SearchSearch 

please help im new, i have fs 2004 cof

flying_flying Guest

Ok i have microsoft fs 98 and thought it was great so i bought fs 2004 cof and my computer obviously wont run it because i have not bought extra memory or a card or anything. ive read as many post on here and browsed around as much as i could to figure out what i need to do to get this thing going. Here is the most i can tell you about my computer.

Compaq
Presario
AuthenticAMD
AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
64.0MB RAM

i got all that from right clicking on my computer then go to properties
now when i click on device manager and then display adapters i get this...

RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X (english)

That is my card im using now i assume, I read on another post that you guys can help if u have all the computer info. im hope'n that it is enough info that someone can help me and tell me what i have to do to get my fs 2004 running so it doesn't look like a slide show. if there is any info at all that is not on here that u need to know, tell me exactly how to get the info and ill tell u more. Im not sure if im supposed to buy more memory or a new card or both and if i am to buy something, what exactly should i be looking at to buy. of course i want to save some money and not go all out on this. please help in any way at all, any info is accepted.

ps. im sorry if this is not in the correct forum topic. i wasn't sure where to post. thanks again.

31 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well as a first view i have to tell you that you are low on memory.In order your system to runs FS9 needs at least 512Mb ram and for better results 1024Mb.

Without being an expert i think that your VGA its an on board card so you need to get a VGA card.This is a point that needs some searching and it depends on your budget.There are o lot of choices and manufactures you can search on.

The conclusion ,in my opinion, is that you have(unfortunatly)to spend some cash in order to run FS9.

You can help us better if you place your PC model in order to search it and see some more specs of it.

Tell us your thoughts and if you are in the mode to spend some money and im sure that there are more experts than me that will share their knowledges in order to give you a solution. 😉

flying_flying Guest

thanks for the reply, i knew that i would have to buy some stuff to get it running because i have not played any kind of 3D type of games or anything till now. ill do some more searching to see how much this is gonna cost me. im hope'n that it is just a few hundred bucks and doesn't get expensive. would u recomend that i buy a vga and just do small custom install and run the fs off of the disk, or should i buy the memory and when i get extra money then buy a card. also i have 1 last question. i also fly r/c model airplanes and there is a good fs called real flight so u can train. my question is once i buy this memory and card and stuff will i be able to play both of these games or will that take up all the memory for just one.

ok i think my model is a compaq presario 5200 series. i found this guide book with that on it. So I did some google'ing for that and I havent found anything where u can upgrade 1GB of memory. how does that work? sorry im computer iliterit, lol Embarassed . but like i said tho, this is the first time i have even looked into 3D pc games. any more help would be awesome.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

These are your model specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00047874#N10041

And these are your motherboards specs and the topologic scheme:

specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00047874#N10041

topologic:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00006476#doc

As i can see you have 512Mb of ram so its enough(not for great results)in order to run FS.
Try to upgrade it to 1024 and get a VGA card cause you have an integrated VGA with low memory(64Mb)You need a VGA with at least 128Mb ram.

As i can see in your motherboard you have AGP slots for the VGA and two slots for memory usage.So if you get another 512Mb it ll be ok.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if this helps you find out how much memory you can have.
http://www.memoryx.net/copr52seme.html

Right click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and then click on "properties", it'll tell you there about your computer, tell us what it says.

I have the feeling that your computer and CPU is quite old and won't be worth spending $ on to upgrade.
If the CPU is low (below 1.5 gig) then it'll have to be replaced along with the mother-board. Then you get into more ram and a new card, power supply etc.

Load the sim, try it out, if it looks bad lower the slides in settings below the default and try to fly again. It'll be trial and error.

Clouds, shadows, traffic they use up memory fast.

Let us know how you do.

Radar

😂 Greekman you type to fast!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

If i havent make a mistake and i did find the right model the specs sais that it has a AMD Athlon(T) XP 2600+ 2.08 GHz. So i think that there is no problem with that.

Of course maybe i have find a wrong model... Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Im slower than a donkey Horse RadarMan...Believe me... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

Greekman72 wrote:

Im slower than a donkey Horse RadarMan...Believe me... 😉

One of those 135 words-per-minute dokeys, lol!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

🙂) 🙂) 🙂)

flying_flying Guest

ok thanks alot for all of your help. so u think i should get a 512MB memory and a 128 card. i will look some of this stuff up. is there any way to tell exactly what my computer model is besides this guide i got. when i right click on my computer and go to properties it doesn't say much, just what i have wrote.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Just tell us if the model is the right.It must been written somewhere in the case.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Download, run this and let us know what it tells you.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Excellent 👏 programm RadarMan.

