0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neither
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]

Total Votes : 14

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Please try to specify why you chose VATSIM,IVAO,Both or Neither.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I chose "Neither" because I don't fly online. I wanna try it sometime, though.

Pro Member Captain

If you ever need help to get flying online just ask and i'll gladly help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

With FsP, i have no need to fly with anyone else...being that there's a couple hundred people sitting behind me anyway 😉

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

I fly on VATSIM. I know alot of other people who do IFR on VATSIM, I do VFR on VATSIM. They call me a rebell. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

SamIntel wrote:

I fly on VATSIM. I know alot of other people who do IFR on VATSIM, I do VFR on VATSIM. They call me a rebell. 😂

I joined VATSIM, but I couldn't figure out how it worked 😳

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Chris102 wrote:

SamIntel wrote:

That's what I thought when I first started too. If you read the tutorials that VATSIM has they are much too complicated, all you need is something called "SquawkBox 3". It enables you to conect to the VATSIM server and fly online. Download it here:
http://squawkbox.ca/downloads/

After you install it you can connect to VATSIM by starting a flight on FS, the weather settings you put in won't matter because once you conect to the VATSIM server they will change the weather for you. Start your flight at the gate or on the ramp someware, then when you're ready to connect hit Alt and go to Moduals-SquawkBox. You will need to be a member of VATSIM, you put your ID and password in, then click conect. Then your on! 🙂 It's pretty easy to figure out from there.
If it's your first time on VATSIM I would suggest starting out flying the pattern at KSMO, there is a real pilot that works the tower there and he welcoms all newbis. He is usually on around 6:00 PM Pacific Time.
To see all the people and controlers that are on line download this utility:
http://hangar.avsim.net/utils/servinfo/home.htm

It may sound a little difficult at first, but it's not. It's really fun. 😀 😀

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Hey SamIntel, I actually just had my first VFR flight on VATSIM the other day! I've flown so many hours with United and ATA on the network, that I never "stopped to smell the roses." I loaded up ActiveSky V and headedup to PANC, flew a short hop up the river to AQY (the patched version, in my opinion much better than the original "challenge") and had a lovely chat with a 35 year old retired GA pilot as my controller!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

I chose "Neither" because I don't fly online. I wanna try it sometime, though.

Same for me. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Chris102 wrote:

SamIntel wrote:

Amen! I thought I was the only one. Embarassed

Pro Member Captain

My VA was actually just having this discussion about how NOT user-friendly VATSIM and VATUSA websites are. Those of us on VATSIM here at fly-away should put our heads together and come up with the simplest, most boiled down method for getting on line!

When you get down to the basics it's really not that hard, especially since they use SquawkBox3. All you need is to run that ONE program and you're on their network and able to talk to ATC! It only gets complicated when the traffic gets heavy, and you have to start getting very familiar with all of the real-world procedures and charts. Thankfully, the network is so big there's always somewhere that's light on traffic and perfect for a beginner!

I participate in plenty of "Fly-ins" on the network, I'd love to see FlyAway have their own! (although coordinating that across continents like we would have to would be tough Wink )

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Well, I fly on VATSIM for reasons that I will not mention here. I can't fly on both networks, I don't think I have the time.

Getting online is so simple, it's not even funny. Finding other people online can take some doing, but there are a lot of controllers online during peak hours usually and other flights. Fly-ins and events are the best though!

For one (and pardon me SB users), I use FSINN. Two small (but really important) reasons: 1) FSINN supports weather! Yep, SB=no rain. 2) FSINN handles traffic better. With SB more than 2-3 planes means horribly choppy graphics and disconnections.

For another, you install the program, fire FS2004 up, start the FSINN module and that's that! Now, if you're worried about rules and regulations, don't worry! You'll find out over time.

Sit at an airport and listen for a bit, see how it goes. After that, choose an airport that has ATC but is not horribly busy (don't go straight to Atlanta) and fly around VFR let's say, asking the controller for some help. Include "new pilot, need help" in your Flight Plan's remarks section.

Finally, ask! Online, here, other forums 🙂

If you don't fly online, you don't know what you're missing

Pro Member Captain

Chris102 wrote:

All the documentation on the VATSIM server is a bit much. In the end all it says is that you must know your plane,sids,stars, file a flight plan before logging on [I file my flight plan with Squawk box as I'm sitting on the apron], know the ATC phraseology [Just write down the instructions and read them back with your call sign at the end (e.g Virgin 584)] and obey the rules [basically don't chat and annoy other online pilots].

There is one problem about flying online. That is that you don't always know whether there are other airtraffic controllers [the ATC is why I fly online] and pilots online where you want to fly. So to check how many are airtraffic controllers and pilots are online you need to have Servi info. It can be found here: http://hangar.avsim.net/utils/servinfo/home.htm

Bindolaf said:

If you don't fly online, you don't know what you're missing

I couldn't agree more.

