PMGD 737

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

Is it worth splashing out on the 737 range?!? If so what makes it different from other 737s that i can download? Does anyone have screen shots with the 737 is them?

Thanks

p.s. 100th post!

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Well, by all accounts it's a great add-on. Of course it costs 65 USD (if you do dole out the cash, you should get the 800-900 too).

Now, before you do pay the money, be sure you want it. It's a great model, but it has most systems simulated. That means you can't just enter the cockpit and fly. You may need 10 mins to start the plane. It also means you will have to study (read the manual over and over) in order to fly.

My suggestion: Go to the PMDG site and look at the screenshots there. Go to other aviation sites and read some reviews (people here can hook you up with links no doubt). Then make up your mind.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

All good advice from Bindolof,

It is worth the money without doubt in my view.. I paid 39.00 US. or about 46 Can. dollars for the new generation 600/700. I don't have the addon.

It takes a lot of work to learn the systems and to be able to use them properly, but it is worth it.

You can fly the airplane without programming the FMC in the beginning. The AP will function without the FMC so you can get the feel of the airplane.

But as there is no GPS, you will need to learn how to use the FMC if you want to have any idea where you are... 😂

Here are couple of pictures:

2D cockpit on final to KLAX

short final to TNCM / SXM (virtual cockpit)

Somewhere over Japan

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Based on all the talk, I bit the bullet and bought it. Okay, so I won't eat lunch for a few days to make up the cost.

WOW!!! 😀

I haven't read everything so I started at KOAK and flew to KLAX, just using altitude, heading and IAS hold. I haven't tried the V/C version yet because my system still needs a memory upgrade. Quite frame rate friendly. I flew down the coast to Los Angeles and it handled very well. Having a callout telling me how far off the ground I was, is just what I need to land this plane without breaking things.

Now, I will read the manual. Read

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

CrashGordon,
Does the 737NG have an Autoland system?

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Yes... 😎 in case GrashGordon doesn't see this... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Good thing you replied because I haven't gotten that far yet, Embarassed

What I've seen now tells me my fleet is complete.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Thanks Michael,
I'm thinking about investing in it 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

Is their any freewear planes that come close to the PMGD range?!?

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

In short, no. I've flown some truly amazing free-ware planes that I'd easily pay money for, but nothing of that realistic quality. If you spend enough time developing a TCAS system, fully functional FMC, APU/pressurization panel, detailed map displays, etc. etc. etc., you'd charge as much as they do too!

Pro Member Chief Captain

The best freeware 737 I've seen is is "The 737 Experience", a 737-700 in Continental livery. At least if my memory is still functional, that is the name, but where I found it, eludes me. Perhaps someone with better record keeping than mine has a more definitive answer.

While it is far better than the defaults or other freeware 737s, the PMDG offering is better by far.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Yes, it's a few files. Go to www.avsim.com and search the library for "The 737 Experience". It's great. Nowhere near as great as the PMDG plane (no systems are simulated really), but the graphics are good and the virtual cockpit excellent. I still think 64 dollars is a little bit too much. I only hope the FeelThere 737 (300, 400, 500) won't be more than 40ish (yea right!)

Pro Member Trainee
Kcsoccer52 Trainee

hey i know one plane in avsim.com its the ifly 737 or 747 i forget but its got an fmc thing huge guide to it also lots of stuff anyone else know of it?

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

ive got the pmdg 737 and for the past 4 days ive been trying to get the FMC working, im almost there just a few more things to do and im sorted 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jamier wrote:

ive got the pmdg 737 and for the past 4 days ive been trying to get the FMC working, im almost there just a few more things to do and im sorted 😀

Bravo! It is a pain to learn, but you will love it once you have it figured out.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well I bought the whole PMDG 737 package last summer and she is still one of my favorites. I'm thinking of going back to flying her again. I just really like the whole functionality of her. The only thing that isn't functunal in the plane is the IRS system.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...