Thanks also a lot.

flying_flying Guest

ok its 5222. thats the model. im a total *** it was right on front of my tower. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed im sorry guys its been a long week for me as it is. you guys can look that up and that is what ill need. ty so much for putting up with me lol.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Its ok. Download and run this perfect RadarMans programm and tell us the results and we will help you. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
flying_flying Guest

ive done some surfing and i see that all the memory u can get for this is 128MB's, and it says that is the max or something. this is the url im at now... http://www.memory-up.com/Memory_Finders/Compaq-Memory-Compaq-Presario-5222-Memory.html Let me know your thoughts and any other comments. Do i buy 2-3 of these to make the memory 1GB?

flying_flying Guest

yes win 98

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

New specs.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00013249&lc=en

And according to this and to your OS things getting difficult....I think that RadarMan has right.No worth to upgrade ram or VGA.It seems to need more...

flying_flying Guest

yup thats sounds better, i didn't like the software that came with it. i deleted almost all of it. my parents got me this a long time ago when i was in school. i wanna play my fs!!! do u think i should just get a vga card and then if its still lagging get the memory?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Good find Greekman, that's what I was getting at, the card was too low for a late model computer, it had to be older. 384 mb seems to be all it can handle, very low, it'll do it but not to your satisfaction. A low CPU also,

Don't run out and buy more memory until we know if your computer board can handle it.
Just run Belac and give us the results.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

flying_flying wrote:

yup thats sounds better, i didn't like the software that came with it. i deleted almost all of it. my parents got me this a long time ago when i was in school. i wanna play my fs!!! do u think i should just get a vga card and then if its still lagging get the memory?

Yes you can get a better card, max out the memory (384mb), set the sliders in setting to low and it should fly, the scenery will be almost non existent but you can fly.

Run belarc and see if you have an AGP socket for a decent card.

Radar

flying_flying Guest

ok 1 sec

flying_flying Guest

Operating System
Windows 98

System Model
Compaq Compaq PC
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower

Processor
379 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board
Board: Compaq 04B0h
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Compaq 686A1 11/11/98

Drives

8.44 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
4.49 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

COMPAQ CRD-8322B [CD-ROM drive]
COMPAQ LS-120 COSM 05 (3.5") [Floppy drive]

Generic IDE hard disk drive (8.44 GB) -- drive 0, No SMART Driver

Memory Modules c,d
64 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' is Empty
Slot '1' is Empty
Slot '2' has 64 MB

Network Drives
None detected

Controllers Display
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X (English) [Display adapter]
Bus Adapters Multimedia
VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller ES1869 Control Interface
ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive
Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)

Communications
Other Devices
Enumerator

i hope this helps lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It helps big time.

As you see your at or below the minimum requirements for running the sim. You can upgrade the ram with another 256mb and get a better video card but the CPU is low as is the hard drive.
If you want to spend a few hundred just to run it you can, barely. Truthfully as bad as the new computers at $299.00 are (Dell) They would do a better job with added memory, their video card is pure junk (integrated) build into the board.
Load it, try it, if it will run, I doubt it with 64mb and that card.
We are always upgrading our machines to the point that they are "super computers", MS builds the sim to take a stronger machine then is available, we just try to keep up with it.
It's a very graphic intensive piece of software.

The next move is yours. Let us know what you do.
Memory http://www.crucial.com/
Video card and parts http://www.newegg.com/

System Requirements
Windows PC
2000/XP – 128 MB Ram
98/Me – 64 MB Ram
Processor:450 MHz minimum
Available hard drive space:1.8 GB
DirectX 9 or later (included with Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Flight)
Video card: 8 MB/3D with DirectX 7.0 or later drivers
Other: mouse, joystick/yoke, sound card, speakers/headphones
Online/multiplayer: 56.6 kbps modem or LAN
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/productinfo.asp

Good luck 👍

Radar

flying_flying Guest

thanks ill let ya know what happens

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

It helps us a lot but it seems that your system cant help you of running FS9 my friend Crying or Very sad .Its an old system and it isnt so much upgradable in order to cover FS needs.

My personal opinion is that if i was in your position i would start looking to build an new PC.This is not a mater only for running FS.You will face up also if you want to play some other games.

Wait for more respnoces than mine cause i told you that im not an expert as for example RadarMan or more others here.

Anyway if you start to think to built a new system we all remain in your disposal. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well who is typing fast now??? 😉 😉 😉

While i was writing my poor post RadarMan has cover all the points.And i totally agrie with him.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Well who is typing fast now??? 😉 😉 😉

While i was writing my poor post RadarMan has cover all the points.And i totally agrie with him.

😁 Ha! I had a lot to write, I only use two fingers how much less can you be using.

Radar

flying_flying Guest

thanks u guys are great help, im going to do what i can i guess. if i can get the thing running i will be happy. im not to worried about the graphics and senery i guess. altho that would be nice to have it all. ill see what i can come up with and get back to u later. thanks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

👏 Congratulations....

I can use only my nose.... 😉 😉 😉 ... Liar

😀