Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FS Passengers, great, but a couple of Q's!!

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Hi Guys,

Well after arriving back off holiday, (thanks to Monarch Airways, flying me safely through a severe storm), i have downloaded and tried the demo of FS Passengers.

BRILLIANT! 😀

However, i have a question. I sometimes have very little time to fly Crying or Very sad and want to do short flights but still desire to use FS Passengers.
Can it be set to use on short flights? ❓

I ask this as i only have the demo and didn't fly the full distance but landed at a far nearer airport which then resulted in me getting complaints from the passengers about the duration of my flight!! 😕

On a side issue, it has already taught me things that the standard fs9 didn't.

Cheers

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Yeah you can use it for any flight you make. Just be sure to keep them buckled, and don't serve food/drinks unless you have time.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

Ya and taking the passengers to the right airport helps. I had set up to go to KLAX from KSFO but changed my mind and flew to SETAC and the passengers were spitting on me as they were leaving...

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I do almost all short flights, 20 min to an hour. Once in a while, I'll do longer, as in an overnight a couple days ago for 4 and a half hours. Of course I was sleeping. I think it looks for a minimum miles, like 50-60. I don't like the long ones, as there is nothing to do. I look at it as that it is all about the landing and take off and a little looking out the window at the scenery.

Have fun!

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

im glad you can do the shorter flights with it and will get my unlock code first thing in the morning.
One other question, when you tell FSPassengers where you are going, do you have to use all of the correct airport codes such as KLAX, or can you input airport names, as i dont know all of the codes.

cheers

micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I'm new to FSP so take anything I say with a grain of salt

I get around the problem by having gone to a site (don't remember which) that has the airport codes by state, country, etc., and printing them out. I suppose I could download the addon that allows me to surf the web while flying via the knee pad, and look them up on the fly (no pun intended).

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

You have to use 3 or 4 letter airport codes, the name of the airport is auto-generated by the program. If you don't know airport codes, just file a VFR or IFR flight plan; you'll be able to get the codes from there or from your GPS.
As my fellow simmers already said, you can do short flights, but if you set the duration of your flight I think 15 minutes is the shortest time FSP allows.
It's a good thing to set flight time, as you get bonus points for arriving at the scheduled time.

Go ahead and buy it, it's a great add-on.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

which site do i use to get the correct airport codes? I just went to one which gave me the code for Gatwick as LGW, but im sure that when i "fly", it is always a 4 letter code for Gatwick.

Thanks again!!

The resident pain in the Censored

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

which site do i use to get the correct airport codes? I just went to one which gave me the code for Gatwick as LGW, but im sure that when i "fly", it is always a 4 letter code for Gatwick

FS Passengers [/b]allows 3 or 4 letter airport codes, so you'll be ok with that

Pro Member Chief Captain

I don't think I've seen "country codes" (i.e., "k" in front of the airport codes except in FS.

Note the sign in front of LAX doesn say KLAX. Guess it is another case of MS not sticking with standards.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I don't think I've seen "country codes" (i.e., "k" in front of the airport codes except in FS.

Note the sign in front of LAX doesn say KLAX. Guess it is another case of MS not sticking with standards.

Just enter the airport name at the top.

http://worldaerodata.com/

Or.
http://www.fact-index.com/l/li/list_of_airports__a.html

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

In answer to Micah's original question about short flights, I just did this one.

Flight OA500 End of flight report Date September 19 2005

Flight ID: OA500
Pilot: Crash Gordon
Company: OmegaAir
Aircraft: Colgan B1900C
Flight Date: September 19 2005
Departure: 10h30 (17h30 GMT)
Arrival: 11h18 (18h18 GMT)
To: KFLG
Nbr of Passengers: 15

Report:

Flight Distance: 103 Nm Landing Speed: 98.93 kt
Time Airborne: 00h42:59 Landing Touchdown: -325.38 ft/m
Flight Time (block): 00h47:41 Landing Pitch: 5.03
Time On Ground: 00h06:12 Landing Weight: 15163 lbs
Average Speed: 143.95 kt Total Fuel Used: 585 lbs
Max. Altitude: 11627ft Fuel Not Used: 2551 lbs

Passenger Opinion: Exceptional flight (100%)
-Were pleased by the music on ground. A very nice addition to their flying experience.

Financial Report:

Ticket Income: +$1,146 (103 Nm)
Cargo Income: +$52 (198 lbs)
Services Income: +$0 (0 sandwich 0 hot food 0 drink)
Services Cost: -$0 (20% quality)
Fuel Cost: -$410 (585 lbs Jet-A1)
Airport Taxes: -$20 (Small Aircraft)
Insurance Costs: -$51 (4.32% rate)
Total Real Income: $717
Total Income: $35,850 (real x50)
Fleet Bonus: $89,674 (6 aircraft)
Total Sim Income: $125,524 (total income+fleet bonus)

Company Reputation:

Considering that the flight was perfect,the tickets price low,passengers on this flight think that your company's reputation should be 100%
Your company reputation is now: 71% (+2.89 increase)

Overall Flight Result: Perfect

Pilot Bonus points: 180 points
Perfect Flight, no problems and very satisfied passengers. (+150)
You landed at the scheduled airport. (+30)

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

Just enter the airport name at the top.

http://worldaerodata.com/

Or.
http://www.fact-index.com/l/li/list_of_airports__a.html

Radar

Duh! 😳

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

Oops! Sorry for the empty post

Last edited by coolsan on Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

Actually Microsoft adheres to international standards regarding the use of airport codes. Here's a brief explanation of them...

