Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

computer problems

Toddob Guest

hi i have a compaq preario with 256mb ram and no apg card. i play flight sim for about 10-15 mins and then the whole computer stops resonding completely. i have set the graphics below the level it was at when i installed the game. i would be a really good help if anybody knew about what i should do.

thanks, Todd

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I'm sorry to have to break this news to you, but this is your computer

Consider upgrading, because it's not gonna get any better for you...you have to have a video card to run the simulation.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

My computer is about to become a boat anchor, but with 256MEG of RAM and your video card I'm surprised it runs at all.

When I originally installed Fs2004 it would play, but with every thing turned down to minimum I could only get at best 10 FPS and even less most of the time. The game was very jerky and hard to control.

There isn't much you can do but do a serious upgrade or get a better computer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Open your computer case, clean all the dust out of the fans and especially the heatsink fan.
Buy (very cheap) an extra case fan and put it on the grid in the back of the case to take out the hot air.
Use this program.
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=speedup_152206.zip&CatID=fs2004util&Go=Search&Cookie=1

Buy more ram.
Get a good, not overly expensive video card.

Let us know how your doing.

Radar

toddob Guest

thanks for the idea on memory upgrade. i am gona do that. but one more thing i played teh game on a 128 mb ram and it was jumpy but it did not make the computer stop reasponding like id does on my 256mb ram. also what do you think on agp cards

thanks alot
todd

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you have an AGP socket by all means get a good video card for it.
Let us know what you have chosen, some aren't worth the $ or the time to buy them.

Example. I have a 9800 pro, it's older but does the job well, yes there are many better.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

toddob wrote:

thanks for the idea on memory upgrade. i am gona do that. but one more thing i played teh game on a 128 mb ram and it was jumpy but it did not make the computer stop reasponding like id does on my 256mb ram. also what do you think on agp cards

thanks alot
todd

It isn't how much memory you have it is how much is available. In the computer with the 128MEG it must not have had much else running. 512 us just about minimum for decent performance.

The card Radarman suggested is a good card, I have the 9200 and it works well for me. I would buy the 9800 if you can afford it and the 9200 if you are on a budget although there may not be that much difference between them price wise.

Pro Member Trainee
tubeamp Trainee

I bought a second PC about 8 months like yours I think. Compaq "sr1123wm" .... it came with 256 MB of DDRram which filled one slot and had a extra slot for more Memory. My first PC had 128 MB of ram and I know what you are talking about.
Go with a gig of DDRmemory at "Cruial.com" for about $85 and put that in your empty slot. This will make all the difference in the world!!! That was the first thing I did to my new pc and now have 1256MB of ram. My consider buying anothe Gig and pull the 256MB stick and replace it for 2gigs of ram. But now I really don't need it as 2004 plays Great. About your card, they are integrated somehow but have improved a lot!!! I have "Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller" that is working Great now that came with the PC. I am still shopping for standalone but Like I said I am amazed at the present performance!! Try the Cheap memory upgrade first then see what else you may need.