Established on the localizer and Transition Altitude

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

What are these? It says when i fly IFR 'untill established on the localizer' what does this mean?

Also when im going about 18000ft (i think) it says transition altitude reached. Bare in mind im flying with FS passanger, and its the co pilot that says that to me!

Can anyone help me here

thanks

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

1) 'Until established on the localizer' means exactly that. Keep flying towards the designated airport with the NAV radios tuned to the ILS frequency until you hear the morse code identifier. For example, if you are approaching runway 9R at London Heathrow (EGLL) you should have the NAV1 radio tuned to 109.50 (I think) and the NAV/GPS switch on NAV so you can see the glideslope indicator appear. Oncve you hear the morse code identifier and you see the glideslope indicator, you are established on the localizer

2) Transition altitude is the altitude at which you change the atmospheric pressure reading to 29.92 so all aircraft are using the same measure for altitude.

😉

crosscheck9 Guest

1 - Established on the localizer, means that you are at localizer level flight, and the glidelope markers have come alive on your display.

2 - Transition Altitude, which is FL180, is when the pilot is required to alter his barometric pressure to show 29.92. This is so that all aircraft flying at FL will be able to relate their altitudes, and deduce how close they actually are together. I hope that makes sense. Maybe someone else will come along and explain it a little differently.

Pro Member Chief Captain

This will answer your second question better than I have answered it, read Bindolaf's post:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8090/altimeter-2992/

😉

crosscheck9 Guest

Sorry 99jolegg - your explanation was alot clearer than mine. You beat me to clickin submit 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

Sorry 99jolegg - your explanation was alot clearer than mine. You beat me to clickin submit 😂

😂 No problem, always happens to me 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...