overclocking?

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

I considering overcloking my 6600GT but is it worth it from what I've herd the card can overheat and become unstable.If this happens can I just change back the clock speed or is thecard copletely useless ❓ .How is it done?

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

My suggestion is not to ...play...with such things...Maybe you will get in more troubles than the perfomance you want to rich.6600 is great without overclocking.

Yes it would become unstable(blue screens,fatal errors etc).

Anyway you could overclock you card from BIOS but you have to know the limits of your card in order not to burn it out.You also could cause damage too your mobo.
I think that your are changing the volts suply of your card(change in a range of 1-3 mv)in order to increase the frequency that the proccessor(VGAs) works and also to increase the frequency of the speed that memory(VGAs)is working.This is not the only setting you have to do.You are changing also the memories clock and the clocks af the busses(central proccessors periferal chips)in order to maximize the interface speed between them.

The fact is that you must know some very specific details in order to manage it.It is possible to come back to your default settings but i dont know if you will have the time to do it... 😕

I personally would give up from this idea.Of course maybe some other guy know better than me and helps you more... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Ranald have a read of this

There are many many thread asking this. In your nvidia driver control panel there is a hidden feature which allows you to overclock and monitor your clockspeeds(COOLBITS). I have attached below a the program that you can use to monitor these changes. Just extract the file and double click it so it adds itself to the registry. No more threads on how to overclock and asking what should i expect. Every card is different and like john said below do it in increments. Also once you go to the overclocking bit in the driver control panel, it will say 2d and 3d speed. Upping the 2d clocks will do nothing you must choose the 3d clocks then start upping in increments.

Please Read Carefully Below, Many thanks and all credit of this thread goes to John Spit
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_spit010
I am getting pretty bored of answering "How do I overclock my...."
"What program do i use..." I'm sure others are getting bored too.
So this thread will show you exactly how to overclock your video card.

First thing you must do is download an overclocking program like Rivatuner, Powerstrip, rage 3d tweak, etc. Dont ask which one is the best, try them yourself and see which one works best for you. Coolbits is a registry edit that enables overclocking in Nvidia cards.

Second thing is now go into the overclocking program and there should be 2 sliders: one for core and the other for memory. (If using coolbits oc in the third tab not second). Now first just work with the core. Move the slider about 5-10mhz and then go into 3d mark 2003 and check for 'snow' if there are some then ur card is oced to high also check if it locks up if so back down about 5mhz and recheck. If there is no snow then you're good to overclock further. So repeat by increasing another 5-10mhz until you reach your maximum with no 'snow or artifacts'. Also, once u have reached the maximum it is a good idea to check your temps.

Now to the memory, firstly return your core to stock. Now move the memory slider about 5-10mhz and check in 3d mark 03 for any artifacts. Repeat until you get artifacts.

Now return your core to the oced speeds u had before in order to make sure the oced core and memory work together. Run 3d mark 2003 a few times to see if you have any artifacts or any sort of problems. It is also a good idea to play an intensive 3d game for bout an hour to check for any signs of problems.

If you get artifacts or other problems then back down both the core a memory a bit. Keep doing that until you get the most stable speeds.

With that done you've finished. Everything has worked out good and you have succesfully oced your card. If you want to oc further then you will have to buy better cooling. Eg. Water cooling, VGA silencer...etc and some ram sinks if you do not have some already.

Some people ask "how far can i go?" and "why cant i get the same clocks as my friend and both of us have the same card?"

Q1 Ans: We can not tell you how far your card can go, as every card is different and you will have to try yourself.

Q2 Ans: As I said no two cards are exactly the same.

For more information pm John_spit010. Or if I have missed somethig out or I should change something tell me.
Also any overclocking you do is at your own risk.

Many thanks go to John for using his time and effort. Please read this and any posts asking how to overclock will be deleted and you will be referred to this.

To measure your overclock use 3dmark01/03/05. It will also be able to tell you if it is stable and also what benefits the overclock has done to your graphics card.

If you max out the core or push the core too far you will get artifacts or random restarts. If the core hits a certain temperature, its different for all cards but you may experience artifacts and random restarts again. Cooling the graphics card will allow you to max out your core but how far is upto how well the core is. Artifacts can be little black dots/white dots/polygon corruption. Doing a Vcore mod will often net you 30mhz more but is only suggested if you have good cooling

With the memory if you overclock that too far you will have polygons flying all over the place (stretched) quite far, as well as the normal artifacts of different pixel colours almost all over your screen. Cooling the memory will fix the pixel colour artifacts but the stretched polygons mean that you have hit the limit of the memories capabilities or the extra speed on the memory is capped by voltage by the manufacture.

The FAQ is from somewhere at Guru3d.
Spiked and I think that you should beware of these problems.

FAQ:
--------

Q. I dont see the temperature settings, is this due to my card?
A. The temp settings panel is only available with cards equipped with thermal sensors. Some cards that I know of have temp sensors are 5700 Ultra, 5800 Ultra, 5900 non-Ultra and Ultra, and 5950 ultra. But really it all comes down to the manufacturer. I have seen some 5700 and 5900 without temp sensor, but mainly the cheaper XT/LX/SE versions.

Q. The Fan always on doesn`t seem to work
A. The 'fan always on' option is for cards with the OTES (i.e. 5800U) or similar cooling system in which shuts off in 2d mode. It will force fan on even in 2D mode. Of course this means the fans on the hs/f be designed such a way that this option can work.

Q. I thought it enabled Opengl 2.0. It doesn't though.
A. OpenGL Shading Language 2.0 can only be enabled on 55.xx and higher Forceware drivers. It had not yet been implemented in older Detonator or pre 55 Forceware drivers.

Q. Where is the application profiles page?
A. It has been disabled to allow for OpenGL and Direct3d tabs. You can re-enable the application profiles page by changing its respective value to 1 in the coolbits file.

If you experience any minor problems, simply uninstall/reinstall your display driver. I would recommend using Driver Cleaner as well, especially when switching driver versions.

Unpack the achive (self extracting) and then in the setup directory simply click on the .reg file. To get to these options simply right-click on your desktop and go to 'NVIDIA Analog Display' (Win XP/2003). For Win 2000 and lower you may need to get to the Nvidia Control Panel the old way. Right click desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > GeForce xxxx

*NOTE: Coolbits 2 is not fully compatible with driver versions older than 55.xx. If you do happen to run this tweak with drivers older than 55.xx you will more than likely get errors at startup! To enable full compatibility, you must disable the options that are causing issues with your current setup.

Coolbits

This was taken from a cool web site which can be found here ➡

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/

This is good if you want to overclock your computer

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

hmmm...thanks very much guy's I dont think I will overclock it if its that risky.Dont fix it if its not broken 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

ranald wrote:

Dont fix it if its not broken 😂

Well said 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...