Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Landing views

Pro Member Trainee
MRGPS Trainee

Gentle men,

I always find myself switching to the spot plane view seconds from touch down just to see how I flare.

Am I alone?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Of course not... Wink

crosscheck9 Guest

Your sim - your choice, but I find that you should ALWAYS stay in Cockpit view, unless your cruising comfortably. Just look at the attitude indicator, and use it for guidance.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Most of my flying is done from the spot view although landing is much more realistic from the cockpit view.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

MRGPS wrote:

Gentle men,

I always find myself switching to the spot plane view seconds from touch down just to see how I flare.

Am I alone?

I stay in the cockpit then pause the flight, go to options and select replay. Then I view my landing from outside the cockpit. On replay you can view it from the cockpit or any other place you could normally fly from just as if you were flying the aircraft.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

I am with WarHawk42, I land in the cockpit then replay to chekout the landing. I usually do a save on approach just in case I want to practice landing, especially if the plane is new to me.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

I'm a cheater I use spot view as well....Gotta see those tires come down nice and easy everytime. While I am here don't you hate when you exit the runway and contact 'Ground' and they taxi you to park on the oppisite side of the runway?!?!?!

Arggghhhh!!!!!!

Twisted Evil

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

While I am here don't you hate when you exit the runway and contact 'Ground' and they taxi you to park on the oppisite side of the runway?!?!?!

Yes Very Happy it would be real good if control did not assume I was farmiliar with the airport (I know get a airport map like the real pilots) they are prompting you at times anyway to exit the runway. They would prompt you like Sylvester the cat "exit stage left" exit runway left.

sheac1141 Guest

I use the virtual cockpit view

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I use cockpit view most of the time. VC is better in some aircraft like the DC-3.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

lkw wrote:

I am with WarHawk42, I land in the cockpit then replay to chekout the landing. I usually do a save on approach just in case I want to practice landing, especially if the plane is new to me.

For me that is the only realistic way to make a landing. Some planes are difficult to land while in the cockpit like the Waco. Seeing over that big nose when on approach is impossible. What I do with a plane like that is make a very short final. It's still difficult, but it's a lot easier than making a long approach.

I do review my landings on replay.