1st Flight on FS 2004 KEYW to KFLL

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Hi Everyone -

I am new to any FS. I loaded FS2004 did an update, registered and downloaded some planes here.

I love the Beechcraft Starship! I taxied and took off afternoon from Key West and headed to Ft. Lauderdale Intl. Flight Plan and GPS at 19000 Ft. Short hop so wanted to get a feel for the plane.

The plane handles very well and autopilot is nice. (Had to grab a Beer from Fridge down stairs a few times).....anyway came into runway 9L and was cleared to land when I extended Approach flaps then seconds later full flaps and landing lights ... touched down at about 130kts. I guess a little too hard/fast on the nose gear I bounced on inital contact and tried to bring her down a little softer/slower a few hundred feet later and the nose gear broke 😂

Oh well I slid to a stop and looks like it's repairable on the next trip.

😀

AstroSteve

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Great job 👍 , especially for the first time. I have the feeling your hooked already.

You bounced because you came at a steep angle. I think, I'm only a tail-dragger.
The big kids will tell you.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

It sounds like you didn't flare out before touch down. You never want to land on the nose gear first, flare out so the main gear touches down first then let the nose drop slowly until it touches.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

That is a lot better than I did in my first flight. (Flight Simulator 1.0) 😳

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

That is a lot better than I did in my first flight. (Flight Simulator 1.0) 😳

My first experience with a flight simulator (if you can call it that) was on a TI-99A. There were no graphics, I never did figure that one out.LOL

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Actually, now that I think about it, the first one I had was Bruce Artwick's for the Commodore 64. Oh do I feel old. 😞

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, the first one I had was Bruce Artwick's for the Commodore 64. Oh do I feel old. 😞

We need to take a break.LOL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Welcome aboard asrtosteve.
First flight??? 👍 👍 👍 Very very good job and much much better than the first of mine.... Wall Bashing

crosscheck9 Guest

If this was your first flight, I assume you did a quite large amount of studying before getting into your aircraft, because that was better than any flight I could do with the Beechcraft Embarassed . I'm more of a heavy flier. I'll take anything from a 727 and above, including airbus aircraft. I do occasionaly take the cessna for some practice though. (Whow, drifted off topic there 😕 ). Anyways, congratulations on your first simulated flight. I'm sure there will be more to come, and your bound to arrive at a few complications on your way to the top, and so everyone's here to help you. Welcome to the rising and prosperous FS community Group Wave

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Astrosteve, you did a great first flight! Congratulations!

Maybe, the reason why the nose 👍

Pro Member Trainee
Alex (Littleal100) Trainee

Good job....
aloso if the plane is a taildrager it will tend to bounce up 😎

tubeamp Guest

Must have been the Beers !!! My old buddy who Flew for TWA for 20 years said that was common practice in the 60's and early 70's. He remembers one flight from Las Vegas to Boston the whole crew was under the influence and a perfect flight !!! Ah the Good ole Days ..LOL
I have never spent $30 for a game such as this one (2004) .. never had a Fl sim period. I bought it 2 weeks ago and have been on it every since. Just now getting into Jets!! Still finding out neat things about the game, were you can change resolution just on the Game and not your entire PC like I was doing!!! Found the Ultra Resolution switch which has made it Fantastic (have Compaq SR1123,80 gig HD, I added a gig of DDR memory now have 1256 MB of ram, Intel intergreated video card that really surprises me, wow when I punched that button it became a whole new Game!!!!! Thinking of buying a standalone Graphics card if it would make better but don't really see how it could but I am Newbie at this (2 weeks) and Love this Forum !!!! You guys on here are Great!!!! Thanks for reading my book !!!
I fell in Love with Flying as a kid living near USAFB back in the F104 days. In the 80's I worked in Colorado and we were flown to work in the Rockies in Cessna 210's(oil&gas drilling) We would work 12 hour shift for 5 days in a row. Every 12 hours I was getting a Cessna 210... I LOVED IT !!! Once the cold weather hit we would drive again and hire a 3rd crew and work 8 hours and the drive was 3 hours at least to get home. Wish they had put a 210 on the game. I use the Caravan which we used a few few times, powerful plane and can land anywhere. I can go to Walker Field in Grand Junction, Co right now and Fly our old routes and still find some of the muddy runways we used in the mountains!!!I tried learning as much as possible in Colorado, never got used to that Stall Signal ... ha-ha

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

tubeamp,

You said "must have been the beers!"

There may be something to it bro. I went on a vacation recently and didn't fly FS for over a week and came back and had trouble on the line up at approach which is something that I had down pretty much pat. A little time off and I was the one that was off. No wonder real-world pilots have to say current and fresh in order to be proficient and effective. Also, the beer issue will indeed deaden the sharpness of the situational senses and cause big problems!! ..Not to say that one should not have 100% fun while enjoying the sim. --Keep on flyin' bro.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...