What are the differences between the FAA, IATA, and ICAO airport codes?

*FAA codes are assigned by the Federal Aviation Administration to airports within the United States of America, including its possessions and territories. FAA codes for airports with scheduled airline operations consist of three letters. Other FAA airport codes consist of three or four alphanumeric characters.

*IATA codes contain three letters and are assigned by the International Air Transport Association to airports around the world. For US airports with an IATA code, the code is the same as the FAA code with a "K" prefix added to major airports. (However, a US airport which does not have an IATA code may have a three letter FAA code which is the same as the IATA code for a non-US airport. One such airport is CBG.) CBG is assigned to Cambridge, Minnesota, while the IATA uses the same code for Cambridge, England. To resolve this ambiguity, the IATA-listed airport is used if the latitude and longitude are not both within a few degrees of the FAA location.

*ICAO codes consist of four letters and are assigned by the International Civil Aviation Organization, also to airports worldwide

*ICAO vs IATA: Most of these codes are IATA "luggage tag" codes. The ICAO "route-planning" code is used for GPS navigation too; for the US, add a K to the start of the IATA code -- for example, KLAX is Los Angeles Intl also LAX

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

nice flight, CG, my first one didn't turn out too well as encountered a severe storm, but hey still managed to get them where they were going....and safely!!

Micah 😉

Pro Member Trainee
roger123 Trainee

Micah wrote:

im glad you can do the shorter flights with it and will get my unlock code first thing in the morning.
One other question, when you tell FSPassengers where you are going, do you have to use all of the correct airport codes such as KLAX, or can you input airport names, as i dont know all of the codes.

cheers

micah 😉

Try this link. You will find just about all that you need.
http://www.azworldairports.com/index.htm
😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Micah wrote:

nice flight, CG, my first one didn't turn out too well as encountered a severe storm, but hey still managed to get them where they were going....and safely!!

Micah 😉

To be honest, I am cheating a bit. I know the Phoenix to Flagstaff route and the terrain, so I knew where the airport was and the orientation of its runways. Heck, I used to drive by it and I had an altimeter in my truck so I knew its elevation. Yes

I have to admit that FS Passengers does make one re-think how they fly.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i agree, i have been using it for half a day now, and i have learnt a lot and improved my flying already...i just think microsoft are so lazy not to have included something like this in the first place...lazy Censored Censored Censored Censored

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

The flip side is that FS Passengers adds a certain amount of stress to something that a lot of folks do to relax. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Good point! 👍

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

more stressful, but so much more satisfying when you achieve a decent flight.

Pro Member Chief Captain

An example. This morning, I decided to take the pride of my fleet, a 737-NG from KLAX to KPHX. Take off was uneventful until BANG! my airspeed exceeded the limit for having the flaps extended. I got so mad at myself, I aborted the flight, shut down the computer and walked away from it for four hours. Surrender

Pro Member Chief Captain

Last night I made a rather Umm... awkward landing in an ERJ-140. It cost me more than 240,000 dollars to repair it.

I must learn to deal with stress. Wall Bashing

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Well, sorry to rub salt in the wound Twisted Evil , but today i made a perfect landing and perfect flight.....sooooo pleased!!
My companies reputation is slowly climbing!
Flight before though, i had a brakes failure on landing and that cost me a fortune to repair on my embraier.

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Have you noticed that we are talking less like pilots and more like business owners? 😳

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Well, as a pilot, I am up to 72 hours which allows me to get into any type of plane under 44k lbs.
Get those extra points for that kiss when you touchdown, being on time, at the correct aiport, and avoiding turbulence. for longer flights, feed them well, and fill them full of cheap booze. (they become more forgiving that way) 🍻
My wife's company, Kimmy Sue Air is at 98% customer satisfaction and earning lots of cash. I however have yet to cash a paycheck. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain

My week has been going like this. Flying from Honolulu to Los Angeles. Everything going fine. Five seconds from landing at KLAX, my firewall program displays a popup window and stealing focus from FS. Before I can grab the focus back and pause FS, its all over. The plane is skidding diagonally across the airport. Censored

I did not register that flight in FSP.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

I think it is fair enough that you didn't register that flight mate!!! Doh!

I think that we are all focussing on the business side more, but for me it is all still about the flying and if anything, fsp has made my flying a lot better and more rewarding.

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

I have on the auto-record, so it's bad sometimes...Currently i have a learjet and some GA aircraft for collecting cash with.

if anyone needs a modification of a payload model, gimme a PM, i'll do what i can see 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

You are braver than I am. Although a recent flight with two missed approaches and finally landing half way down the runway resulted in delighted passengers and 230 points for the pilot. I did record that one. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

years of practice boys 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain

My brain (or what passes for one) still balks at 2 dimensional representations of a 3 dimensional world.. Seven chances out of ten, I will come in shallow and high.