BBJ

Pro Member Trainee
Alex (Littleal100) Trainee

Does anyone know where i can download a BBJ? Question Hack

Pro Member Trainee
boomshiko Trainee

Hi there Littleal100,

I've found one link:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2931/fs2004-boeing-737-700-bbj-boeing-business-jet/

But i don't know if it is any good...And maybe someone else knows a better one, but this is all I could find..

Hope you like it!

Punk

Picasso Guest

Had a look at the SA President paint of the BBJ - the aircraft appears to have several points on the surface which are quite 'jagged' and do not reflect the real aircraft- particularly at the front of the cockpit windows and the engines certainly do not match the Boeing engine shape. The tail would appear to more angular than the real thing too. The ports/windows appear as a an irregular pattern of square shapes of different sizes while the real aircraft and even the FS9 default Boeings have a rounded effect. The two exits are square built which looks quite odd.
I am a bit doubtful of the repaint instructions- they include advise to 'paint' outside the limits of the aircraft structure which is a habit abhorred by good repainters.

The best Boeing Business Jet I have seen is that produced by the KittyHawk Studios (free) - but as they say - one man's meat is another man's poison.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

This one's very nice with a virtual cabin, but it's also very expensive.

(dead link removed)

Rick Lee Guest

Picasso wrote:

Had a look at the SA President paint of the BBJ - the aircraft appears to have several points on the surface which are quite 'jagged' and do not reflect the real aircraft- particularly at the front of the cockpit windows and the engines certainly do not match the Boeing engine shape. The tail would appear to more angular than the real thing too. The ports/windows appear as a an irregular pattern of square shapes of different sizes while the real aircraft and even the FS9 default Boeings have a rounded effect. The two exits are square built which looks quite odd.
I am a bit doubtful of the repaint instructions- they include advise to 'paint' outside the limits of the aircraft structure which is a habit abhorred by good repainters.

The best Boeing Business Jet I have seen is that produced by the KittyHawk Studios (free) - but as they say - one man's meat is another man's poison.

Thanks for pointing out the shortcomings of the above mentioned repaint instructions. But what’s a man to do? I’ve started to dabble in the Posky tutorials some time ago which thankfully appear to be up to date unlike so many others available on the net. But alas, the language – need I say more.

Far from being the brightest, I do pride myself in being able to follow clear cut instructions, but when essential words or hints are missing in a sentence, I tend to lose the plot.

And why the secrecy? (This is gonna be slightly off topic, sorry.)

Back in the days of FS2002 (and I “only” owned the non-professional version) I badly wanted to import add-on aircraft into the sim. According to Microsoft only experienced users should attempt to do so. Being a good boy I adhered to that nonsensical “advice” for more than a year when I chanced upon “Grumpy’s” clearcut and straightforward tutorial. Since that fortunate day I have literally installed and uninstalled hundreds of aircraft, sounds, panels and textures. A few hiccups on the way, naturally.

Back to the topic:

If the creators/authors of textures, models, sceneries and all the other add-ons which are too numerous to mention misplace their socks in the fridge it is by no means a reflection on their character or mental state but rather a sign of their utter devotion to their work and is to be commended.

About compatibility: How often have I read that “…if you happen to use another graphics editor, the instructions still apply…” As if!
I actually managed to repaint a 737 (sort of) using PSP8 with the aid of an outdated manual (PSP7) and finally resorted to approach Carla of Prestigious Dames to teach me how to draw a straight line. Carla was the light at the end of the tunnel.
But the Gods were against me. The trial period of PSP8 expired and I switched to Photoshop 7.0 .
Now to you initiates out there this switch might not even be worth a mention, but for me who is less than a beginner it was a very traumatic experience.

I’m done crying.

Now to the suggestion/plea/request:

The “Gimp” – open source, hence free of charge. No doubt not nearly as polished and sophisticated as the Big Boys, plus the occasional bug. But bugs are not disasters; and then there are the forums!

I wonder if one of you artists could find the time and be willing to give Gimp a good workout and see if a tutorial would be a feasible undertaking.
Surely no one in their right mind expects a masterpiece overnight. However some feedback or a pointer in the right direction I am certain will be appreciated by all.

