seem to be the general mood... Is there a way to ask for height reduction in that cases?

thank you all in advance! nice site, flyaway!

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 Are you flying the stock Cessna or a add on?(ATC is supposed to recognise aircraft type and stop that stupid fl11000 stuff)
The opotion for hight increase/decrease is(I think)only in ifr flights
Umm... Just off to check something

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Tomthetank, did you recive my PM?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

flyaway wrote:

Tomthetank, did you recive my PM?

Oops! Its been ages since Ive been in there