Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

runway slope

Pro Member Trainee
CP16 Trainee

Hi
what´s runway slope? 😳
and what is the difference between magnetic course,heading, and track..
thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Runway Slope...I believe you're mistaking that for Glide Slope. It's a path an airplane follows using ILS or other landing sytems to get to the runway. There's a bunch of guides in a sticky on the top of this page...second one is mine, and the one I reccomend you read... 😂

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Unless you mean that runways are sloped. Most are indeed.

Your heading is the way your airplane is pointed. If you're flying due north, your heading is 000 (or 360). If you next turn left 30 degrees, your heading is 30 degrees. If you're flying due east it's 90 degrees etc.

As for radial, course, track, read a tutorial and try to understand the difference between a course (you can head two ways or tracks on it) and heading. Try to distinguish inbound and outbound (for example, how you can be on the 140 radial inbound to a VOR but your heading is 320 and still you're correct).

Pro Member Trainee
CP16 Trainee

and where can I find that tutorial?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CP16 wrote:

and where can I find that tutorial?

I believe FEM means this one.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
CP16 Trainee

rgr thanks 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

Actually runway slope is the degrees up or down the runway sits on the ground. Runways aren't flat as most of them have an up or down slope across the ground.

Don Wood Guest

And glide slope means the angle or path along which you descend toward a runway once established on final. You fly a glide slope whether you are flying IFR or not. On an IFR approach, the glide slope is pre-defined. On a non-IFR approach, the glide slope is anything the pilot wants it to be so long as it results in reaching the approach end of the runway at the correct altitude for touch down.

Most IFR glide-slopes are about 3 degrees, however, because of terrain or other obstructions they may be slightly greater or less than that.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

2.83 degrees for those of you with a protractor...