Anyway I flying online is great fun compared to flying the fltsim with no real people watching and judging you as you fly. Another thing that makes flying online fun is FS Passengers.

I'm busy gearing up for 1st VATUSA convention and I hope you are or will be doing so to. It will be interesting to fly with you guys.The reason why these conventions are fun is beacuse most of [or all of] the route is controlled by controllers and their are many aircraft to fly next on the way.

To Check out the convention just click on the link below.
http://www.vatusaconvention.com/

Ok, I'm pretty sure you guys are begging to get my message.The message is : Flying online is simply awsome .

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

A footnote:

Yes. It's nice to know your flight plan, have SID/STARs for your departure, arrival AND alternate (as well as a few inbetween). It's nice to have the enroute charts, to interact with the controller like a real pilot would with all the readbacks.

Intimidated?

DON'T BE!

If you don't know something, if you can't execute an ATC command, if you don't have a chart, if you can't read one, just ask for ATC help! No one is going to decline (provided it's not like Dulles at peak time).

Example:

Approach: "SX-BBD fly published ABCDE arrival, expect 5000 by IXNET, local QNH 2994"
SX-BBD: "Approach, new pilot, no charts, please need some help with my approach"
Approach: "SX-BBD roger, expect vectors for ILS approach runway XX. Maintain present altitude and expect descent in 5. Please read back callsign after all communications"

See? You learn a little bit, get all the help you need and next time you're a little better prepared. It's all about having FUN!

Pro Member Captain

Bindolaf wrote:

With SB more than 2-3 planes means horribly choppy graphics and disconnections.

You must be running an old SBox then, because I usually fly with 8 planes on fly-ins for ATA with no FPS hit, and It's even held up under the mighty UVA flyins, where sometimes over 20 planes can be flying in your traffic patterns!

When SB3 was released, there was a graphics problem that resulted in the poor framerates, but that was cleared up in about a week with an update.

P.S. You can definitly fly with rain, just uncheck the box in the SB options window that lets it handle the weather Wink. Plus I use ASV (which everyone should, it's amazing =), which works hand in hand with SB3 on weather issues.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Where can I found enroute charts? I've been searching for them a while ago and it was hard to find them.

Do I really need enroute charts even if I know my flight plan?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

As for SB3, I guess they fixed everything, but by that time I got used to FSINN. Plus, I don't have to have that task bar on my flight screen all the time. It's good to know that they worked on it though.

As for enroute charts. You know your flight plan. How are you going to follow it without the charts? Unless you fly the whole flight via FMC or RNAV or straight-GPS. You need the charts to know which radials to follow, which intersection to switch at, which airways etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain

But if I put all the waypoints into my MCDU, then I let the autopilot fly my airplane and it will turn if I need to. All by itself...Then, why do I need to have an enroute chart. I know it's realistic, but I can take a look at my flight plan by scrolling through all the waypoints using the MCDU and the ND (Navigation Display).

Pro Member Chief Captain

I've got another question... actually two. 🙄

1. How does VATSIM or IVAO act when flying a NAT?

2. I've found some Europe Enroute charts (payware...but cheap). Where can I found Enroute charts that include the north atlantic? Now I'm going to try to find some US Enroute charts, which I think they are easy to find...

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

They have loads of free charts here:
http://www.myairplane.com/

Pro Member Captain

If it's European waypoints you are looking for here's a link that will give many waypoints for Europe.

Standard routes for Europe
http://www.vatsim-uk.org/Pilots/eurstand.asp

Standard routes for the UK
http://www.vatsim-uk.org/airac-routing/body.asp

Pro Member Captain

Enroute charts are not necessary with VATSIM, although I would love to use them! What do become necessary (over time) are the SID, STAR, approach, and ground charts, all of which are available through www.myairplane.com and sites like that. Although you can still just say to ATC "I have no charts" or something like that and they can talk you down, but you'll find that they come in handy very quickly =).

But yes, very rarely do they ask you to make diversions while en route, especially if you use their preferred routes, so don't worry about needing those to fly.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ok, thank you so much for the information, guys.

I mostly fly inside Europe or to South America, but I'm going to start flying to the US again. Finding American charts is not hard, but finding European charts is so hard. Especially the airports diagram charts, in which I will need them if I fly online...

BTW, I left you a PM, JVD.

Pro Member First Officer
lds_soldier First Officer

Neither one.

I fly on Elite (fsef.hopto.org) and VirtualATC (VirtualATC.net)

golfwhiskey Guest

Hi Guys charts for all UK airfields can be found at www.ais.org.uk
enjoy

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

I don't fly online a lot. When I do I do it with MSN Zone. The one bad thing about them is that its hard to find good people to fly with. Some of them just goof off. But most of the time I find people that I enjoy to fly with and contiinue to fly with them.