Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Bad Frame Rates - Please advise

crosscheck9 Guest

I'm getting very choppy frame rates, although I do not know why. My system specs are more than capable of delivering exceptional performance, however, it may be because of my video card. The following is a list of the specs of my system -

Intel Pentium 4
3.2 GHZ
1.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000.

All of the slides in the sim are at or less than half way. I've lowered the screen resolution to the absolute minimum there is, and my target frame rate is 20FPS - Please tell me what I can do to improve the performance. Thanks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think that its a VGAs problem.Its a good but old card and doesnt feets a lot with the rest of your specs which are great.My opinion is that maybe you have to start thinking of upgraded it.

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks for your response. I'm not very bright in the computer world, so I wouldn't know what to upgrade it to. Do you have any suggestions. Something that would make flight enjoybale, but I don't want to pay too much money on it, I'm stretching my limits at the moment.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I get you...

My old VGA card was a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 128 mb.I was very satisfied from its performance and it responding very well to FS needs.Im sure that if you search you could find a used one in a good price.As an example i reffer you that this card as a used one here in Greece costs between 40-50 Euros.

crosscheck9 Guest

Again, thanks for your help Greekman. I'll search around ebay and similar sights to see the best price I can get it at. I'm gonna have to find some way of getting the money though. I think it's a descent price, and your reccomendation made it seem that much better for me, so I'm gonna do my best to try and purchase it. Again, thank you. Any more suggetions are welcome. I'll let you know how I get along.

crosscheck9Guest Guest

Take a look at this link - Does it look fine - Hey, I can get it for $2, but I'm scared cause it might not function well..Take a look.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I believe that you get that its an auction and maybe if you hit with 2$ someother will up the price.Look ,the used staff always contains risks.Noone can guarantie anything.I have bought in past some used staff and in the most of cases i was satisfied according to the money i gave.
Wink

crosscheck9 Guest

Well, thanks for yor reply Greekman. So I guess your saying if it's that cheap, chances are it's not going to perform well. I'm assuming that if I want to get a good peice of equipment like that, it's going to cost me anywhere from 80-100 Dollars, so I need to figure out a way to get some money. Where I live, it's not as easy to get jobs in fast-food, etc. So I need to do a lot of thinking and planning if I'm going to make this work. Again, thank you.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I dont think that it you will have to pay so much money.Try to search to local stores which have stocks and i bet that you are going to find what you like in a logic price.

Let us know how it goes. Wink

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

And if it seems too good to be true, it probably is... Very Happy

You need a better video card as everyone has said, running your machine with that old MX card is like driving your new car with a flat tire.

crosscheck9 Guest

Well guys, me again - I wanted to ask a question before considering the upgrade - The NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 that I have, has 128MB of RAM, and so does the one I was referred to. I asked around, and I was told that the type of VGA card doesn't really matter, whether it is MX 4000, or FX 5700, however I don't trust people more than I do on this forum, because so far, I've never been let down. Now, does the fact that one is MX 4000, and one is FX 5700 really make a difference. Thanks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I don't really know much about it but have a look at this link

Hope it helps Wink

crosscheck9 Guest

Well, the Geforce FX 5700 looks like it would handle the sim very well, however, I can't see any product of the GeForce MX series. Does that mean it's not even worth trying?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

If it is not on there it might mean that it isn't good enough Sad Could be wrong though Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thay are not the same my friend...They have totally different chipsets and even though they have the same memory the usage of it is totally different and of course the speed that they proccess the data.

I dont want to load you with a lot of technical specifics.Have a look at this
http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html and do your comparisons.

Let us know your thoughts. Wink

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Thay are not the same my friend...They have totally different chipsets and even though they have the same memory the usage of it is totally different and of course the speed that they proccess the data.

Yes, the memory has little to do with it. It's the Video Processing Unit that is what determines performance and quality.

crosscheck9 Guest

Well, again, I see little difference in the capability of the processors in both cards. in the GeForce MX 4000, there are 400MHZ, and in the GeForce FX 5700, there are 425 MHZ. Now, I'm no computer whiz, but I don't think 20 MHZ, is going to drastically improve the quality of the sim's performance. I see however, that many people have been recommending this, so I'm assuming that it has something else to do with it. I'm sorry for being a pain, it's just that I want to know what exactly I'm paying for Wink Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

They are not even close.

