why won't they run straight?

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I have great difficulty in getting planes to take-off in a straight line and have to correct hard on the twist of the joystick - they veer off and almost any movement causes another swerve in the opposite direction - I am lighthanded but still have problems - anybody got any ideas.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Are you using a joystick?If yes, have you calibrate it before use?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Here are some suggestions from MS on joystick problems, I hope they will solve your problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;260183

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;841018

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Thank you for your response to my query.

Yes, I do have a joystick and have to recalibrate the throttle and twist each time I run the sim.

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

You are likely fighting the P-factor and engine torque.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I can understand fighting engine torque with single-engine propellor aircraft but exactly the same thing happens with twin jets, such as the Boeing 737 and also I downloaded a Short"Scylla" and had a job to keep that straight and on the middle of the runway.

Currently studying the microsoft info that appears above.

Thanks to all of you for responding so helpfully.

spuddi Guest

another thing to look at is the sensitivities on the rudder axis

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I get that too. It can be remedied by using the differential brakes (F11 and F12).

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Many thanks to you both for the suggestions which I will check out

rgds Mike (alias aldeeb)

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Joystick issues:

Sometimes a total reinstall is necessary but I would follow the links RadarMan gave you first. You can always opt to reset your default before taking the drastic measure of reinstalling though. --Good luck.

Reset the default actions:

To reset the default actions assigned to the game controller, follow these steps:

1. Start a new flight in Flight Simulator 2002 or in Flight Simulator 2004 - Century of Flight.
2. On the main screen, click Settings.
3. In the Controls box, click Assignments.
4. On the Buttons/Keys tab, click Reset defaults.
5. On the Joystick Axes tab, click Reset defaults.
6. To determine whether the default events are selected for your 4-axis game controller, verify that the Axis settings for each event match the settings in the following table.

Event Axis
Elevator axis Y
Ailerons axis X
Rudder axis Z Rotation
Throttle axis Slider

If the default event is assigned to an axis but the event behaves in reverse--for example, up instead of down, or right instead of left, click to select or click to clear the check box under the Reverse column for that axis.

7. Click OK.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Very many thanks for your helpful posting which I will follow through and hopefully put an end to my erratic behaviour on the runway, probably also affects landings as I mostly have difficulty persuading the plane to head straight for the runway and often land half on the grass edges.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...