Last but not least thanks Picasso for your pointing us away from yet another arduous, timeconsuming and possibly useless detour.

Regards, Rick Wall Bashing Help!

Picasso Guest

Hi Rick - firstly - my comments on the aircraft were in no way meant to denigrate the author - in fact, before posting these comments, I tried to send an email to the author pointing out the anomalies - but like most of these email addresses - it didn't work. Flight Simmers, the world over are in great debt to those authors for their dedicated work in supplying free aircraft, scenery, etc.
I am in awe of those people who compile instructions/tutorials/what have you - as it is an extremely time consuming task, full of pitfalls - when a slight typo can alter the meaning of a sentence, especially so, when you are dealing witha complex editor like PSP - the Internet is full of people who have gone mad trying to follow the PSP instructions.
I have no knowledge of Gimp but will have a look at it and see if it can do the same things as PSP in relation to repaintig. I am a bit short of time and the moment but will be back in touch.
Cheers

Rick Lee Guest

Thanks for your perspective Picasso,

as I mentioned earlier, nobody expects a result overnight, and I certainly share your admiration for every single toiling enthusiast who contributes to making our great hobby even more enjoyable. Hence, for the last two years or so, my dream has been to learn how to repaint - putting a little bit back into the community that has given me so much.

I'm the stubborn type and one way or another, one day, I'll be producing a nice texture for my favourite MD-11.

Thanks again, Picasso - in case anyone else is interested in the "Gimp", here's the link Arrow http://www.gimp.org/

Regards,Rick

Picasso Guest

Sorry I have taken so long to come back but I downloaded/installed Gimp
(not just as straight forward as it seemed). My first surprise was the way that it handled or more like, didn't handle bmp format images (you have to Export and Convert), which is essential for repainting and although it has most of the functions of PSP and even recognises PSP format, I found it cumbersome. During the processes I carried out, I got an odd Dialogue Box Message advising me that there was 'no disk in the drive' - I did not want get involved with seeking support from the software authors, who in all likeliehood would have solved that problem immediately as my purpose was to give you a quick response.
I did attempt to paint an Airline name on one of the default 737's but instead of being printed on the forward section of the port side it was cramped into the very rear of the port side of the plane when I brought it up in FS9
I then found that if I wanted to change the color/font or anything of that airline name - a straight forward operation in any reasonable editor - I had to delete the whole thing and start from square 1. This anomaly is actually written into the instructions. Repainting is repetitive enough without having to redo all work you have carried out, to change one element of the subject .
I must admit I didn't consult the instructions very much as I presumed that being an image editor it would follow certain conventions/functions common to most editors. As far as Gimp is concerned, this is not true .
There is no doubt that the photo editing of Gimp is its strong point but often not what repainters want - of course, I may be doing Gimp an injustice and there may be repainters who use it and find it satisfactory.
I am all for an easy life - the editor I use is the product of a UK-based company - it does everyting that Adobe PhotoShop does - is much simpler to use and costs a tenth of the price - some are available on Ebay.com and even cheaper on Ebay.co.uk
If you would like to swap email addresses then I would do my best to get you into repainting your first aircraft as long as you understand that I might not be available 24/7.

Rick Lee Guest

Thanks Picasso, I really didn't expect your downloading, installing and testdriving the "Gimp" so soon. Sorry it turned out to be a disappointment after all the effort. I understand what you're saying in your (may I call it evaluation) of the app. when I read it, but frankly, I wouldn't be able to repeat it. Obviously still a foreign language for me.

I appreciate your offer of swapping e-mail addresses, here's mine:

candymaniathreethreezeroatyahoodotcom

Should I indeed succeed in repainting my first aircraft then here's what I'll do : I'll take the best screenshot my puter is able to produce, print it out, have it enlarged, elaminated and framed. Then I'll nail it to the most prominent wall of my humble abode and explain to each admiring visitor that this is indeed an Original Picasso.

Thanks again, not being available 24/7 to my thinking is a virtue rather than a shortcoming. We're not mad, are we?

Regards, Rick