SearchSearch 

747 Rotation

crosscheck9 Guest

A quick question regarding the 747's rotation before I go to bed - I can't seem to find the right angle at which to pull up. I download a POSKY 744, (Air France livery). At first, everytime I'd rotate, I used to get those sparks saying I commited a tailstrike -- I was convinced that it was wrong, so I just deleted the sparks effect. However, now, I can't seem to find the proper angle at which to rotate. Fully loaded, with 20 degrees of flaps, I'd pull up at Vr, about 157 KTS, and right at around 9.5 degrees, I'd hold it, but I wouldn't get any climb. It just rolls down the runway maintaining that angle, and then about 5 seconds later, it pulls up. It's not a one motion thing anymore. I'm scared to raise any more that 9.5 degrees, fearing a Real Tailstrike. Does anybody know what I could be doing wrong?

15 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

You might be rotating to early then. I know a moderately loaded 737 rotates around 150 as well, so there is no way a 744 will rotate at 157.

Also you do not want to force the plane off the runway. Take up your Vr to around 165-170 and only pitch up a few degrees and wait for the plane to lift itself, and then once off the ground pitch up to about 13-15 degrees for a few thousand feet then began to level her out and get some speed.

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

sorry guys this is kinda another question to do with rotation.

What is Rotation?

Is it a combination of Take off spead and also the angle of pull up?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Rotation is simply raising the nose at the correct speed.

FL050 is right. It sounds as if 157 KIAS is too slow. As FL050 suggests, aim for around 165-170 and even 180 if you are fairly heavy. Then pitch up at around 8 degrees, but no more than 11 or you risk tail strike. Hope it helps 😉

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks guys - I'll try it out tommorow.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

As suggested by the previous posts you want about 175kts. Try a departure from a very long international runway or Edwards AFB as you will need it when fully laden. At VR take the nose to about 15-18 degrees and try to does this smoothly at about 3 degrees per second.....hopefully no tailstrike!

crosscheck9 Guest

Thanks everyone. You were all right. I was rotating to early. This time, I had the same settings, except I decided Vr was 167 kts. I started raising the nose slowly, at about 2.5 degrees per second, and by the time I arrived at the 10 degrees mark, I had already established positive climb. Again, thanks for your help.

You guys are all Censored by Radar THe posky 744 is a terrible addon, get PMDG

State your point without insulting. Radar

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I'd rather be a Censored , than an anonymous nitwit (mean this in a friendly way) 😎

First of all, sign your posts, I'm sure you are a person and you have well documented opinions, let's hear them!

Secondly, the POSKY is fine and it's free. The PMDG is great and it's really expensive. I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

Thirdly, nothing. I'll summarize: Make rational posts and sign your name.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I'd rather be a Censored , than an anonymous nitwit (mean this in a friendly way)

🍻

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

I wait until about 175 to begin rotation. I also speed up the engines a good bit before releasing the brakes too. Make sure the ATC gives you a correct runway size for takeoff too....idiots always screw it up at KCHS.

Enjoy

AstroSteve

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

It could be your not using enough flaps. How much flaps have you been giving it?

FL050 is right. It sounds as if 157 KIAS is too slow. As FL050 suggests, aim for around 165-170 and even 180 if you are fairly heavy. Then pitch up at around 8 degrees, but no more than 11 or you risk tail strike. Hope it helps

FL050? I guess that would be 5000 MSL?

crosscheck9 Guest

Fully loaded, with 20 degrees of flaps...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

It could be your not using enough flaps. How much flaps have you been giving it?

FL050 is right. It sounds as if 157 KIAS is too slow. As FL050 suggests, aim for around 165-170 and even 180 if you are fairly heavy. Then pitch up at around 8 degrees, but no more than 11 or you risk tail strike. Hope it helps

FL050? I guess that would be 5000 MSL?

Yes, but FL050 is also a member of Fly Away.

Jon was referring to the member, not the altitude. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

On the checklist it says to apply 10 degrees of flaps before takeoff. Although I usually do 15.

Fully loaded, hmmm, maybe you've exceeded your takeoff weight.

Remember, takeoff with the wind coming toward you.

What speed are you rotating at?

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Is it possible you overlooked your trim setting. If you forget and it is set in the negative... Embarassed