The MX is a low grade GeForce 4 variant. The FX is a upper mid-grade GeForce 5 variant.

Big Big difference in performance.

Here's a good comparison

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks for your replies everyone. I think I might go with that video card. I'm going to look in the local stores, to search for best prices, etc. I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thanks everyone.

The FX5700 is much superior to the MX4000. The FX5900 is even better for only a modest amount more money.

I assume your video card is an AGP version. You might want to check your system bios to make sure you have AGP 8X enabled ... many system boards have a default setting of AGP 2X. Also, before you dump the MX4000, update the drivers while you shop around for your new card. The nVidia 7776 drivers are much better than the ones that came supplied with your MX.

crosscheck9 Guest

Well, not much news with which I can update you. In the area where I live, there is not one NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 for sale. They have other models, but money is an issue right now. My father is in DFW now on some business, and then he'll be going to Orlando to visit one of my brothers, so he'll take a look over there, and see if there are any decent prices. I don't want to buy it from the internet for quality purposes. I can always go back to the store and return it if I experince problems, and I won't be held responsible. I'll let you know what happens.

crosscheck9 Guest

Well, my father made it to DFW, and soon enough, he got bored of staying at home and decided to go out and walk around, see the city about while my brother was at work. He walked into an electronics store, to see if they had any decent VGA cards, and he found the following two -

Nvidia gefore FX 5500 and Radeon 9550 AP 9550

The 5500's price seems adequate, but would it handle the sim well? I'm not sure - I know I was reffered to the 5700, and I'm guessing this is a little lower class. The Radeon's price is a little on the hefty side, however, if it is known that it will perform much better than the NVIDIA 5500/5700, we might consider it. Thanks for all of your help.

crosscheck9 Guest

ME AGAIN!! Wow - it felt weird digging up an old post, but hey, I need to keep you all updated. I just talked to my father in DFW. He should be arriving back in DMM on Thursday. He told me that the only choice of VGA cards he could find was in the Radeon X850 Range. I assume thats a VERY good card, because it's VERY expensive. I'd love to know if it would handle the sim as fast as possible, because if not, I need to tell him to return it. I hope it's a good buy. My dad said that the range I was asking for was not avaliable. Anyways, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Thanks for all of your help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Buddy, you've gotten yourself a treasure...what you have is better than the video card I've got in my beast. Yes, It'll be very very godly

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks alot FEM - I feel majestic Very Happy - I'm sure this should solve my lagging problems - I can't wait to kick it into gear!!! Woohoo!! I love my dad even more - I'm sure it was a strain on his wallet, but the fact that he went through with it says alot. Thanks for all of the help and advice guys. I'll let you know how the sim performs when the VGA card is finally in the CPU.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Woooow...!!!!!im happy for you crosscheck....Enjoy your flights...Excellent VGA....Much much better from my proposal... Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks Greekman - Just the reply I was looking for Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

crosscheck9 Guest

Wow, to be honest, I couldn't have done this without you all. All of your advice really helped. It just shows how much high-class this website actually is. I started off not knowing anything, and now, I seem to have an understanding of how different things work in the CPU. To be honest, I felt it was a strain on my father, with him having to pay soo much money, but I beleive it's a good investment that should last for many years to come, and I owe alot of my fortune to your advice and knowledge. In case I didn't get my point across clearly, Thank you all very much Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You diserve your father spends more for a child like you my friend...and i have to tell you something...You dont have to thank anyone for anything...You are the one who has the abillity to accept the knowledge and this is the most important...And with you we all have search and learn things...So i have to thank you for giving us this chance.... Wink

crosscheck9 Guest

Kind words from a Very kind Gentleman Greekman. As always, I always appreciate your help, and acknowledge your constant respect and kindness to others, no matter who they are, or how they treat you. This forum needs more of you. Everytime you demonstrate your good manners, someone out there will recognize what you have done, and take it upon themselves to practice such behavior. Way ta' go, my friend. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thanks a lot crosscheck Embarassed