Captain Sim is crap!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I decided to buy their Legendary 727. First, while my firewall asked if I wanted to allow their install program to phone home, the install program decided to quit and lock me out for an hour.

I wish I had quit there because this morning when I finally got it installed this morning, there was a worse surprise.

On starting up FS9, I got a message that and older version of fsuipc.dll than I have was required. A minute later, FS9 crashed. This is repeatable.

I am going to make it one of my missions in life to destroy them. They should rename the product Hideous 727.

Now I know why they have no live email address, only that dumb form on their web site. Evil or Very Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad

Answers 20 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
robbier First Officer

i dont know why that stuff happened!! i have never had any problem with any of captainsims products

Pro Member Chief Captain

All I know is that fsuipc.dll bombs because my FS9 is build 9.01.4091 rather than 9.00.3062.

To make matters worse, in order to get any tech support from them, I have to register for their @#$%^&! forums. Wall Bashing

Well, if they want to air their dirty laundry in public rather than by email, I certainly will make them regret it.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Sorry you're having so many problems, but let me tell you about the bright side: You're getting a hell of a plane. I don't think you will have flown anything quite like it.

Three engines and no electronics (ok I'm exaggerating, but... not much!). Raw power, hard iron and all that stands between you and total, out-of-control annihilation... your basic piloting skills.

Propulsion: 3 engines
Navigation: The human brain!

You'll love it Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain

If I ever get to fly it. So far, I have not gotten the confirmation email from them that I need to activate my access to their tech support.

After installing it, FS no longer works. The one thing I like to do to relax has been destroyed thanks to Captain Sim. If I have to stasrt from scratch, I am going to go ballistic.

Pro Member Trainee
nadaman Trainee

So you have to have an old version of fsuipc as opposed to the newest verion (3.50)?

Pro Member Chief Captain

That was true. I went to their site to complain that I couldn't solve the problem because their confirmation email never arrived. I finally got a duplicate email and was able to enter their support site which contained information about the problem.

In response to my complaint to them about the initial installation problem, they blamed it on my firewall/my antivirus/my antispyware and suggested turning them off. These people haven't looked at conditons on the internet recently.

In response to my complaint about not receiving the confirmation email, they blamed it on my antispam program. Wrong. Our servers tag and bag, i.e., they place suspected spam in a separate folder which I checked.

To be fair, they did have the correct information on resolving the problem on their web site (once I was able to access it). Also, they did include a reference to fsuipc.dll in the documentation, but no reference to the fact that the older version they supply would break FS9.1,

Thank goodness the 727 is excellent. Otherwise, I'd be on a plane carrying a baseball bat to pound some sense into them.
[rant_mode_off]

Pro Member Trainee
nadaman Trainee

So once you updated your fsuipc it all works fine now, But initially they blamed it on firewall etc?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Now, not to take their side, it is advisable to turn off antivirus/spyware software when installing some programs... depends on what you use of course, but if you have 3-4 programs checking the installation.. something's bound to go wrong.

I'm glad everything went well (see? 😀 ). Enjoy your great new plane!

Pro Member Chief Captain

nadaman wrote:

So once you updated your fsuipc it all works fine now, But initially they blamed it on firewall etc?

It all works now, but what they blamed on the firewall was that their install program has to phone home and in the time it took me to click OK on the firewall popup, the program gave up and their site enforced a one hour delay in authorizing installation. The PDF that references fsuipc.dll says nothing about the version they supply which overwrote the one I had would break FS9.1. Quality installation programs never overwrite newer files without, at least asking first.

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Crash,

Seems like this is the case many times when we deal with addons. Buy the download and we are almost always on our own less a ton of documentation and if then statements. One must stretch his brain to the limit to deduce what is going on before anything can be done, and when we have a concept of the diagnosis we find ourselves on our own once again. Not to say it's terminal just that it is frustrating at times. Many of these companies are seriously falling off the the support dept. I guess It'is always a learn by doing issue with us in Sim. Physician, or FS pilot, ...heal thyself??? 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain

I've calmed down a bit. (I wonder how high my blood pressure got.)

In this day and age, an installation program that does not accommodate necessary security programs is akin to an instruction manual that can only be read if you stand naked under a street light.

Programmers as far back as the 80's learned not to arbitrarily replace shared files, especially if the resident one was newer than the one to be installed.

FAQs should not require a cumbersome registration process to access.

Common problems and their solutions should be in a README file, preferrably to be automatically opened at the completion of installation.

Now I have to get back to determining how this autopilot actually works. Read

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

ROFL

In this day and age, an installation program that does not accommodate necessary security programs is akin to an instruction manual that can only be read if you stand naked under a street light.

WILD!

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

I've calmed down a bit. (I wonder how high my blood pressure got.)

I bet at least FL60 😉

With downloads such as the Legendary 727, the odds are highly in your favor that your computer would be perfectly safe if you were to drop your firewall just for the duration of the download and installation.

Pro Member Chief Captain

It isn't their software that concerns me. It is what else may sneak in while the gate isn't guarded.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

By the way Crash, your airline logo is a little... spooky. Quite morbid!

Pro Member Chief Captain

It might mean you'll be so thrilled with the service that you'll never fly with another airline...or not. 😂

BTW, that is not a very forgiving plane. The best landing I've done in it so far, broke both main gear...but the nose wheel was on the center line. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

The 727? Forgiving? No Twisted Evil

The three engines are a bit of overkill - I think - so you'll have to plan your descents way ahead. The flaps are weird, there is no (real) autopilot (although once you learn how to use it you can program almost anything in it)... certainly a plane you need to read up on.

Still, there's nothing like feeling the raw power and flying it by hand. Everything analog, everything crisp and clear, everything at the tips of your hands.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I do like the smoke from the engines, though. I've gotten the heading and altitude hold to work. IAS hold is still eluding me. I found out (the hard way) never to get near stall speed clean.

About the only inaccuracy I found is I believe the whine of the engines is a couple hundred Hz lower than what I recall. But I suppose no one would want to listen to that shrill a sound for long.

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

Listen, CrashGordon, dude - just download the latest version of FSUIPC and everything's gonna be fine!

😉

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Heh, someone who just read the original post and answered? Issue resolved, pretty much Bart 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...