Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Reverse thrust

Just want to know whether any of you actually use this as usually when I am on ILS approach I always get the right speed and never feel the need for reverse thrust and when I do it seems to make the plane faster? Confused

crosscheck9 Guest

Sorry bud, you have the wrong idea regarding reverse thrust. It is always used upon touchdown. It is the means by which the plane slows down. To do this, you press and hold F2 until you open reverse thrust as much as you think is needed. You never will, (or can) open thrust reversers in mid-flight. It is absolutely cruicial for landing. I don't know how else you'd stop, for I don't think brakes would be able to do the job.

You guys must land with full thrust then! Confused
I never need the reverse on big airports the brakes suffice.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

You never will, (or can) open thrust reversers in mid-flight. It is absolutely cruicial for landing. I don't know how else you'd stop, for I don't think brakes would be able to do the job

Actually, the turboprop aircraft can engage their reverse thrust in the air.

And yes, the brakes will stop you, i mean, how else would you be able to stop on an emergency landing where you only had 1 good engine?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Always land with the throttles closed and ususally within 5 kts of the appropriate speed. While you might think you don't "need" the reverse thrust sometimes (sure, there's enough runway) you still do. Maybe not in FS, where the brakes feel the same way as the reversers and there is no (or little) danger of the front wheel collapsing.

Still, because planes want to slow down safely and want to minimize blown tyres (and don't want to make the passengers lose their meals if possible), they always use reversers Smile

crosscheck9 Guest

Well, I guess I did have a few errors in there Embarassed but the fact is, you should always land and then open reverse thrust when the nose hits the ground. I watched a show once, where a 757 captain, (he also hosted the show) was given the chance to go into a real world simulator, and try to land a 707 in inadequate runway length. He had to use the brakes + reversers, and he ended up blowing all of his tires. Keep that in mind next time you decide you don't need reversers Wink - BTW, don't forget to close the reversers at 60 KTS. Hope that helps. And FEM, thanks for correcting me there. Wink

When I do use it it never seems to have any affect on the aircraft.
I press F2 and then it speeds its self forward so just press F1 again.
Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

it is not supposed to stop you instantly it just slows you down faster and better

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Well, you may not be seeing the plane speed up, what you may be seeing is the N1 marker on the engines rising. Most of the displays don't show it going below the minimum spooled point...so when you reverse it'll just Label a little "reverse" light over the N1 indicator and raise it that way.

The main reason for reverse thrust isn't to stop you much faster, as you definitly don't want your passengers to feel that uncomfortable =). The main purpose of it is to take the pressure off the brakes! For instnace, if you select auto-brakes of level 2, the plane will always stop in the same distance along the runway with or without reverse thrust if you let them do their job. However, if you don't use autothrust, just watch those brake temperatures rise!! Right now PMDG 747 is the only aircraft to model the brake temperature + effects of it that correctly.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Have faith buddy, and HOLD F2 DOWN Very Happy

It WILL work man...it will work Cool

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Have faith buddy, and HOLD F2 DOWN Very Happy

It WILL work man...it will work Cool

there is a chance that his hotkey assignment is wrong, set to engine accelerate......